Funny what you notice when you actually *read* the bible

yes, i wonder what God thinks of some of these relegions such as Christianity, that try to explain him and his ways.....i bet he's always thinking to himself....."what will they come up with next."

All quotes except two definitions(from dictionary.com) are from taken

Actually there is no need to bother reading the Bible if you aren't going to approach it with an open mind and exercise a little common sense. No need to read ANYTHING if not under those conditions.
Lets see, two very important phrases there.
o·pen-mind·ed (pn-mndd)
adj.

Having or showing receptiveness to new and different ideas or the opinions of others.
common sense
n.

Sound judgment not based on specialized knowledge; native good judgment.
LMAO, i beleive he was applying common sense to the bible lol
It is by that fact an important step in understanding ourselfs.
Understanding myself? I in no way understand myself any better when i read some fictitious character.
To read or quote bits and pieces of it for the simple task of pokeing fun at it or those who find value in it serves no purpose. Basically the person who read it has wasted a piece of their time...which is a valuable comodity.
Unless i missed something he started straight at the beginning and started walking through it, lmao
Anyone who is open-minded, by definition...looks to learn, collects knowledge, values understanding. I do not have to believe you to see the value in understanding you. With learning comes understanding...which begats tolerance, acceptance, compassion, mercy and in the perfect assimilation of all these things.."the dream" of peace.
By definition it does not mean any of those things,by definition he is receptive, or is skilled in the areas of reading or listening(just in case you dont understand that word either), in no way does that imply the concept of learning, or understand, that comes with acceptance of the said piece of information. The second phrase, the one with the knockoff of the bible, is not neccisarily true either, old whites learned years ago that slavery is good, greeks learned that millions of gods was correct, children LEARN that there is a god, children LEARN there is a tooth-fairy, children LEARN there is a santa, none of those "beget" tolerance, acceptance, campassion, mercy, OR PEACE!
Take a poll and see which one is most known, and understood by modern man. Which has the most impact on our cultural definitions and social orders. Which has the most effect on our freedoms and government. Which is most responsible for how and what most of us have been taught and which one most base their frame of reference from when judging the world and it's present state. Id be willing to bet that there would be ten times as many people in the entire world who have some knowledge of the Bible than who would know the first iota about the others.
World? hell no, america and europe? perhaps, but then again the decendents of people who have a gun up to their head or hung off a cliff and told "convert to christianity or die", it is quite a reasonable assumption

I think most of the other statements have been well handled

Greetings hockeywings!

Nice post, just one small correction...

I'm a she. :)

*curtsies politely* I now return you to the insanity of ExoSci forums, already in progres...

Taken,

Id be willing to bet that there would be ten times as many people in the entire world who have some knowledge of the Bible than who would know the first iota about the others.
According to official statistics only 30% of the world population is considered Christian. While Christianity is the largest religion it is only a minority perspective when considering the whole world. I think your math could withstand a revision.

Of the 30% we can be sure that many only follow the religion because of tradition and the culture in which they were born. And while many will be aware of the bible very few will have read any significant portion of it.

Most people in all countries tend to prefer to act like sheep; they will follow whatever the dominant leaders tell them.

The USA was specifically not founded on Christian principles. Most of the founding fathers were anti-Christian and desperately wanted America to avoid the terrible pitfalls of Christianity that had devastated most of Europe in the past.

The bible may well have had an influence on many of our western leaders, but you are offering this as a good thing. I prefer to believe how much more advanced and enlightened the western world could have been had the bible and Christianity not been around.

Cris

I must put my two cents in on this one

I in no way understand myself any better when i read some fictitious character.
I must say that this is tragic. I learn a great deal from characters with whom I am sympathetic; Bradbury's "The Crazy", Salinger's "Buddy Glass" (and "Seymour" and "Holden Caulfield") .... Harper Lee, Clive Barker, Jack Cady, Salman Rushdie, Steven Brust ... all of them have characters who can still teach a thing or two. It's part of what fiction does: considers reality abstractly. What we do with it is up to us. (Wow, look at all those two-letter words! :D )

You know, it's kind of like a Buddhist friend of mine puts it; he talks about the Buddha in certain, fixed terms, but manages to account for all the BS of any such position with a simple phrase: "As the story goes ...."

