God and the Stone

Actually very few (if any) theists and a minority of atheists have any idea of the basic concepts of logic and do not have a logical basis for their view.

I can assure you that some theists do have an idea of the basic concepts of logic.

The Paradox of the Stone is not a matter of improper definitions and assumptions but rather of sloppy proof technique. If approached rigorously, the “paradox” disappears and no contradiction presents.

DRR: I will accept your assurance, although it is my belief that the theists you refer to do not try to use logic to prove the existence of god.
I can assure you that some theists do have an idea of the basic concepts of logic.
I can assure you that it has been my experience that damn few Theists have either knowledge or respect for logic. This view is supported by the large number who try to use logic to prove the existence of god. Similarly, atheists who try to use logic to disprove his existence show their ignorance of logic.

To ask the question "Can God create a rock that is too heavy for Himself to lift?" leads to a logical inconsistency. The question itself doesn't make sense.
Is this correct: God is ominipotent and omniscient?

Q:
Can you do something God is not capable of doing?

I can assure you that it has been my experience that damn few Theists have either knowledge or respect for logic.

I guess it depends on whom you know. My experience differs, but then I know a great number of logicians. It may be the case that science tends to attract skeptics while logic tends to attract mystics. Mathematical logic is not known as the “theology of mathematics” for nothing.

I hope we can agree that each of our postions is held by a large number of people who are far smarter and who understand logic far better than both of us.

Here's another question:

Can God kill himself?

Or can any spirit/soul in the "heaven" realm kill themselves for that matter?

The following seems silly to me.
It may be the case that science tends to attract skeptics while logic tends to attract mystics.
What do mystics use logic for when they typically rely on anecdotal evidence tio support their views?

Michael, realize the time this thread was started, Beyond is a friend of mine, he doesn't frequent Sciforums that often.

What do mystics use logic for when they typically rely on anecdotal evidence tio support their views?

The mystics you know may have no use for logic but I am speaking of the people who gravitate toward mathematical logic. The field seems to attract these types for whatever reason. Gödel, himself, could be described as a mystic.

Ive always wondered how the Christians on these forums answer to the old question " can God create a stone thats to heavy for him to lift?"

Here's one answer: If God creates the stone then god would create it in the right place!

Original question: Can God create a stone he can't lift?

Alternate Question: Can a human lift something from the spiritual realm, assuming one exists?

Back