Gay Bishop appointed

Originally posted by okinrus
You automatically assumed that homosexual acts were valid under God despite it never being divinely proclaimed.
Oh no... I just looked in the bible... and using the internet was never divinely proclaimed.

And what makes you think this apples to all situations? Perhaps it was *gasp* a metaphor?
Jesus wrote it on the earth. "Therefore you shall be banned from the soil that opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your head."

So because everyone has sinned, captial punishment is wrong.
Hmm, I wasn't aware stoning was capital punishment... unless it ended in death.
Stoning is the intention of death. The old testament the theme is obediance over sacrifice, in the new testament it is mercy over sacrifice. If we kill someone because of their sin, we deserve to be killed for our "smaller sins".

You automatically assumed that homosexual acts were valid under God despite it never being divinely proclaimed.
Oh no... I just looked in the bible... and using the internet was never divinely proclaimed.
Using the internet was never condemned in the old testament.

Okinrus - Trust in God

I think your going to have to go to more explanation into this.
Pray about it. Contemplate. God will reveal the answer to your heart.

And since that won't happen, what the hell ....

Very simply, God knows what is in Robinson's heart. The members of the church do not. What the members of the church know is that the candidate who appears best-qualified for the position is gay. This is a big issue, but given that Jesus was gay--um ... wow ... Google had a surprise for me. More on that in a minute.

At any rate, I was referring to a rhetorical argument ... frak ... Google has really thrown me for a loop. I don't know how I missed this.

Okay, "When Christ was Gay" was the link I was originally looking for.

But then I found this.

And ... well, this is just funny: Jesus was gay (Ananova)

(Sometimes I don't get news editors ... they're funny, but ....)

Now then, back to the issue ....

As it is the church must consider why God has brought them the blessings of this decision, but the motives of His Will are ineffable.

But most importantly, they hesitate to denounce this man as evil, for if the Holy Spirit has brought Bishop Robinson to this crossroads, the House of Blues--er, I mean House of Bishops--runs a serious risk of denouncing the works of the Holy Spirit, a condition most unsatisfying to their eternal souls.

We might look to Matthew 25, as well. Whatsoever you do ... would you turn Him away just because He wasn't what you expected?

Does Psalm 118 put it in any better context for you?

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Pray about it. Contemplate. God will reveal the answer to your heart.
And since that won't happen, what the hell ....
Why not? I already mentioned that I've heard a voice say "trust me". Maybe my insanity will manifest itself in an answer :)

Very simply, God knows what is in Robinson's heart. The members of the church do not. What the members of the church know is that the candidate who appears best-qualified for the position is gay. This is a big issue, but given that Jesus was gay--um ... wow ... Google had a surprise for me. More on that in a minute.
[/qoute]
I don't believe that Robinson is an evil man. I think that a bishop should teach what the Church teaches. Is there anything wrong with that?

Rejoice and be glad ....

I don't believe in the episcopalian church.
Why do you assert the divinity of Episcopal doctrine and teachings, then?
How could this be the best candiate?
Ask the House of Bishops. In the meantime, do you know of a better candidate?
Hardly.

Rather, I'm pointing to your attempted usurpation of God's judgment.
Explain how believing in homosexual bishop voted into different church than my own, is trusting in God. It is trusting in men?
The Bishops have chosen to put judgment against Bishop Robinson's sins in God's hands, rather than to execute it themselves. His homosexuality aside, he was apparently the best candidate for the job, else we would not be having this debate by proxy of someone else getting it. In dealing with his homosexuality, the Bishops have deferred directly to God, an act of faith in His blessings. They would not have this choice to make were it not His Will.

[qoute]
Why do you assert the divinity of Episcopal doctrine and teachings, then?
[/quote]
I don't but I don't see any reason why God would not look after one of his other churches.

Ask the House of Bishops. In the meantime, do you know of a better candidate?
I'm sure they could find someone who has not been divorced and accept the authority of the church's teaching completely.

The Bishops have chosen to put judgment against Bishop Robinson's sins in God's hands, rather than to execute it themselves. His homosexuality aside, he was apparently the best candidate for the job, else we would not be having this debate by proxy of someone else getting it. In dealing with his homosexuality, the Bishops have deferred directly to God, an act of faith in His blessings. They would not have this choice to make were it not His Will.
Why are you assuming that the bishops deferred directly to God? I don't believe in their church.

