god is too complex for my small vocabulary.......

I came across this on the Judaism 101 web site:
  1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal
  5. Prayer is to be directed to G-d alone and to no other
  6. The words of the prophets are true
  7. Moses's prophecies are true, and Moses was the greatest of the prophets
  8. The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses
  9. There will be no other Torah
  10. G-d knows the thoughts and deeds of men
  11. G-d will reward the good and punish the wicked
  12. The Messiah will come
  13. The dead will be resurrected
My first, and I'll admit lazy, impression was how similar to what I've read of Islam in the past couple of years. This shows how long I've been absent from Christanity. I'm glad you weren't offended because no offence was intended.

Right now, the mysticism of the kabbalists doesn't turn me on 'cause I got the fixin's for some Fr-nch Onion soup for tomorrow. :D

"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

Yorda said:
"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."
Mmmmmm, sounds almost Islamic! (Jeeze, did I say that?)

marv said:
I came across this on the Judaism 101 web site:
  1. G-d exists
  2. G-d is one and unique
  3. G-d is incorporeal
  4. G-d is eternal
  5. Prayer is to be directed to G-d alone and to no other
  6. The words of the prophets are true
  7. Moses's prophecies are true, and Moses was the greatest of the prophets
  8. The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses
  9. There will be no other Torah
  10. G-d knows the thoughts and deeds of men
  11. G-d will reward the good and punish the wicked
  12. The Messiah will come
  13. The dead will be resurrected
My first, and I'll admit lazy, impression was how similar to what I've read of Islam in the past couple of years. This shows how long I've been absent from Christanity. :D

well, even i have a problem with some facts of judaism. the practitioners of the belief are just as guilty as others of perpetuating the "cranky old man" mental picture.

one cannot start a sentence with the words "god is", and end it having said ANYTHING meaningful.

hope you enjoy your food. *hands you an after-dinner mint* (peppermint)

Yorda said:

this quote directly points at those on "mystical" fringes of judaism. certain intonations of hebrew letters can affect reality (moses parting the red sea), according to kabbalistic belief.

that is why the information the greeks recieved for the septuagint was flawed.

when (for the life of me, i cant remember his name :m: ) a greek king wanted a copy of the torah, the hebrew priests despaired. they regarded the torah as an "operator's manual" to the universe (this is one of the tenets of kabbalism). but they happened on a solution. every time a name of god appeared in the torah, they used gold ink to write "god" or "the lord", instead of the actual hebrew letters used. that way, people that werent trained in the study would not have such a potentially destructive force on their hands.

thats how important the name (s) of the one source is, to the kabbalist.

so yes.....its bad to misuse the name.... probably better off NOT using it at all. :)

Um. I was just quoting from the Bible since I think writing "G-d" doesn't prevent the misusing of GOD's name. You can't write with your "heart" that 'G-d" is a @#%&', and think that you haven't misused his name.

Yorda said:
Um. I was just quoting from the Bible since I think writing "G-d" doesn't prevent the misusing of GOD's name. You can't write with your "heart" that 'G-d" is a @#%&', and think that you haven't misused his name.

*smiles*
very true.
i was just informing further on the subject. :D

Back