Gender Prejudice - against men!

I've been an HR manager for years and I can tall you it's dominated by women and gay men, almost exclusively. I don't understand why. Trust me when I say, those of us who work in HR aren't "sensitive". The horrible things we think and say when others aren't around is not for the weak of mind. Though, I do think we might be better at faking it.

~String

You are a character from Dilbert, I'm certain now.

732.strip.gif

I wonder if male gender bias in professions could be relevant to how much women expose themselves.

Last edited:
Yesterday I had an interesting experience. After a fantabulous session with my hair dresser, I was gushing compliments about his performance. He's funky and smart and did a major makeover on my year old perm. Imagine my surprise when I encountered resistance to the notion of using a male hairdresser! I hadn't even considered that women might object to a hairdresser purely on gender basis, so I was quite astonished

This could be culturally specific, though.

Negative.

The fact is, HR is open to men. Men equally qualify for the positions I do. I know: I interview them. It's just that they apply far less frequently than gay men and women do. Honestly, I think that men just don't think of it as a "manly" career and chose other options. Retail is already female dominated, but HR is even more so in this industry because my hunch is that men identify with and gravitate towards the few "masculine" niches within this industry that do exist.

~String
Negative what?

You lot remind me of a bunch of chickens, scratching around looking for pellets, but only ever managing to rearrange the yard.

Negative, as in: You are wrong. And, lacking any real substantive thoughts, you sink back to what you originally started with: quasi-witty remarks that really have no bearing at all on what's being discussed.

~String

I'm not altogether sure you do. So, of course I don't.
Which is a little at odds with you telling me I'm wrong. One would imagine you'd need to understand what I was talking about before declaring that?
Which one was the posturing then, this post, or the last one? Both?

So, of course you don't.
You have, therefore, only a limited choice of defences. The most useful for you was to tell yourself I don't know what I'm talking about, which exonerates you from any need to actually think about it, and remain firmly in your comfort zone.

Figure it out and then fill us in.
We're all here for different reasons, String. Don't go around thinking everyone who knows more than you do is automatically conferred with the desire to "fill you in". You've got a boyfriend for that, haven't you?

Which is a little at odds with you telling me I'm wrong.

Not at all. One can be wrong and have no clue what their talking about. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I refer you to your comments in this thread up til now, especially those about men in HR.

One would imagine you'd need to understand what I was talking about before declaring that?

That's the first truthful thing you've said. But, wouldn't it be prudent for you to have a demonstrable understanding about the topic at hand before hypothesizing as to why others don't understand you?

Which one was the posturing then, this post, or the last one? Both?

You. Beginning with the witless and off topic post about chickens scratching.

You have, therefore, only a limited choice of defences.

Says the guy who ran out of contributions and resorted to quasi-insulting metaphors about chickens and such.

The most useful for you was to tell yourself I don't know what I'm talking about, which exonerates you from any need to actually think about it, and remain firmly in your comfort zone.

I've clearly said I don't understand all of what you said. I also clearly stated that I don't think you do either.

Don't go around thinking everyone who knows more than you do is automatically conferred with the desire to "fill you in".

No. But it's assumed that you have the ability to understand the discussion, especially when referring the the specifics of a previous poster. It's also assumed that you'll be able to contribute effectively to the discussion, a part of which includes--but is not limited to--the desire to "fill in" the person who your addressing. Don't have the desire to fill me in? Good! Ignore my post and don't reply to it. Offer your erudite opinions to others.

You've got a boyfriend for that, haven't you?

Indeed. That's what a lot of boyfriends do--especially the effective ones.

~String

Ship HR to India I say. He's right you guys (and gals) are fuckin useless...might as well be cheap too.

All my doctors are women. Mainly because I think they listen to me better

and I would never hire a male babysitter. The only men that can watch my daughter are close male relatives.

Those are the only 2 jobs I can think of that I'm sexist about

The situation that causes me most grief as a male is cuddling kids.

I like kids, and I am most definitely not a pedophile. Just the normal paternal feeling. Yet I do not dare pick up a kid, even if that kid is hurt and needs comforting. Isn't that sad?

The situation that causes me most grief as a male is cuddling kids.

I like kids, and I am most definitely not a pedophile. Just the normal paternal feeling. Yet I do not dare pick up a kid, even if that kid is hurt and needs comforting. Isn't that sad?

I do it with my own kid. Without shame.

Sometimes, I gotta be mommy, too.

There's a very precocious and outgoing little girl in my townhouse square. She rides her little bike around and chats with all the neighbors. She keeps asking to come into my yard to play with my dogs, since her family doesn't have one.

I read the news; I absolutely will not let her in. I think that's really sad.

Shit, when I was a kid in the 1950s, we all went everywhere and nobody paid any mind. If somebody had "molested" a child, he would have turned up a couple of weeks later at the bottom of an arroyo, noshed on by the cougars and coyotes.

There's a very precocious and outgoing little girl in my townhouse square. She rides her little bike around and chats with all the neighbors. She keeps asking to come into my yard to play with my dogs, since her family doesn't have one.

Shit, when I was a kid in the 1950s, we all went everywhere and nobody paid any mind. If somebody had "molested" a child, he would have turned up a couple of weeks later at the bottom of an arroyo, noshed on by the cougars and coyotes.

This extended into the 70's. As long as we were home before the street lights came on...everything was fine. There was a lonely, little old lady who used to make us cookies, and invite us into the house. No one thought twice about it. One time, I saw smoke on the horizon and jumped on my bike to go investigate...just following the smoke. After watching the firemen put out the housefire, I realized I was lost, and didn't know how to get home. I just knocked on the first door I saw with toys in the front yard. This total stranger was happy to pack me and my bike in their fake wood paneled station wagon, and drive me home. Those were good times.

it is sad. :(

i don't think we should allow fear to control us like that. i think you should allow her to play with your dogs sometime. fuck the news.

Which got me wondering, what other kinds of gender prejudices do males have to overcome?

Women-only gyms or gyms with special hours/areas just for women.

My wife gets her hair done at a local salon and was told that the massage therapist, who is male, has more trouble than most when it comes to getting clients. Apparently, a lot of women don't want massages from men. Neither do many men, most likely because of homophobia.

Back