Well ...

I don't believe that Robinson is an evil man. I think that a bishop should teach what the Church teaches. Is there anything wrong with that?
That's beside the point. Your issue is not with Robinson's teaching but with other parts of his life.

The House of Bishops cannot condemn Robinson as any more of a sinner than any of their own selves. Despite some people's doubts about the intelligence of Christians, one cannot be a complete idiot and become a Bishop. If these are honest men, then they recognize exactly what you've already said. (cf John 8.7)

And ... I can't imagine that such an important point of daily faith would slip by the Bishops. Well, I can, but just barely, and under such circumstances that would cast the faithful even more ridiculously than my usual criticisms. Perhaps to the point of unfairness.

(And a toast to Persol ... you should see the haze in here!)

I swear the catholic church must be the dysfunctional organization on the planet. Their whole being is predicated on the fundamental trait of any dysfucntional entity created by humans: ignore.

They dismiss marriages amongst its priests, leading to a tradition of homosexuality which they ignore. This leads to fucked up priests who are pedophiles and can practise their disgusting behaviours in virtual immunity. The church knew they were pedophiles and homosexuals amongst its ranks. They ignored because a dysfunctional organization ruled by the dysfunctional must be dysfuctional(Thx de Feliciono).

The problem obviously has nothing to do with the priest being gay; rather, a problem exists because he is openly gay, and thus cannot be ignored. Absolutely fucking pathetic. Fuck, I bet the pope is gay. If only he would come out and say so. Imagine all the problems that would solve. Aye, blasphemer me. Kiss my ass.

That's beside the point. Your issue is not with Robinson's teaching but with other parts of his life.
No, not at all. Augustine was in a homosexual relationship, however he repented and gave up that lifestyle. There are many 50 year olds who are celibrate, is this that bad when the interest of the church is at stake?

Stone free

I don't but I don't see any reason why God would not look after one of his other churches.
Do you pretend to be God, or know what God knows?

Short of that, I don't see what the point has to do with anything. I can give a critical analysis of other faiths, but I can't write their faith statements for them.
I'm sure they could find someone who has not been divorced and accept the authority of the church's teaching completely.
Quite apparently, they didn't.
Why are you assuming that the bishops deferred directly to God? I don't believe in their church.
First off, I'm actually curious how it is you think those two sentences fit together. They seem to be their own paragraphs.

The Bishops, recognizing their own sinfulness, chose not to cast the stone, but rather to acknowledge the unique situation God blessed them with, and to go forward in trust that the Lord will do his reckoning with Bishop Robinson in due time.

Um ... excuse me?

No, not at all. Augustine was in a homosexual relationship, however he repented and gave up that lifestyle. There are many 50 year olds who are celibrate, is this that bad when the interest of the church is at stake?
Excuse me, Okinrus, but the point you were making, it seemed, had to do with whether or not Robinson teaches what the Church teaches.

Now you seem to have shifted to your problems with Bishop Robinson's personal life.

They're valid issues insofar as we have this discussion at all, but they're not the same issue, and should not be treated the same.

Do you pretend to be God, or know what God knows?
Well one of the requirements for knowing God is to keep all of his commandents (1 John). Knowing God and knowing everything about God are two different things.

First off, I'm actually curious how it is you think those two sentences fit together. They seem to be their own paragraphs.
I know that my english is not as clear as yours :)

The Bishops, recognizing their own sinfulness, chose not to cast the stone, but rather to acknowledge the unique situation God blessed them with, and to go forward in trust that the Lord will do his reckoning with Bishop Robinson in due time.
What makes you think that you know what the bishops were thinking anymore than my knowledge about God? Trust in God is completely different than trusting in men.

They're valid issues insofar as we have this discussion at all, but they're not the same issue, and should not be treated the same.
They can be treated similarly. What one believes is shown by what one does. Unless if Robinson is completely hypocritical, he must believe that homosexual acts are not a sin.

(Insert Title Here)

Well one of the requirements for knowing God is to keep all of his commandents (1 John). Knowing God and knowing everything about God are two different things.
Beside the point. That you don't see any reason why God should or shouldn't has no bearing on what God wants.
What makes you think that you know what the bishops were thinking anymore than my knowledge about God? Trust in God is completely different than trusting in men.
First, and simply, it makes a better press release. Even if they don't believe it, it's the best thing to say. But then we're left at a simple question: Why confirm?

