god and the universe are at odds

the preacher

fur is loose 666
Registered Senior Member
It would seem to that the concepts of `God` and `Universe` have both evolved to become at odds with one another.

1: Reality is the universe, everything herein is nature.
2: The universe is "that which exists"
3: The supernatural is "that which is beyond nature"
4: Thus the supernatural, by definition, is that which does not exist
5: God is a supernatural entity, outside of reality

Moreover, given the modern definition of `God` as the omnipresent creator of the universe;

6: If the God exists, it must exist within the universe
7: Indeed, by definition, it is omnipresent throughout the universe
8: Existence of God is dependent upon prior existence of the universe
9: So the universe had to exist before the God
10: The modern definition of God is a self-contradictory paradox

A thing that doesn`t exist has no influence. It cannot create itself, nor the conditions necessary for its emergence.

MF

The supernatural is that which we do not know yet, but if we learn to know it; it becomes natural.
For there is no such thing as unreal, in a real world.

Yes, fantasy is reality in the mind. Just as feelings and thoughts are real, even if they are fantasies. This does not mean that fantasies always "co-operate" with the things outside the mind.

1. Reality is that which is. Whether there is reality beyond the universe is a matter of debate. Anything that has function is nature.

2. The universe exists. It is a matter of debate whether there is existence beyond the universe.

3. The supernatural is a higher nature, not an unnature, or non-nature.

4 Thus, the supernatural may or may not be part of existence, since it is simply a higher form of function, possibly existent, or otherwise.

5. God is a supernatural entity, a higher functionality, which may or may not be a part of reality.

6. If God exists, it may or may not exist within the universe.

7. If God is omnipresent, then god exists within the universe, and possibly beyond, depending on whether there is reality beyond the universe.

8. Existence of God is therefore not necessarily dependent upon prior existence of the universe, but possibly has always existed as the universe may always have existed.

9. So, there is nothing necessitating at this point a prior to either.

10. The modern definition of God isn't self-contradictory. A paradox is only a seeming contradiction, not necessarily a contradiction.

There are different levels of knowledge Perception, obeservations, calculations rationalization, and probably a few I forgot.

I point this out to you because lets using the paradign you listed of 1/5 is valid for many things but if you take the existance of many things accepted by science such as billlions of planets, stars, temperatures of various stars and such in this paradign they do not exist either but are accepted as fact or calculated based on probablity and other emperical analysis by the scientific community.

In 6-10 numbers 8 and not are the opposite of most the theistic theories and St Thomas Aquinas theory which has been widely accepted in the religious circles.
the arugment also falls under the fallacy called confusion of correlation and causation (http://www.ada.org.nz/fallacy.php) in as far as you assumed which came first instead of calculated or proved.

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/a...Outlines/04R_15.270_L01.St.Thomas.Aquinas.htm

The biggest fallacy that I can see with 1/5 is saying the supernatural is that which does not exist and than relabeling it to mean God. That is a leap of faith and a fallacy to retitle both of them to mean the same thing when one may include the others but linguistically speaking are not synonyms.

the whole arugment as I read it falls into the logic trap of appeal to igornace which assumes absense of evidence is evidence of absense.

http://www.ada.org.nz/fallacy.php

MagiAwen said:
So ah... what if man made god up in his little head?

Then man begins finding ways to prove himself that he did not make up gods in his head. :D

mustafhakofi said:
so theres either no god, or no universe.
no contest, the universe exists

...and god does not exist.

So it is time to try to understand what is referred to as Allah considering the fact that "there is no god, (la ilaha ill-Allah), and there is only Allah."

Last edited:
And Allah is what?

Allah is just another "word" tha implies a god, sufi.

And since the existence of a god is questionable so is the existence of some allah, zeus, atlas, prometheus, etc...

*The universe exists. It is a matter of debate whether there is existence beyond the universe.

There's no debate, beyond the universe nothing exists, this would be a contradiction of physics and metaphysics.

Quote:
A causeless effect is problematic because when the laws of physics are applied to an effect while extrapolating into the past a cause is arrived at. If an object is positioned at (0,0,0) at time 0 and moving at a velocity of (17,0,0), then it must have been at (-34,0,0) at time -2. Claiming that nothing existed before time 0 implies that the object was not at (-34,0,0) at time -2, which contradicts the laws of physics, which claim that it was there. A causeless effect is a problem because when looking at it with time reversed it is equivalent to an effectless cause. Of course, saying that God created the universe at time 0 does not solve the problem, because it involves a violation of the laws of physics and a universe where the object did exist at (-34,0,0) at time -2 is still theoretically possible. Assigning the label of "beginning" to time 0 in that universe does not solve the problem of its origin.