It's all in the wrist, see?

But I do have a difficult time with the God character in the Bible; I don't mind the notion of gods hopping bodies and so forth, but that's the point: it's a story, not something worth basing a "civilization" (if you'll permit me a liberal abuse of the term) around. We would do better to elevate Aldous Huxley, JD Salinger, and Salman Rushdie to "holy" status; indeed, two of those egos would definitely disapprove. I learned more about myself and the world from Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird than I do from the Bible.

thanx much,
Tiassa :cool:

exactly cris......people followed the majority (Christian beliefs) back in the days before america was developed. whether it be for social status or the "we better do it or their gona burn us" thing. The people with the most influence normaly are the ones who get their way. im willing to bet that if society A with its relegion "b" dominated over society C with its relegion "d" then of course society A's relegion would prosper and eventualy turn much of society C's relgious beliefs into theirs if not destroying it all together.

Genesis, chapter 1. To make a long story short, God creates the world. He creates the light, the firmament, the waters. He creates dry land, causes grasses to grow upon it. He populates the world with animals.

Genesis 1:26 Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness....
1:27 So God created man in His own Image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
1:28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply..."

ok so far...

Cool, so God makes the planet, and everything on it, including a bunch of human beings. God is also apparently more than one being, with all the "us"'s and "our image" chatter.

'us' likely refers to all of the members of God's kingdom, Him and his Angels, etc...

Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
2:8 The Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man whom He had formed

What's this? The Gods had already created man ("male and female He created them") back on the sixth day. So now here we are, after the seventh day, and then the LORD GOD creates a new, seperate man, and places him in a special little garden. Why is this? We'll find out in a moment, but first...

he is merely describing something that already took place in more detail....

I find it interesting, the implications here. This is the first mention of God as "Lord God", which implies to me that we are now talking about an individual God, rather than the multifaceted "Us" God of Chapter 1. But let's keep reading...

2:9 - 2:14 describes the garden, names the rivers, and lets us know Lord God has planted a bunch of really cool trees, including the tree of life, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

2:15 Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. (Oh, I see...Adam is the janitor. Gotcha.)
16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat;
17 "but of the tree of knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

Wow, that's kinda heavy! Lord God has given Adam a pretty straightforward message though - if you eat my special tree, you will die THAT DAY!! No two ways about it, no special circumstances, pretty cut-and-dried. Eat tree = die that day. Got it.

you MUST realize that this was written hunderds of years ago, yes? you do not read shakespear and take everything literally, do you? sheesh...

'..in the day that you eat of it you shall shurely die." means that the GAURANTEE (sp?) of death will come on that day

He's telling Eve - "Hey, guess what? God lied to you! He's just afraid you'll realize the difference between good and evil! You won't die!"

Let's stop a second and examine this. The serpent is directly contradicting God. Essentially, he's calling God a liar.

And think about it...why would God not want human beings to know the difference between good and evil? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it? Unless, perhaps, God didn't want his experimental couple to realize they're being held prisoner...even if the prison is a pretty little garden. Just a guess, of course, but rather suspicious if you ask me.

sigh....
its a test, obviously...

But let's get back to this story...

3:6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desireable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave some to her husband with her, and he ate.
7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.
8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam an dhis wife hid themseves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.
9 Then the Lord God called to Adam and said to him, "Where are you?"
10 So he said, "I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself"

Well...that's interesting. They discovered they were naked, and sewed fig leaves together to cover up their naughty bits. And apparently, Lord God is pretty easy to fool, if Adam can duck behind some trees and hide himself from the "presence of the Lord God"

God knows hes there, hes merely asking 'what are you doing?', or 'why are you hiding?'