If simple prayer and reflection cannot lead a Bishop to figure out what I can sit here and say off the cuff, well ...

More genuinely, though, one of the benefits of having ditched the post-Christian ideology is the idea that I'm no longer bound by centuries of tradition to seek solely the worst in people by presuming their corrupt and sinful nature. Admittedly, I have an easy standard in some things for establishing corruption, but there's no reason to presume the bad in people. The bad shows. In the end, though, I have no reason to argue with the notion that the members of the House of Bishops believed genuinely that they were doing the right thing. If their belief is correct, then God is with them. If their belief is incorrect, we must consider the reasons why.

As we are not, despite the nature of your argument, privy to God's immediate thoughts, we cannot know if the Will of God is to shepherd Bishop Robinson by the Holy Spirit or by other means at God's disposal.

Consideration of these other means includes asserting the corruption of the decision and the hearts and minds and souls of the Bishops making it.

If that assertion is correct, then evil is identified. However, not being privy to God's immediate thoughts, we cannot know if that assertion is right or wrong. If that assertion is wrong, the condemnation of the Will of God in the form of the Holy Spirit acting through either Bishop Robinson or the Bishops who elevated him to his position as corrupt treads dangerously close to--as in directly over--the warning in Matthew 12.
Knowing God and knowing everything about God are two different things.
And knowing what God is thinking about any one specific issue is yet a third entirely.

The key issue with me on this point is this odd statement of yours: I don't but I don't see any reason why God would not look after one of his other churches.

It's only a couple of things that seem wrong with that, but essentially they come down to presumption of God's thoughts. On the one hand, I cannot presume that God "would not look after one of his other churches". To the other, while I agree that I can't imagine why, well ... duh. It's God. I'm not going to figure it out. Neither are you. There's a reason Christians have faith, namely that they cannot have knowledge of certain vital points.
I know that my english is not as clear as yours
Fair 'nuff. My bad, actually. I wasn't thinking in terms of that kind of translation.

Sorry to hit these point out of order.

But I think the fact that the Bishops chose to look past the homosexuality indicates that whatever punishment or denial is to be had for those sins is not theirs to give indicates that they are comfortable leaving judgment to God.

Judgment is God's alone. We may judge of the flesh, but true judgment is God's alone. Why would you accuse the Bishops of forgetting this?

The Bishops looked at their candidate and refused to throw stones. This is as it should be.
Something about faith in Jesus goes here. If I'm not mistaken, the Catholic Church at least protects against the idea that Jesus was not fully human. This is not exclusive to Catholics, and I would have to read up on the Episcopalian take, though the question so puzzles contemporary Christians that it well may not have come up in Episcopalian history.
They can be treated similarly. What one believes is shown by what one does. Unless if Robinson is completely hypocritical, he must believe that homosexual acts are not a sin.
Check the rules for heterosexuals. It's all pretty much a sin. Aside from requiring complete celibacy--an idea whose dangers ought to be obvious by now--every man of the cloth lives in sin. When your brain responds to the chemistry produced by your biology, you have sinned. It's a bit messed up.

However, to keep considerations in their proper scale, we can easily state that the good Bishop has every right before God, humankind, and his own conscience to reckon with his sins.

Choosing which sins to reject and which to endorse isn't really part of the package.

And you know, if Robinson is an utterly shallow human being, he can resort to the well-established premise that one need not believe what they teach. If he chooses to subject his conscience to such discord, well ... being gay in America in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries will have prepared him well.

However, if we choose to characterize Robinson as something more than the sum of one's xenophobic rejection, it's fair enough to say that a gay man who is bright enough to achieve the rank of Bishop is probably capable of some reasonably innovative thought. In fact, if I reject Original Sin as a presupposition pending objective demonstration, there suddenly opens the possibility that those who by their proximity to him experience part of his reconciliation process with God may find additional benefits hitherto hidden from the church faithful.

To me there is a great difference between the gender of the Bishop's human partner and his ability to teach those elements of faith required of him.

Tell me, does the Pharisee know more of compassion than the leper healed?

