God as the UEB (Ultimate Evolved Being)

I see God in the Taoist sense of the Uncarved Block. The idea of God is different in every culture, because each of the prophets was a product of their time and place, and each also had to explain their vision of God in terms that could be best understood by the people around them. Therefore whoever the prophet of God--Zoroastar, Bhudda, Jesus, Mohammed, in their hands the vision of God comes to reflect the hand of the prophet and his/her society. Pantheons reflect the societies that create them, after all.

If we could see the entire history of humanity, God or the Gods would have worn thousands of different faces. If we could see the future, God will wear millions of different masks, depending upon the shape of the society and the experience of the prophet.

Xylene,

Or more credibly - in the absence of an objective method for establishing knowledge every ancient culture independently created its own fantasies to explain the mysteries that surrounded them.

The idea of God is different in every culture, because each of the prophets was a product of their time and place, and each also had to explain their vision of God in terms that could be best understood by the people around them.

That does not follow. Why would a single god reveal different messages to people? The result of that is a divided peoples, so much that they go to war with one another over their religious differences. One would easily conclude there were a multitude of gods, each with their own message.

(Q) said:
The idea of God is different in every culture, because each of the prophets was a product of their time and place, and each also had to explain their vision of God in terms that could be best understood by the people around them.

That does not follow. Why would a single god reveal different messages to people? The result of that is a divided peoples, so much that they go to war with one another over their religious differences. One would easily conclude there were a multitude of gods, each with their own message.

Q, I'm not suggesting that God gave different messages to each culture. Any study of religious doctrines will show that the messages are essentially all the same--thou shalt not kill, steal, covert thy neighbour's wife, etc, etc. I'm just saying that as each prophet grew up in a different society, and in a different locality and socio-historical context, they would interperet the same message in different terms each time. They'd put emphasis on different aspects of the message, to start with. Then they'd be dealing also with other people's interpretations of whatever they had written.

Any study of religious doctrines will show that the messages are essentially all the same

That is entirely false.

I'm just saying that as each prophet grew up in a different society, and in a different locality and socio-historical context, they would interperet the same message in different terms each time.

Sorry, that does not follow at all.

Gods message, if he existed, would be crystal clear to all people and would be beyond the misinterpretation you suggest. And he would never send a single person (prophet) to reveal that message, it would be known to everyone equally and unequivocally.

That is the ONLY way in which one could possibly believe in a single god.

(Q) said:
Any study of religious doctrines will show that the messages are essentially all the same

That is entirely false.

I'm just saying that as each prophet grew up in a different society, and in a different locality and socio-historical context, they would interperet the same message in different terms each time.

Sorry, that does not follow at all.

Gods message, if he existed, would be crystal clear to all people and would be beyond the misinterpretation you suggest. And he would never send a single person (prophet) to reveal that message, it would be known to everyone equally and unequivocally.

That is the ONLY way in which one could possibly believe in a single god.

But that's exactly the problem, Q; and that's precisely why we have wars of religion--because of all the different prophets, and all their different views of God.

that's precisely why we have wars of religion--because of all the different prophets, and all their different views of God.

And THAT is precisely why they are NOT prophets.

So, Q...the so-called prophets of God are just a bunch of raving nutters who were writing down stuff that was coming from out of their own overactive imaginations? :D

Xylene said:
So, Q...the so-called prophets of God are just a bunch of raving nutters who were writing down stuff that was coming from out of their own overactive imaginations? :D
M*W: Pretty much, Xylene. There are no gods, and there are no prophets of god.

So, Q...the so-called prophets of God are just a bunch of raving nutters who were writing down stuff that was coming from out of their own overactive imaginations?

Quite possibly, in some cases. But in others, it may have been lust for power or immortality. Others were simply fundamentalists, they really did believe in what they wrote. Whatever their reasons, it wasn't diving intervention or else their messages would pretty much be identical, don't ya think?

Certainly though, they all had overactive imaginations.

As an idea, God has evolved tremendously. He's gone from celestial bodies to imaginary creatures to Earthly creatures to nature to multiple gods to a single god to a god with a son and now a single god with a son that doesn't say anything to anybody. There's probably a few missing links to fill in. They wouldn't teach that in Kansas would they?

Xylene said:

so basically you just assume that if someone claims to write the 'word of god' you believe them to be true only because you just trust that someone wouldn't lie about such things?

Xylene...please. historians have been crafting perceptions and manipulating facts/stories for as long as written language has existed (and likely oral too). This is nothing new. Each time it occurs for varying reasons depending on the issue and the perceived necessity for change. Religion is no different than political and social misrepresentations. There are many reasons why religious literature was created, the information falsified, facts manipulated, and stories exaggerated. Evolution of religious motivations no doubt occurred, but as it developed, religious authorities likely recognized that civilization cannot function without purpose in times of wide spread persecution and injustice. My justification for the development of organized religion is that it exists to provide answers for people who would otherwise not be able to recover from tragedy or be able to contribute to society in the absence of a unifying purpose and meaning. The positive lessons tought by things like the ten commandments are a method of establishing social morality which allows for long term social stability (especially when the repercussions are "eternal damnation").

A lot of the development of the bible was a result of attempts to appeal to specific groups of people. For instance, in the scriptures, certain letters would place greater emphasis on the mystical nature of the story surrounding jesus' resurrection. this was done to appeal to areas of pegan beliefs. additionally, one of the letters (either corrinthians or another, i've forgotten now) established a more elaborate and visual structure of punishment regarding the implications of leading a sinful life. This was done in order to reinstate balance and control in the city. Still other letters develop the rules and regulations of the afterlife and focus on one's ability to reach it. The concept of an afterlife is the main reason for conversion to christianity. People living among tragedy are quick to adopt answers that allow for the continuation of the self and an eternal reunion with loved ones.

what is obvious here is that these developments all exist as selling points for Christianity in order to gain wide spread acceptance in an attempt to establish morally controlled societies. Personally, I recognize that if i grew up in a place where i had little access to information and education, had tragedy throughout all walks of life (such as family members and children dying), and had to deal with many injustices, i would probably have accepted an organized religion like Christianity in an instant. however, i am able to maintain peace of mind and moral stability in a positive environment. I've had the luxury of being able to doubt religious teachings and live with certain unanswerable questions. Most importantly though, i have decided to accept only what makes sense and can be proven with current knowledge...NO MATTER WHAT THE IMPLICATIONS. this is important because it means i will not adopt a belief simply because it makes me happy or comfortable. To me an afterlife is absurd and while it would be just great if there was one, i still cannot accept it so i will move on being more happy knowing the truth than dwelling on its negative implications.

the point here is that its hugely important to recognize and explore potential motivations for creating/developing/manipulating religious literature that might have existed historically. i have only mentioned some fundamental possibilities and minor ulterior motivations. there are many others that would be easier understood if one were to analyze the social situations present in the time and location of each literature's birth. my only other advice is to not blindly accept what you are told on any subject, disregard perceived credibly of the source, make your own inferences and judgments based on sound reason and rationality.

Back