The solution to this problem has recently been discovered by science, and is so elegant that it is a wonder that no one theorized it before its discovery. The universe began in a singularity, called the Big Bang. When travelling back in time all matter tends to a single point of infinite density. Since it is a singularity, the laws of physics make no prediction as to what existed before it. If we consider the moment of the Big Bang to be time 0, then physics makes no claim as to the state of anything at time -2, and there is no contradiction in denying existence to objects at that time. In fact, since the laws of physics make no prediction for time -2, any theory which makes claims for time -2 is completely independent of the universe we live in, and therefore not really a theory of our universe. The only theories which are consistent with what we know about the universe are those which posit that time had a beginning, so it would make as little sense to ask what existed at time -2 as it would to ask what lies on the surface of the Earth two miles north of the North Pole.
http://home.cshore.com/himes/dennis/aaa.htm

Godless.

*There's no debate, beyond the universe nothing exists, this would be a contradiction of physics and metaphysics.

This all lies with your definition of "universe." Some people believe there are multiple universes. Hence, were this belief to be true, there would be existence beyond our universe (by beyond I don't mean 'past the edge of space.' Rather, I simlpy mean that there may be existence apart from this universe). It is simply a matter of debate.

I have read the link you provided, and it is interesting to note that you would present this link for it's arguments when it holds arguments which you yourself cannot possibly believe in.

I am referring particularly to this statement "When travelling back in time all matter tends to a single point of infinite density." It is clear that under your "oscillating universe" model, this cannot be the case, since the single point could not be infinitely dense if it is to come to a point of maximal extension. I would ask you to keep your arguments in accord if you are to honestly believe against an infinite being, since otherwise it would seem that you are arguing for the simple reason of not wanting to believe.

As to the arguments presented themselves, I find them to be lacking. Let's begin with the argument you presented in your post. Who is claiming a causeless effect? God would be an uncaused cause, not a causeless effect? Unless you were to apply the reasoning that the decision by God is an effect in itself and without cause, which I do not hold to be true. Furthermore, how can one argue the laws of physics? I do not. However, if an object is positioned at (0,0,0) at time 0 and moving at velocity (0,0,0), then it must have always been at (0,0,0) at time 0, and that whatever happens after time (0) is an accelleration, whether that accelleration be infinite or simply to a maximal point at which constancy is achieved, or at which decelleration occurs. It is an assumption by the arguer to say that an object positioned at (0,0,0) at time 0 is moving at all. Accelleration itself can be considered an effect, and therefore there is no assumption on the part of the theist that there is velocity at time 0. Furthermore, there is still no explanation as to why the "big bang" occurred. If there was a single point of infinite density, why did that singularity extend into multiplicity? Furthermore, what existed outside of this single point? Presumably nothing, which means that outside of the universe there is no point of reference. Even a micrometer beyond the furthest extension of matter cannot be said to have point of reference, since no points exist. Beyond the universe there is no there. This means that the universe is expanding into nothing, which is meaningless, and I question, then whether the universe is really expanding. For to expand there must be a "where" into which the expansion is occurring, but this is not the case.

Anyway, I find nothing contradictory in this person's analysis of the laws of physics and what that implies and the notion of God.

Godless said:
And Allah is what?

Allah is just another "word" tha implies a god,

You may receive the answer only when you are open to an answer.

There's no debate, beyond the universe nothing exists, this would be a contradiction of physics and metaphysics.

I agree... if you understand that what you know as the universe is only a small section that can be perceived trough your five senses of the whole oneness of all that exists.

Last edited:
*Some people believe there are multiple universes.

The key word there is "believe" so in essense some people "beliefs" of multiple universes are not warranted by evidence, I can "believe" in purple unicorns on the other side of Mars, you may or may not believe in those purple unicors, you will ask for evidence, I assert that I just "believe" that there is!. Without evidence, I have "faith" that purple unicors exist on the other side of Mars, and since no one can refute my assumptions I believe that purple unicorns are in fact on the other side of Mars.

This is just how silly it is to assert "belief" in multiple universes, they lack the metaphysical evidence, it's just a belief as silly as a belief in purple unicorns.