It's only a couple of things that seem wrong with that, but essentially they come down to presumption of God's thoughts.
God looks after everyone. While the English church split with us they have not, as of yet, decayed their teaching to this extant. Maybe this will sign to reunion the more conservative churches with the catholic church but I doubt it. Also when we look at sin, there is two kinds. There's habitual sin and more less occasional sin. The problem is that if we were to take the bible at face value, homosexual acts would be a mortal sin. Someone who sins habitually in this state is either unconcience of the choice or does not have grace within him. Though we have no right to judge Robinson, the Bishops do have to elect responsible men. A short list of traits of a bishop given in 1 Timothy are "This saying is trustworthy: whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task. Therefore, a bishop must be irreproachable, married only once, temperate, self-controlled, decent, hospital, able to teach, not a drunkard, not aggressive, but gentle, not contentious, not a lover of money." Ok, now Robinson probably meets all of those qualities, except the "married only once" but this shows that we cannot be led by leaders who are going to create scandal. He cannot teach something different than what he does. He's putting alot of presure on himself. If this does not work out and the church's split, will he feel that he was personally responsible?

Something about faith in Jesus goes here. If I'm not mistaken, the Catholic Church at least protects against the idea that Jesus was not fully human. This is not exclusive to Catholics, and I would have to read up on the Episcopalian take, though the question so puzzles contemporary Christians that it well may not have come up in Episcopalian history.
Yes, Jesus is both man and God. Otherwise it negates the suffering of Christ. If he wasn't fully man then who's going to save the other part of man?

It's all pretty much a sin. Aside from requiring complete celibacy--an idea whose dangers ought to be obvious by now--every man of the cloth lives in sin. When your brain responds to the chemistry produced by your biology, you have sinned. It's a bit messed up.
It would be dangerous to force someone to remain celibrate, but there's no harm in remaining celibrate. Hmm maybe this is one of the reasons why the Catholic church has conservative leaders but for the most part liberal laity. It would seem now that letting priest getting married would open up the liberals into the priesthood. Despite there being no objection in the bible about married priest.

And you know, if Robinson is an utterly shallow human being, he can resort to the well-established premise that one need not believe what they teach. If he chooses to subject his conscience to such discord, well ... being gay in America in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries will have prepared him well.
Don't get me wrong, Robinson is probably a nice person, but he should not be bishop.

Tell me, does the Pharisee know more of compassion than the leper healed?
After healing a man, Jesus said "Do not sin again." The debate is not about Robinson's rightousness, which does not really matter, but is inability to consent to the teachings of sin. Which is totally normal, but a bishop must be irreproachable.

Robinson is openly gay and unrepentant. Robinson must hold Jesus more important than his sex life and remain celibrate.

I'd have to agree with this, if it is expected of a Bishop to remain celibate, and he is now a Bishop, then that restriction should certainly apply to him. Has there been any word to make you think that he intends to continue having sex, or are you just assuming that he will?

As to God's will, unless if it is Divinely proclaimed to me that homosexual acts are not sinful, I cannot go against what the Church teaches.

Haha worthless todie. He never said it very clearly for one, and he also said a lot of stuff that you like to ignore, otherwise you'd be stoning people dead in the street a whole lot.

"Therefore, I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or the in the age to come."(Mathew 12:31-32)

I think your going to have to go to more explanation into this.

God aparently likes to contradict himself? "Blasphemy will be forgiven, but blasphemy will not be forgiven." Ok, thanks a bunch Mathew you've made that pretty clear, haha.

Blasphemy is a victemless crime, if you ask me.

Me Prideful :) You automatically assumed that homosexual acts were valid under God despite it never being divinely proclaimed.

Haha, God didn't proclaim a lot of things, Oki, this ain't the house that he built.

Using the internet was never condemned in the old testament.

However eating pork and shaving your beard was.

God aparently likes to contradict himself? "Blasphemy will be forgiven, but blasphemy will not be forgiven." Ok, thanks a bunch Mathew you've made that pretty clear, haha.

Blasphemy is a victemless crime, if you ask me.
Blasphemy will be forgiven but blasphemy against the the Holy Spirit will not. It's clear because only by the Holy Spirit can we seek repentance for our sins.

I'd have to agree with this, if it is expected of a Bishop to remain celibate, and he is now a Bishop, then that restriction should certainly apply to him. Has there been any word to make you think that he intends to continue having sex, or are you just assuming that he will?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3079641.stm

Back