God is love or we Get Infinite punishment for our finite sins

It still doesn't alter the fact that it whether it's "good" or not is an opinion.
You're not replying to what I write but seem to be having some entirely other conversation in your head.

Opinion does not detract. Firstly, a law inclines for the benefit of the community first - the individual is important but secondary here - which includes one's opinion. There is only law and lawlessness.

There are 613 laws in the Hebrew bible - and all are active today. There are no laws outside these 613.
623. The 613 figure doesn't count the ten commandments.

And you're wrong, there are laws outside of those.
How many of the laws in the bible refer to speed limits in urban areas? Or which hours it is legal to use your car horn?
Which Hebrew law defines the hours pubs can serve beer?
Or even at what age patrons may be served alcoholic beverages?
And, if you do find that particular law could you also find where it states specifically that the age will vary depending upon whether you're in the US or the UK?
Thanks.

Some people may like what I consider evil. And vice versa.

by considering evil, are you saying that you believe in such a thing? that there are absolutes regarding what it is? or by mentioning what someone might like, are you suggesting that a child molester just has a different point of view than you do, and that's ok?

i'm asking because if there are absolutes, isn't an existence without the influence or consequence of evil possible? mathematically?

Opinion does not detract. Firstly, a law inclines for the benefit of the community first - the individual is important but secondary here - which includes one's opinion. There is only law and lawlessness.
I didn't say it "detracted".
Again you're not replying to what I write.

Well there are a lot of sets of laws out there and they do not fit with each other and everybody seems to have an opinion. Whether we are talking about secular laws or divine laws.

A law is varied from opinion. Unlike opinions, a law must be accepted and ratified in formal institutions, free from belief and religion. Here, it is not subject to opinion. So which of the Hebrew laws are not ratified by bona fide institutions - or conversely, which of those laws are successfully fullfilled so they don't apply anymore? If the answer in both cases is zero - then how can we measure the veracity of the term 'fullfilled'?

by considering evil, are you saying that you believe in such a thing? that there are absolutes regarding what it is?
If I thought there were absolutes to evil how could I have written that there may be things that I consider evil and others don't and vice versa?

or by mentioning what someone might like are you suggesting that a child molester just has a different point of view than you do and that's ok?
It's an extreme example (and not one I'd use - although it does leave me in a tricky position vis-a-vis THAT particular "evil"), but I definitely had, er, "lesser evils" in mind. This is one problem when people use the word "evil" - note that it was IamJoseph who used it first. Like "love" it can have numerous connotations.

i'm asking because if there are absolutes, isn't an existence without the influence or consequence of evil possible? mathematically?
I'm not sure you apply maths to evil...

A law is varied from opinion.
Is this an opinion of yours or a law and how do you know?

Unlike opinions, a law must be accepted and ratified in formal institutions, free from belief and religion.
But then, they aren't. Or are all 627 laws ratified, etc.?

Here, it is not subject to opinion. So which of the Hebrew laws are not ratified by bona fide institutions - or conversely, which of those laws are successfully fullfilled so they don't apply anymore?
I assume you know these laws better than me. If the kosher laws are included well then not all of them. Which of them are not ratified in the US for example? Or pick whatever country you know best.
If the answer in both cases is zero - then how can we measure the veracity of the term 'fullfilled'?
I'm not sure what makes you think I have a stance on whether these laws written by men and not women from a specific culture have been fulfilled.

623. The 613 figure doesn't count the ten commandments.

There's no 10 - the rest kept streaming down unceasingly to the count of 613, and all the laws have equal validity. The reason I asked which laws were fullfilled.

And you're wrong, there are laws outside of those.

No - there are none.

How many of the laws in the bible refer to speed limits in urban areas? Or which hours it is legal to use your car horn?
Which Hebrew law defines the hours pubs can serve beer?
Or even at what age patrons may be served alcoholic beverages?
And, if you do find that particular law could you also find where it states specifically that the age will vary depending upon whether you're in the US or the UK?
Thanks.

Those are derivitives from the laws. Car, trains and planes - which never existed then, must correspond to not harming others, which is exemplified by the law to built safety paraphets in one's home: no need to list car and trains here. Here, if a robber enters a house and gets hurt due to lack of safety features, he can sue the home owner - as aside from being jailed for robbery! Pubs close at certain times to cater to safety factors again. This extends to safety of domestic animals as well - like the law forbidding to leave a hole in the ground in an animal's vicinity, which requires all forms of measures taken to protect those animals, and applies to future times. The law is akin to a scientific equation.

I may have missed it Lori...

did you respond to this

Originally Posted by Lori_7
no, i'm not, and i don't think god is either. i don't know what happens when we die, and neither do you, and neither does anyone else. you don't know what that door opens up to.

Me: Look at the following exchange....

Originally Posted by Hapsburg
Assuming hell exists, which I don't believe at all.
Either way, it's absurd to punish people for simply not being Christian.
You...

to not participate in a way to abolish sin? when sin is what causes a condition like hell?
Here he says it is absurd to punish people for simply not being Christian and you disagree since they must be not participating in a way to abolish sin.
But when I raise an specific example regarding a young Muslim man, you no longer say it. Which is it Lori
the good, young Muslim man following the religion of his village and parents necessarily goes to hell if he dies a Muslim? or if he is a good person he too can go to heaven?

There's no 10 - the rest kept streaming down unceasingly to the count of 613, and all the laws have equal validity.
There's no ten? So what was on the stone tablets that Moses got?

The reason I asked which laws were fullfilled.
What do you mean by "fulfilled"?

No - there are none.
Nonsense.

Those are derivitives from the laws.
Wrong.

