Genes and Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, sorry, I thought the original posting for this thread specifically asked whether racial identity is an expression of genes or an outcome of environment. You keep saying that race is a social construct, as if it were a statement of fact, without offering any proof whatsoever. I thought this was a discussion debating that very point, but apparently I am supposed to accept your point of view simply because you say it is so. So assuming race has no biological basis, and we can all agree that race is a social construct, we can go to the next logical step by treating everyone as a human being with no special status based on race, and eliminate affirmative action. No more questions on job applications what color is your skin. That works for me.

Okay, sorry, I thought the original posting for this thread specifically asked whether racial identity is an expression of genes or an outcome of environment.

and it has been answered, race is a concept that does not stand to the detail analysis of modern biology, it is a social construct.

You keep saying that race is a social construct, as if it were a statement of fact, without offering any proof whatsoever.

Aside for articles of modern genetics showing the 3 races we identify are in fact biologically grossly simplistic and even erroneous?

So assuming race has no biological basis, and we can all agree that race is a social construct, we can go to the next logical step by treating everyone as a human being with no special status based on race, and eliminate affirmative action.

In a ideal world if there was no racism yes we could dispose of affirmative action, but as long as their are racists employers there has got to be laws to try to negate them. Law is a social construct too, does not mean we can ignore it!

No more questions on job applications what color is your skin. That works for me.

Agreed, I would think ideally a 3rd party would find applicants and give them to employers and thus employers can't be sue or fined for racial discrimination in hiring.

You keep saying that race is a social construct, as if it were a statement of fact, without offering any proof whatsoever.

No, that’s not what we have been saying! :mad:

We have been saying that there are two concepts when it comes to race. One is genetic – different “races” can be distinguished through genetic analysis that has nothing to do with appearance. The other is based on social constructs based largely on appearance. These two concepts of race do not correlate well, ie. using genetic markers of “genetic race” usually does not always correlate well with physical appearance-based social constructs of race.

Scientific references for this have been supplied – see post #25.

Seeing as you are obviously incapable, or unwilling, to understand this, I see no point in letting this thread continue for the purpose of letting you continually post the same misunderstandings.

So assuming race has no biological basis, and we can all agree that race is a social construct,….

Again, we are not saying the race has no biological basis. As far as I can see, the original question in the OP has been dealt with, so thread closed.

If anyone really wants to continue discussions in this thread, send me a PM and I’ll consider reopening it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back