God and the Argument from Design

This sounds now like an argument that, to someone without science knowledge, these things in nature may appear designed. People like Paley. No doubt that may be so.
In my scenario the design faction would have been correct just by simply observing the complexity, mechanism, markings, and overall beauty of the object.

The skeptics faction could, over time, and scientists advancement tell us the properties, of the material, maybe a ball park figure of the age, and other scientific info. But could not tell if it was designed, or came about through natural processes.

After everything that final decision would have to decided the same way the design faction originally came to their decision.
This why ultimately whether the world is designed or not is dependant upon one’s worldview

In my scenario the design faction would have been correct just by simply observing the complexity, mechanism, markings, and overall beauty of the object.
What natural object that has not been scientifically explained as the result of evolution, would suggest an unknown "watchmaker" as the only option, in your opinion?

What natural object that has not been scientifically explained as the result of evolution, would suggest an unknown "watchmaker" as the only option, in your opinion?
It’s not the only option. There is also your option, and other options.
Ultimately nobody is absolutely correct.

The skeptics faction could, over time, and scientists advancement tell us the properties, of the material, maybe a ball park figure of the age, and other scientific info. But could not tell if it was designed, or came about through natural processes.

After everything that final decision would have to decided the same way the design faction originally came to their decision.
This why ultimately whether the world is designed or not is dependant upon one’s worldview
I think this needs nuance. A scientifically informed person is well aware that such things as crystal structures, stars or glaciated valleys can arise quite naturally, through nothing more than the operation of the principles of physics. Since "designed" must mean the opposite of "natural", it makes no sense, to such a person, to describe such things as designed.

To say we can't tell whether they came about through nature or design is essentially false. It's true we can never prove, logically, that our theories are correct, but then you can prove almost nothing in real life. We all run our daily lives on the basis of reasonable probability, e.g. that the sun will probably rise tomorrow, though we can't prove it will. On the basis of the huge amount of evidence we have about what is responsible for crystal structures, or glaciated valleys, or stars, we can indeed tell, with a good deal of confidence, that they came to be entirely through natural processes. (What we can't account for, as I said earlier in this thread, is why the principles of physics are as they are and not otherwise - or indeed absent. If there is room for a creator God, that is where He is to be found, it seems to me.)

You are of course right that the worldview of an ignorant person may well be different from that of an informed person. But do not try to suggest a false equivalence between the two.

Last edited:
Science does exactly that. What particular thing do you think has supporting evidence of some sort of creation event? Ex nihilo?

Science does exactly that. What particular thing do you think has supporting evidence of some sort of creation event? Ex nihilo?
That’s not how it works.
There’s no competition.
The fact that the watch is the result of intelligent design, doesn’t mean you can’t do the science.
Top down and bottom up thinking.

That’s not how it works.
There’s no competition.
The fact that the watch is the result of intelligent design, doesn’t mean you can’t do the science.
Top down and bottom up thinking.
It is how it works. We have experience of designing stuff so we know what that entails.
Previously we did not know about the universe and everything in it.
Now we do.

So. I ask again. What specifically what do you think was designed in a creation event?

So. I ask again. What specifically what do you think was designed in a creation event?
That’s not how theism works Pinball.
God is the origin, the reason why there is something rather than nothing from our perspective.
Just like in my scenario, the creator of watch is the origin of its creation. It doesn’t mean you can’t do science to find out about the watch even if you discard the intelligence behind it

That’s not how theism works Pinball.
God is the origin, the reason why there is something rather than nothing from our perspective.
Just like in my scenario, the creator of watch is the origin of its creation. It doesn’t mean you can’t do science to find out about the watch even if you discard the intelligence behind it
You can certainly believe God is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, if you like. I notice you are now talking in terms of God being the origin of nature. That seems to me a defensible position.

What is a lot less defensible is to jump from that to claiming that specific natural phenomena or entities are "designed", i.e. as opposed to being products of nature (because that is what "designed" means.

In terms of your watch analogy, you seem to be claiming it is the supplier of the sheet metal, used to make the mechanical components of the watch, who "designed" it.