Car, trains and planes - which never existed then, must correspond to not harming others, which is exemplified by the law to built safety paraphets in one's home: no need to list car and trains here. Here, if a robber enters a house and gets hurt due to lack of safety features, he can sue the home owner - as aside from being jailed for robbery!
I have no idea what a "paraphet" is. But you're wrong about suing a home owner. Oh wait! Are you talking about a local (geographically-limited) law?

Pubs close at certain times to cater to safety factors again.
Wrong.
And even it weren't wrong it wouldn't explain the age discrepancy between the UK and US for example.

The law is akin to a scientific equation.
Also wrong.

Is this an opinion of yours or a law and how do you know?

Its mandated in writ form with a quotable reference to the law.

But then, they aren't. Or are all 627 laws ratified, etc.?

Yes, absolutely. The ritual laws are active [such as dietery and festival laws, pre-fixed 'unto you'], as well as the non-ritual moral, ethical and judiciary laws fixed in bona fide institutions.

I assume you know these laws better than me. If the kosher laws are included well then not all of them. Which of them are not ratified in the US for example? Or pick whatever country you know best.
I'm not sure what makes you think I have a stance on whether these laws written by men and not women from a specific culture have been fulfilled.

Dietary laws are ritual laws and do not apply to everyone. But all animal rights laws come from the Hebrew bible - and are accepted as imperative in the judiciary system. The first women's rights laws also come from the same source. Basically, I am saying not a single of those 613 laws have been dented by any other belief system.

There's no ten? So what was on the stone tablets that Moses got?

The 10 were in stone, then the people cried not to give them directly from a fire, and the rest were handed down via Moses. For example, all the animal rights laws are not included in the first 10 laws, nor the judiciary laws such as the forbidence to hear only one party's claims - which ushered in our legal systems and courts.

What do you mean by "fulfilled"?

That is my question, with no forthcoming answers. I see the term fullfilled as a negation of the laws, and a lost cause.

I have no idea what a "paraphet" is. But you're wrong about suing a home owner. Oh wait! Are you talking about a local (geographically-limited) law?

No, the law must be global and extend beyond religious and ethnic borders, to the extent where that law is not observed by any nation, that nation is seen as operating outside the law.

And even it weren't wrong it wouldn't explain the age discrepancy between the UK and US for example.

It still comes under the law not to harm others - regardless of a pub's closing times or that each nation has varied seed limits. Its the principle of the law which kicks in.

The 10 were in stone, then the people cried not to give them directly from a fire, and the rest were handed down via Moses. For example, all the animal rights laws are not included in the first 10 laws, nor the judiciary laws such as the forbidence to hear only one party's claims - which ushered in our legal systems and courts.
Which answers my question how?

That is my question, with no forthcoming answers. I see the term fullfilled as a negation of the laws, and a lost cause.
Er okay...

No, the law must be global and extend beyond religious and ethnic borders, to the extent where that law is not observed by any nation, that nation is seen as operating outside the law.
:roflmao:
By whom?
You have yet to quote me the relevant part of the bible that indicates, for example, what age someone is allowed to be served alcohol. And is it the UK (which doesn't prosecute a home-owner if a burglar gets injured) or the US (which does) that is "outside the law"?

It still comes under the law not to harm others
No it doesn't.
If someone can be harmed by being served at a particular age then which age is correct?

regardless of a pub's closing times or that each nation has varied seed limits. Its the principle of the law which kicks in.
You're still grasping frantically.

And how many people (I asked this last time and got no answer) follow Leviticus 25:46? To keep the Canaanite slave forever.

Its mandated in writ form with a quotable reference to the law.
To what in your opinion is the law, right?

Yes, absolutely. The ritual laws are active [such as dietery and festival laws, pre-fixed 'unto you'], as well as the non-ritual moral, ethical and judiciary laws fixed in bona fide institutions.
Oh, you mean some institutions, the one's that in your opinion are bona fide.

Dietary laws are ritual laws and do not apply to everyone. But all animal rights laws come from the Hebrew bible - and are accepted as imperative in the judiciary system. The first women's rights laws also come from the same source. Basically, I am saying not a single of those 613 laws have been dented by any other belief system.
Do you have a list of these laws you could link us to? Hell, I thought in the OT a woman who remarries could be stoned to death. I don't think very many bona fide institutions accept that law.

If I thought there were absolutes to evil how could I have written that there may be things that I consider evil and others don't and vice versa?

It's an extreme example (and not one I'd use - although it does leave me in a tricky position vis-a-vis THAT particular "evil"), but I definitely had, er, "lesser evils" in mind. This is one problem when people use the word "evil" - note that it was IamJoseph who used it first. Like "love" it can have numerous connotations.

what if it doesn't have numerous connotations? what if it's law like everything else in the universe?

I'm not sure you apply maths to evil...

i think you can apply math to everything. i think there is law in everything, and i think that law is a part of what god is...the creator, the father, the judge...

the counselor, the intercessor,

the savior, the redeemer.

it's all about law.

what if it doesn't have numerous connotations? what if it's law like everything else in the universe?
Regardless of whether or not I agree with you on it being a "law" the fact remains that it DOES have numerous connotations since there is no universal agreement on what "evil" means.

i think you can apply math to everything.
What you think and what is real are two different things. There is no calculus of human emotion (that's available to us at least).

i think there is law in everything, and i think that law is a part of what god is...the creator, the father, the judge...
the counselor, the intercessor,
the savior, the redeemer.
it's all about law.
Yeah, that's one view.

What you think and what is real are two different things. There is no calculus of human emotion (that's available to us at least).

Well said.

Yeah, that's one view.

An absolutist one.
You know, characteristic of all the major ideologies that have been responsible for mass slaughter and destruction....

Lori, you're digging yourself a grave here...

Back