Gmail Is Coming!!!

SpyMoose, thanks for putting it with such clarity, I'm half converted, though I'm also forced to use the phone for as much if not more personal reasons as I do email, so I'm pretty easy to stalk anyway.

Ok your worried your post historys will be watched then DELETE them

nothing stops u deleting posts

i dont think the CIA cares that i have a new post from sciforums tho:p

One other note: If you live in the U.S., it's already quite easy for the FBI to get access to your email. All they have to do is go to your ISP and ask for it, and they have to hand it over.

Thanks, Patriot Act :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree with Nasor, plus from what I have observed the FBI seems pretty lenient unless someone gets caught at home, or is seemingly really dangerous.There are many scare tactics, but little reinforcement... but it still doesn't make this invasion of privacy right.Then again there's a lot I don't know, I guess I'll do some research on the subject.

How on earth is this different from the telephone?! 1-800-call-GWB

Finally, email is evolving. Thankyou, google!

Asguard said:
Ok your worried your post historys will be watched then DELETE them

nothing stops u deleting posts

i dont think the CIA cares that i have a new post from sciforums tho:p
Yeah but even if you delete posts or even emails, then you might not see them, but they're held on the server or records or somewhere for literally years.

I don't know abt MSN, I just meant that a criticism of Gmail is that they'll have (the potential, at least, to hold) way more info than most other email providers, in that there's more space for emails. If you get what I'm trying to say. :bugeye:

Yeah, kook alert at it's highest.

Email is already completely available to the government of whatever country you are in. Hell, in many cases it's available to your next door neighbor.

EMAIL IS NOT MEANT TO BE SECURE. It was never designed to be. The only real method to secure it is PGP encryption (or something similar).

That said, who cares if Google sees your email. They are not doing anything that EVERY other mail server does. The only difference is that they display ads based on the content.

Firefly said:
Yeah but even if you delete posts or even emails, then you might not see them, but they're held on the server or records or somewhere for literally years.
The same is true for anything dealing with computers. If you delete your kook manefesto right now off your computer, it'll see be there until you fill up your hard drive with something else.

This isn't a problem with Google. This is how data storage works. Google is simply honest enough to point it out to you, while others (yahoo, msn, hotmail) don't.... even though they do the same thing.

Firefly said:
I don't know abt MSN, I just meant that a criticism of Gmail is that they'll have (the potential, at least, to hold) way more info than most other email providers, in that there's more space for emails. If you get what I'm trying to say. :bugeye:
They have no reason to. When you delete it, it stays until something gets copied over top of it. Google is going to make use of that space... otherwise they'd have to buy ALOT more hardrives to save peoples junk/deleted email on.

Due to the size and expandability of the system, it's actually likely that your email will be overwritten quicker than yahoo/msn/etc because Google will only be bringing harddrives online as needed (due to the way their network technology works and life cycle costs).

Ok, so after 3 posts of explaining to you why it's not really bad... what would you want google to do? What could possibly make it so you'd 'trust' the system? The few things you want (no reading of email, instant deletion) are simply technically impossible... and aren't going to be done. Otherwise their system wouldn't work well at all, and then you'd complan that it was too slow.

hehe... These aren't personal complaints, I'm just saying problems or criticisms others might have. I've pretty much given up on privacy on the web anyway.

Back