You can certainly believe God is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, if you like.
Thank you
I notice you are now talking in terms of God being the origin of nature. That seems to me a defensible position.
For two reasons. The title of the thread, and to correct Pinball’s understanding of “Theism”. That God is the origin is not the reason why people believe in God. While at the same time it is inevitable (from theist perspective) that God is the origin.
We know that nature works, and thanks to science and great minds we have an idea how it works.
What is a lot less defensible is to jump from that to claiming that specific natural phenomena or entities are "designed", i.e. as opposed to being products of nature (because that is what "designed" means.
I believe all living forms are designed and suited to their environments. The materials are certainly a product of nature, but their consciousness however high or low is a part of God’s nature.
That is my belief.
In terms of your watch analogy, you seem to be claiming it is the supplier of the sheet metal, used to make the mechanical components of the watch, who "designed" it.
Not really.
The end result has undergone a lot of processes by other intelligent agents to get to the point of a small ladies watch. But the person who designed it, is the reason for the existence of the actual watch.
We don’t tend to admire the paint, paper, paint brush, manufacturers when admiring a brilliant painting.

Suppose an undiscovered primitive society with no knowledge of western civilisation, or peoples outside their own society, no knowledge of any western technology cut open a fish and find a small ladies watch inside, an object they have never even imagined let alone seen before. Absolutely 100% no idea.

Knowing what we know, would it be unreasonable if one faction of that society assumed it was intelligently created based on the intricate design, symmetry, and material?
Trek posits an undiscovered human primitive society here.

All human societies, as we know, use different kinds of "technologies". Humans are makers and designers. We are all tool users and makers. "Primitive" societies (if there are such things) are no different.

Would it be unreasonable on finding a watch for a human being in a "primitive society" to posit that, maybe, this is an example of a previously-undiscovered artifact made by (other) human beings?

No, that would not be unreasonable. It would be entirely consistent with the existing knowledge of the "primitives".

On the other hand, it would be unwise for the hypothetical "primitive" to jump to the premature conclusion that the watch must be human product. For all the "primitive" knows, the watch could have been made by aliens. Granted, that's a less likely scenario, since the "primitive" knows that human beings exist, they they can design and build things etc. It would be more reasonable to posit the existence of some other tribe of undiscovered humans out there making watches than it would be to posit the existence of a completely alien and unknown watchmaking species. But that, of course, doesn't rule out the possibility.

But let's ask anothe question. Would it be reasonable for our hypothetical "primitive" person to assume that the watch was created by a God?

The answer ought to be obvious: no, it would not. That's an even worse hypothesis than the alien one. Multiplying entities needlessly even more. Which, again, isn't to say that it can be completely ruled out.

Remember, though, the question here is what would be reasonable to assume. The best answer to that is: one shouldn't be in the business of assuming anything that isn't actually evidenced. That has proven time and again to lead to error piled on error.
And would it be reasonable, given what we know, to assume it could, given enough time, be a product of nature?
In point of fact, of course, all watches are "products of nature", just via a slightly circuitous route involving the prior natural evolution of human watchmakers.

Would it be reasonable to assume that a watch self-assembled, without conscious design? No, it wouldn't be. Why not? Because we humans are not aware of any conceivable process by which that could happen. Which, again, doesn't rule out the possibility. (Again, recall that we're talking about what is and isn't reasonable to assume, not about what is or isn't possible, which is a different kind of question.)

Yes I suppose you could say it is a rehash of Paleys great argument from design.
I don't see anything "great" about an argument that is demonstrably flawed. As an argument against evolution by natural selection, which is what Paley tried to use it for, it was an abject failure.

None of the things Trek lists here is a sufficient indicator of design. And the last - beauty - is a very subjective criterion.

This is an error. Recall that the "design faction" originally came to their decision by making assumptions, whereas the "skeptical" faction drew on what was already known to put forward tentative, testable hypotheses. While the design faction leapt immediately to an unjustified conclusion, the skeptics took a rational wait-and-see approach.