*(When travelling back in time all matter tends to a single point of infinite density)

This is observed by the Hubble space telescope, oscillating universe theory has no quible with this, because the theory of the "big crunch" would not contradict the "big bang" thus in theory when entropy is exhausted, the big crunch begins, gravity will pull the universe to an infinite density again, and explode again. The reason that we know we are in an expancion cycle is evident by our scientists observations:

# If the Big Bang did occur, all of the objects within the Universe should be moving away from each other. In 1929, Edwin Hubble documented that the galaxies in our Universe are indeed moving away from each other.
# The Big Bang should have left an "afterglow" from the explosion. In the 1960s, scientists discovered the existence of cosmic background radiation, the so-called "afterglow" after the Big Bang explosion. Our most accurate measurements of this cosmic radiation came in November 1989, by the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE) satellite. The measurements from this satellite tested an important prediction of the Big Bang theory. This prediction suggests that the initial explosion that gave birth to the Universe should have created radiation with a spectrum that follows a blackbody curve. The COBE measurements indicated that the spectrum of the cosmic radiation varied from a blackbody curve by only 1 %. This level of error is considered insignificant.
# If the Universe began with a Big Bang, extreme temperatures should have caused 25 percent of the mass of the Universe to become helium. This is exactly what is observed.
# Matter in the Universe should be distributed homogeneously. Astronomical observations from the Hubble Space Telescope do indicate that matter in the Universe generally has a homogeneous distribution.

The oscillating universe deals with the "end" of the universe not it's begginings.

The two theories are 1, that our universe will continue expanding infinetly.
2, that the universe will run out of entropy and gravity will "crunch" the universe.

http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/5a.html

What the individual was trying to explain, is that nothing existed prior to the big bang, that "something" another existent with a consciousness to create the universe did not exist prior to big bang.

Quote:

According to the standard theory, our universe sprang into existence as "singularity" around 13.7 billion years ago. What is a "singularity" and where does it come from? Well, to be honest, we don't know for sure. Singularities are zones which defy our current understanding of physics. They are thought to exist at the core of "black holes." Black holes are areas of intense gravitational pressure. The pressure is thought to be so intense that finite matter is actually squished into infinite density (a mathematical concept which truly boggles the mind). These zones of infinite density are called "singularities." Our universe is thought to have begun as an infinitesimally small, infinitely hot, infinitely dense, something - a singularity. Where did it come from? We don't know. Why did it appear? We don't know.

Thus it is evident that we still need to understand, learn the origins of our universe, lets not just put an end to research by simply claiming "god did it!!".

http://www.big-bang-theory.com/

Godless.

beyondtimeandspace said:
8. Existence of God is therefore not necessarily dependent upon prior existence of the universe, but possibly has always existed as the universe may always have existed.

This statement is flawed by definition.

To have existed eternally requires that there has been an accumulation of an infinite number of time intervals. Time intervals are physically countable and by definition "Infinity" is greater than any finite number. So eternal existance violates the definition of infinity or in other words the definition of infinity precludes claiming eternal existance.

Conclusion: There is no method of claiming something has existed forever without having had an enception or point of coming into existance.

what768 said:
Yes, fantasy is reality in the mind. Just as feelings and thoughts are real, even if they are fantasies. This does not mean that fantasies always "co-operate" with the things outside the mind.

Ok, if you think so, then I would say god exists, and he is real in a way...

Godless said:
The key word there is "believe" so in essense some people "beliefs" of multiple universes are not warranted by evidence, I can "believe" in purple unicorns on the other side of Mars, you may or may not believe in those purple unicors, you will ask for evidence, I assert that I just "believe" that there is!. Without evidence, I have "faith" that purple unicors exist on the other side of Mars, and since no one can refute my assumptions I believe that purple unicorns are in fact on the other side of Mars.

Godless.

Very good dedfinition of what we usually understand of belief. I will copy and paste it to the other thread we discuss about knowing and believing...

MacM said:
This statement is flawed by definition.

To have existed eternally requires that there has been an accumulation of an infinite number of time intervals. Time intervals are physically countable and by definition "Infinity" is greater than any finite number. So eternal existance violates the definition of infinity or in other words the definition of infinity precludes claiming eternal existance.

Conclusion: There is no method of claiming something has existed forever without having had an enception or point of coming into existance.

I would agree with you on this count as far as the universe is concerned. You are, however, wrong about how you have defined eternality. "Eternal" has three proper definition. 1. To have no beginning and end. 2. To be endless (having a beginning, but no end). 3. To be everlasting (without interruption or cessation). For the sake of simplicity I will only concern myself with the first two, since the third is very much like the second. Each of these definitions do include, by necessity, the infinite. In fact, a synonym of 'eternal' is 'infinite.' In the second case, that is, endlessness, we would be speaking about a potential infinite, that which has a starting point, but continues (movement or growth) forever. The first case, without beginning or end (timelessness), is an actual infinite, as opposed to a potential.

Time is a dimension of this universe, a sequential movement from one moment to the next. As you say, time is finite, and as part of the universe, this must be so. Likewise, anything the exists in relegation to the law of time, experiences moments in sequence, and is also finite. Furthermore, anything, as you say, that is relegated to this law, existing in a realm also relegated to this law, is surrounded by that which is relegated to this law, and may be unable to produce evidence of that which is not relegated to this law, and furthermore not relegated to this realm. If there is an eternal existing in this universe, it may only be of the second form, endlessness, and is therefore only potentially infinite.

