Gay debate (redux)

Consensus?

Usually it's like this:
Something is ok if it's ok according to the current consensus.

con⋅sen⋅sus
–noun, plural -sus⋅es.
1. majority of opinion: The consensus of the group was that they should meet twice a month.
2. general agreement or concord; harmony.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/consensus

Any opinions that deviate from the consensus are usually, at the very least, frowned upon.
Of course, consensuses can change.

I know what the word means, I was merely wondering what your point is. Of course, there is a general consensus of outlooks on matters, however that doesn't mean that the single majority outlook is right; for instance, if 99% of the people on Earth thought blue was the most beautiful color, it doesn't mean it is....it is still an opinion.

I know what the word means, I was merely wondering what your point is. Of course, there is a general consensus of outlooks on matters, however that doesn't mean that the single majority outlook is right; for instance, if 99% of the people on Earth thought blue was the most beautiful color, it doesn't mean it is....it is still an opinion.

For all practical purposes blue is then the most beautiful color :D :p

Consensus is part, but not all of the puzzle and its a particular type of consensus.

Something is sufficiently understood for normal purposes if it can be observed and measured with repeatable and verifiable hypothesis concerning its behavior and there is a consensus among those knowledgeable in the field concerning it.

For example the behavior of boring normal objects moving at nominal speeds under STP and 1g.

Of course its where one or more of those conditions break down that things become interesting.

Cellar door

There is, somewhere in the annals of the English language, and I believe it occurred during the Victorian era, a popular survey of some sort that established the phrase "cellar door" as the most beautiful combination of words.

There is certainly something Freudian about it.

If the statistic was 99% agreement, there would likely be an evolutionary explanation for the phenomenon. But few things will ever achieve 99% agreement. In fact, I'm pretty sure that less than 99% of people believe the theory of gravity is legitimate. I mean, right now, the Black Eyed Peas ("Boom Boom Pow") are apparently the best music in America. In truth, that's not so bad, but I think back to other #1 singles by Britney, or Backstreet Boys ... I stopped listening to pop radio a long time ago.

Okay, I'm listening to the song now. It is that bad. Why the hell are Black Eyed Peas popular? I could swear they were ... well, at least not bad at some point in their career. But this is shite. Right up there with Britney and the Backstreet Boys.

It is that bad. Why the hell are Black Eyed Peas popular?

Popularity has no relationship with quality. Their music is currently being promoted successfully by the industry is all. This phenomena started really with disco when producers discovered the only important aspect of modern music is proper marketing and being businessmen they have shit taste.

I think at the moment they are testing how far they can actively destroy hip hop. Its similar to how art has degraded into a visual insult.

Unfortunately US culture has completely stagnated so I wouldn't expect anything intereseting for a while. But keep an eye on the religious right. Anything they think will send you to hell has potential.

Back