God can only help, not hurt - Japan Earthquake, and the religious response.

I didn't experience that sniper as someone who has to turn to God because otherwise he would be too weak to shoot.
He seemed to me to be someone to whom God was important, and as such, he turned to God in all his daily business (whether working in the garden or shooting as a soldier).

I still stand by my statement. The battlefield, of all places, is not a place for the distraction of religious belief. If you want to pray, then pray. But do so when your life isn't on the line. Again, its counterproductive and a waste of time. You're there to do a job, one of which your life and the lives of others depend on your responsiveness and performance.. In the heat of battle, the only thing I want to be hearing is my fellow comrades gun firing. If I instead hear prayer, that means he's not doing his job and is increasing the risk of injury or death to both himself and me. That's not someone I'd ever want to serve with. Pray on your own time, not mine.

I still stand by my statement. The battlefield, of all places, is not a place for the distraction of religious belief. If you want to pray, then pray. But do so when your life isn't on the line. Again, its counterproductive and a waste of time. You're there to do a job, one of which your life and the lives of others depend on your responsiveness and performance.. In the heat of battle, the only thing I want to be hearing is my fellow comrades gun firing. If I instead hear prayer, that means he's not doing his job and is increasing the risk of injury or death to both himself and me. That's not someone I'd ever want to serve with. Pray on your own time, not mine.
You know that Bhagavad gita was spoken on a battlefield?

And that the main player, arjuna, was reluctant to fight for a host of materialistic reasons?

For the sake of accuracy in response, I've taken the liberty of numbering the main points of the previous posts so that I may respond accordingly to each individual comment.

1) On what grounds is this evident? The opposite effect comes to mind when you state that by acknowledging and attaching one’s self to God that one is, essentially, no longer ignorant.

If anything, by that supernatural attachment, one is simply ignoring one’s own self and the reality of the world around them by attaching themselves to the quite unproven ideology of a being which cannot be perceived within the realm of our senses. It is that blind faith, hence the 'blind', that results in the ignorance of the true nature of this earth and of reality itself.

2) Now, we touch on the world of physics and, more specifically, into Einstein's theory of relativity - but with a twist to accommodate the reference of human condition and existence.

This argument is only valid when you place the center of existence and experience in yourself. What happens when you base experience and from another point, say that of a stem of grass or of God itself? "My" becomes "The".

But that's a whole different discussion.

3) So religion isn't religion if it doesn't revolve around the idea of a God and the service to it? That seems a bit egotistical and ultimately closed-minded. Is it not, in your opinion, possible that one can achieve a higher existence as well as higher morality and furthered awareness without the revolvement of one’s own self to God?

4) This has nothing to do with coping mechanisms. I am referring to the basic fundamental difference among various religions and their individual interpretations of the supernatural; (God, the afterlife, existence of a soul, eating meat, etc). The basic moral differences between each religion and each subtopic are the focus. Most theists set their morals in the worship of God. If you don't believe in or worship God, it is immoral. Buddhists on the other hand, don't take the same moral stance; they do not place their moral standards in such belief.

Thank you, John.

1) The ideas that "God is good" and that "all God's creation is good" really aren't that far apart, according to their theology. The simple ideas and beliefs that most Christians uphold is that A) God is good. B) God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent. C) God wants the best for us.

In those beliefs one could argue that if God is truly A, B and C, then that because he is B, then he would ensure that we do have a perfect existence - that suffering would be non-existent, that the universe would be perfectly made in our favor. Of course, neither are the case. The morality of God, according to most Abrahamic religions, seems quite flawed. And I'd go so far as to even say that basic human and social moral constructs are higher and more deserving of respect and admiration than that of the God that is written about in the Old and New Testaments.

If God truly was working for our best interest, he wouldn't (according to the Bible), have created the flood, natural disasters, disease, pestilence, illness, or even the fruit of the tree of knowledge in the beginning. The serpent would have never existed, nor even the simple temptation of the fruit.

And to go a few steps further, God - if he was truly omniscient and omnipresent, wouldn't have been able to lose Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, as is presented in Genesis 3:9. Of course, this isn't the only example we have, again, according to the Bible, that God is clearly not an all-knowing, all-present being.

2) Yes, it is not a distant fact that we are born into suffering. It is an ongoing struggle of survival which contains the inevitability and certainty of death, regardless of how well we attempt to live our lives. The fact that the Bible expresses such a view is not evident or supportive of the books credibility. It is merely a fact of life, interpreted and translated into that which can be expressed to the religious, though I would hope that, religious or not, everyone has the common sense to acknowledge that living is a struggle of survival and that the only option in the end is death. And that is why, I believe, that religions exist in the first place; to find an alternative to death (life after death). That is the core of religious belief and motivation. We want to live. If we are promised life beyond life, we want it and we will do anything to ensure that we get it, including the adherence to morally bankrupt and contradictory dogmas.

3) The excuse that God is unknowable and thus impossible of our understanding and that we must simply have blind faith is a non-evidential argument that holds no credibility, much less moral comfort. And the paradoxical hypocrisy that I find in this argument is that Christians claim as fact that they know the truth and that it is written in the Bible. They say that they know God's word and his will. Furthermore, many go leaps and bounds further to claim that God speaks directly to them and that they have a "personal relationship with Jesus/God". YET, in the very next sentence, when confronted with an inquiry which neither them nor their faith can answer, they shy down and say, word for word, the very thing you have.

Personally, I'd rather not have a sniper who has to stop, pray, and kiss is rosary or cross every time he has to pull the trigger. It's a waste of time. You're either mentally stable enough to be able to deal with trials of war by yourself, or you're not. You're either a good shot or you're not. There is no evidence to support that ritual increases ability or skill.

Agree'd. However, the same can be said from reading the Bible, can it not?

1) on the grounds that god realization incorporates a more complete sense of self and reality - granted that one can have a host of other attachments as well as god, which can effectively compete with each other ... but that is something else aside from unalloyed attachment.

2) actually you are talking about placing one's center of existence in a body that took place in a particular environment and which will shortly cease to exist - granted that it bears some relationship with the self, but its not a complete one nor is it one that is capable of encapsulating all altruistic endeavors (since its necessarily limited)

3) One can achieve a higher state, but only within the confines of upadharma - IOW there is no scope for moving beyond conditioned existence of birth, death, old age , disease etc in a temporary world.

4) Ok then, so you were not talking about a moral code as applied to god and the living entity but rather conditioned life (at least in my dictionary). But regardless, the same problems of veracity exists within the myriad of buddhist schools so you are stuck in the same pinch.

:shrug:

(BTW since we can't even indicate a discipline of knowledge that is taught and followed on the one level, I think its pretty absurd to expect religion to deliver it on that level, since the variety is a thousandfold more amongst the learning levels.)

Back