However, as our own existence teaches us, things may be experienced, understood, or function in either a sequential manner, or a holistic manner. As such, logic dictates that, while our universe experiences TIME (a sequential movement from one moment to another) there may be an existence which does not experience time, but rather something else which is holistic (that is, it experiences every moment simultaneously, rather than as a sequential movement). Such an existence would be eternality in the first sense (without beginning or end), and would be defined as an actual infinite, as opposed to a potential infinite.

*The key word there is "believe" so in essense some people "beliefs" of multiple universes are not warranted by evidence, I can "believe" in purple unicorns on the other side of Mars, you may or may not believe in those purple unicors, you will ask for evidence, I assert that I just "believe" that there is!. Without evidence, I have "faith" that purple unicors exist on the other side of Mars, and since no one can refute my assumptions I believe that purple unicorns are in fact on the other side of Mars. This is just how silly it is to assert "belief" in multiple universes, they lack the metaphysical evidence, it's just a belief as silly as a belief in purple unicorns.

Godless, you keep speaking about "metaphysical" laws and evidence. The problem is that, while is it a branch of philosophy that deals with first principles and the origins of what is real, it is usually a very abstract form of reasoning, and is not necessarily dependent upon the "physical," which seems to be where you base much of your "metaphysical" reasoning. To claim the possibility of multiple universes may, in fact, rely upon one's own beliefs about the origins of reality. There are several theories pertaining to the multiple universe, each with their own merit, and while they may not have "physical" evidence for it, metaphysics may actually allow for it. For example, one theory that I have read says that our universe may be the result of two other universes having "colided," which is what caused the Big Bang. This is actually a metaphysical theory, since it is both abstract, and concerns the origins of our universe, and reality. You seem to think that metaphysics is something that is set in stone. Actually, metaphysics relies very much on logic, and as such, is very much subject to fallicy, since logic relies on the truth-values of the premises proposed. Since metaphysics isn't determined by physics, the "first principles" that it seeks to determine, and then use to construct a basis for reality, are most certainly indeterminate, as such. While there are definitely stronger metaphysical theories than others (i.e., Ayn Rand's three axioms), none are known to be absolutely true (the Buddhist would reject the axiom of identity, for example, saying that identity is illusion).

*This is observed by the Hubble space telescope, oscillating universe theory has no quible with this, because the theory of the "big crunch" would not contradict the "big bang" thus in theory when entropy is exhausted, the big crunch begins, gravity will pull the universe to an infinite density again, and explode again.

At the moment, I have no real quibble with the Big Bang theory, except that it isn't really absolute yet, but only a very strong theory. However, what I meant to point out was that in saying the singularity from which the universe originated was infinitely dense suggests to me that entry, therefore, would also be infinite, and, actually, that singularity would still exist, out of which the universe would continue to expand infinitely. To say that our universe is finite, materially, is to say that the its original singularity was not infinitely dense, since otherwise the expansion of that density would also be infinite.

*What the individual was trying to explain, is that nothing existed prior to the big bang, that "something" another existent with a consciousness to create the universe did not exist prior to big bang.

The assumption of the individual is that prior to the big bang there was a motion which caused the big bang. He assumes prior velocity, which, as I see it, is ungrounded. Prior to the universe, there would have been no motion (I think you could agree with this), and if the "existence" prior to that motion was actually infinite, then this would still be true, since there is no motion within an actual infinite.

*The problem is that, while is it a branch of philosophy that deals with first principles and the origins of what is real, it is usually a very abstract form of reasoning, and is not necessarily dependent upon the "physical," which seems to be where you base much of your "metaphysical" reasoning.

True I won't deny that. I use the word "metaphysics" for that which pertains to reality, to the nature of things, to existence. So "speculation", i.e. other universes, does not come close to an "observed" phenomenon only a mental speculation without proof!.

Kind of like speculating that there's a god, or purple unicorns.

*Actually, metaphysics relies very much on logic, and as such, is very much subject to fallicy, since logic relies on the truth-values of the premises proposed.

I fail to see the "logic" of this, since it is truth that one seeks with the "unaswearable" questions of cause of the universe, it's origins, or it's heading. What I've come to observe, is the plain fact that; Existence exists, and that the discussions of it's origins are just plain non-sequiturs used by mytics to get people to believe the assertions of theirs of "higher consciousness" truths, and the like.

In an oscillating universe model, there would always be movement, thus all molecules would be compiled in such a small microbe ooze, and explode with the power to re-create a universe. Thus if the oscillating universe theory is actuallity, there may have been thousands of universes, formed, and crunched eternally to the past, and will continue eternally in the future. But that's just "speculation".
;)

Godless.

Back