God has voted.

The judicial system: a system constructed to mete justice to those who have commited an infraction against the societies accepted rules. Let's use ours as an example.

If you get caught stealing (and it's not about feeinding your starving family), is it right for a judge, a jury and a lawyer (all humans) prosecute you? Is right for them to judge you?

Roman said:
The judicial system: a system constructed to mete justice to those who have commited an infraction against the societies accepted rules. Let's use ours as an example.

If you get caught stealing (and it's not about feeinding your starving family), is it right for a judge, a jury and a lawyer (all humans) prosecute you? Is right for them to judge you?

The judge is not prosecuting - he is residing over proceedings, a jury is there to provide an impartial ear to come to a verdict of not guilty or guilty depending on the evidence and the lawyer is there to represent the interests of his client. The only person prosecuting is the agrieved party. If they ( the agrieved) catches you stealing they have a duty to report you so that you may be brought to trial. The actual punishment meted out will be set by the judge having heard all the evidence and only then if 12 people agree that you should have known better than to steal.
I see nothing wrong in this system if it is carried out on a fair basis.

Alright, so you would agree then that man may judge men, and it is not soley God's job to judge?

Actually the agrieved party here - the prosecution, is seeking 'damages' or 'loss of earnings' , they are not seeking to judge the character of the thief. The thiefs character is not being prosecuted. Far from seeking to 'condemn' the thief, the law tries to get the thief to see the error of his ways by issuing a fitting punishment in the hope that He will 'repent' or 'be reformed' - the prosecution just wants their financial loss to be compensated.
It is non-personal - do you see?

Eh? There is still a judgement, and still punishment.
The thief must still stand trial, whether his character is judged (which does in fact occur during trials) was not my question. My question is: is it ok for this man to be judged?
The reason for the prosecutor prosecuting is monetary and propriety– the reason he is hired may be personal.
But we digress.
One more time:
Is the justice system correct in judging man?

Roman said:
Eh? There is still a judgement, and still punishment.
The thief must still stand trial, whether his character is judged (which does in fact occur during trials) was not my question. My question is: is it ok for this man to be judged?
The reason for the prosecutor prosecuting is monetary and propriety– the reason he is hired may be personal.
But we digress.
One more time:
Is the justice system correct in judging man?

Yes. The justice system is correct in judging man after all it is their job to do so.
If anyone in the justice system feels they are a hypocrite however, then they should probably resign from their job.

Roman: I forgot where I was going with this.
M*W: The judicial system of our government is not as fair as it would seem. It depends on who you know not what you know. Sometimes, the judicial system is very biased toward certain individuals. The biggest problem I see with the US judicial system is the number of drug-related offenses that are on the dockets. In fact, drug-related convictions are running amok in our legal system. These individuals who use, abuse and sell recreational drugs are clogging up the 'system.' Lawyers, at least in my town, view these convictions as a waste of time and not really that 'bad' in the greater scheme of things. The drug business is rampant in Texas, and from what I've learned, in the remotest locations of Appalachia, too. Jail time doesn't rehabilitate these individuals -- it just teaches the offenders how to avoid prosecution. If drugs such as marijuana and other subtances were not considered a felony, this would clear our dockets for the real murderers, child molesters, and the various and sundry white collar criminals. These people need rehabilitation, not incarceration. Incarceration only prolongs the problem.

I don't mean to imply that I agree with this rampant drug abuse, I would prefer to see some real rehabilitation, but that would need to be chosen by the offender -- not the court. Forced rehabilitation never works.

Back