Since the "design faction" is demonstrably being irrational and clearly failing to think clearly about the matter, in contrast to the "skeptical faction", any reasonable person will agree that the skeptics have the high ground on such matters.
I believe all living forms are designed and suited to their environments.
It "just makes sense" to Trek. *sigh* This is a refrain we've heard over and over since he appeared on this forum. It's not a justification - just a statement of belief.

Last edited:
Seeing that this thread is specifically about design, what about the things that are not beautiful? Things that are harmful?

The watch is a result of doing science. There were no watches before humans.

There was always time to which a lot of natural processes and organisms learned to respond to.
On earth many organism use time intervals as an evolved survival mechanisms. We named it "circadian rhythm".

Most living things have circadian rhythms, including animals, plants, and microorganisms. In humans, nearly every tissue and organ has its own circadian rhythm, and collectively they are tuned to the daily cycle of day and night. Dec 11, 2023

This clearly a result of evolutionary processes, learned via natural selection of cellular adaption to and memory of timed intervals.
Evolution via natural selection was and is the natural "watchmaker".

Today, watches are timed via the oscillations of "atomic clocks" such as Cesium that existed long before man came onto the scene.

Cesium was discovered by Robert Wilhelm Bunsen and Gustav Robert Kirchhoff, German chemists, in 1860 through the spectroscopic analysis of Durkheim mineral water. They named cesium after the blue lines they observed in its spectrum. Today, cesium is primarily obtained from the mineral pollucite (CsAlSi2O6).
And there it is. The naturally evolved self-organization of a compound zeolite crystal mineral from which cesium can be extracted as the most accurate atomic time-keeping "watch" that has been "discovered" to date.

Attachments

• 1719567016369.png
    1719567016369.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you

For two reasons. The title of the thread, and to correct Pinball’s understanding of “Theism”. That God is the origin is not the reason why people believe in God. While at the same time it is inevitable (from theist perspective) that God is the origin.
We know that nature works, and thanks to science and great minds we have an idea how it works.

I believe all living forms are designed and suited to their environments. The materials are certainly a product of nature, but their consciousness however high or low is a part of God’s nature.
That is my belief.

Not really.
The end result has undergone a lot of processes by other intelligent agents to get to the point of a small ladies watch. But the person who designed it, is the reason for the existence of the actual watch.
We don’t tend to admire the paint, paper, paint brush, manufacturers when admiring a brilliant painting.
I quite agree that people generally don't believe in God because they want a First Cause. Religions generally offer a guide to help individuals live their lives, not an alternative explanation of the physical world. The role of God as creator, while not entirely incidental, is very far from being the essential point and happily coexists with acceptance of science in thought-through western religion.

Regarding your point about "God's nature", OK you see "God's nature" in living things, specifically, due to attributing consciousness to them (not sure how that works with plants and fungi, but leave that aside for the moment). What bearing does that have on the question of design, though? None of the three examples I was considering - crystal structures, glaciated valleys and stars - is living?

"God's nature" seems to me quite a different concept from "design".

Last edited:
A watch might be seen as made thing by pre-tech humans because of it's simplicity, because the workings DO make a kind of sense, unlike biological organisms with workings that are far more mysterious. Look closely enough and watch parts start looking imperfect, rough and crude and even show recognisable signs of being made - filing, grinding, casting marks and other imperfections; the deeper you look (add in a microscope) the simpler and cruder such things look, unlike natural things where ever more intricate details and complexities are revealed.

Made things don't have to be only either human made or made by magical miracle - when monsters lurk beyond the known world there is room for some to be better at making things than humans, without invoking magical miracles.

Seeing that this thread is specifically about design, what about the things that are not beautiful? Things that are harmful?
All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.

All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.

Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid--
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!

All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.

Amen.

(Lyrics by the Monty Python team, sung to the tune of a well-known song.)

I was going to begin a new thread but this will suffice.
Lets keep it simile and start with speciation which is what Evolution describes.
Hopefully Trek will contribute

A related thread in the Creationist trojan horse called "Intelligent Design" theory can be found here:

Back