So Lord God curses the serpent to crawl on his belly (I guess serpents had legs? Umm...lizards?), and to eat dust, and to always have animosity between his descendants and Eve's descendants. Two points here - snakes don't eat dust, so apparently that part of the curse didn't take hold.

while snakes dont LITERALLY eat dust, they crawl along the ground with their jaws touching, or near-touching the dirt

And I personally have a pet serpent, so I guess either I'm not descended from Eve, or my snake isn't descended from this particular serpent. Or, another part of Lord God's curse was innefectual.

in general, snakes in the wild do not get along well with humans...

Then Lord God goes on to curse Eve to feel pain in childbirth and to be ruled over by man. Then he curses Adam to toil on an earth that won't be as peachy-keen as that garden was.

Then God slaughters a couple animals to make skin clothing for Adam and Eve.

This one I'll quote directly:

2:22 Then the Lord God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil. And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever" -

And then Lord God boots Adam and Eve out of the Garden and placed a cherubim and a flaming sword to make sure he didn't sneak back in.

But who was Lord God talking to? Ahh...the rest of the Gods, those guys who helped create the planet way back in the beginning.

no, his angels...

So all in all what have we learned?

1. Lord God is not the only God
God was speaking to his angels, etc...

2. Lord God is, or at least used to be, a local diety
heh...i dont even know what that means...so what if hes local?

3. Adam and Eve are *not* the forbearers of all mankind, only a small percentage of it. Nor was Adam the first man.
adam WAS the first man, though its possible that God made other people after him

4. The serpent never lied or decieved Eve at all - every word the serpent said was the truth.
huh???
the serpent said that they would not lose their immortality if they ate of the tree. which was a lie. he also implied that God gave them access to the tree, but didnt want them to eat of it for reasons other than their safety/wellbeing

5. Lord God is not above making empty threats
already splained the snake thing...

And just think, we're less than 5 chapters into the first book of the Bible, and already contemporary Christianity is looking a lot like a sieve
there are probably some atheistic scholars who would disagree with the 'points' you have made...

'us' likely refers to all of the members of God's kingdom, Him and his Angels, etc...

You must be a Christian. This is one of the two typical Christian responses. The other response would be "us" refers to God and Jesus. Christians believe that Jesus was a co-creator and has always existed.

But if you look at the original text, the word was never "God" it was Eloheem. A word that is not singular. It means "Beings that decending from the Heavens"

Extraterrestrials?

You make your own conclusion!!!!

im not exactly a christian, but i do prefer logic and open-mindedness to seemingly intact though flawed arguments/logic intended to mislead

this is actually what the snake does by the way...

The logical and open minded conclusion when reading the Bible, especially in Genesis and Ezekiel is that Extraterrestrials in some way intervened.

Some how I doubt that by believing in a snake that talks and lies has anything to do with logic. The snake was used in the Bible to establish Evil or the Devil and to draw a line between Heaven and Hell. Even though, these are all man made concepts.

Greetings, MangoMan,

You think when God says "Us" he is "likely" speaking to angels. What makes you think that?

he is merely describing something that already took place in more detail....

Then why does the description not match? The sequence of events is different, that's not describing in more detail, that's either describing something different, or contradicting the first description. And if my interpretation isn't the valid one, where did Cain's wife and all the other people of Nod come from?

you MUST realize that this was written hunderds of years ago, yes? you do not read shakespear and take everything literally, do you? sheesh...

Of course not, only an idiot, or a fundamentalist would take the bible literally. However, I have people (you decide if they're idiots or fundamentalists) knocking on my door and demanding I do just that. So, I'm giving it a shot, and coming up with some interesting conclusions. If I actually took the bible literally, I'd be too *afraid* of Lord God to even talk about this, he might send bears to rip my arms off or something.

'..in the day that you eat of it you shall shurely die." means that the GAURANTEE (sp?) of death will come on that day

Oh? And you know this how? That's not what my version of the bible says. It says "In the day that you eat of it", not "if you eat of it", or "after you eat it", it specifically says "in the day".

sigh....
its a test, obviously...

This isn't obvious to me. If it is a test, why did God have to test Adam & Eve in the first place - did he not already know the answer? If they failed the test before they even ate of the tree, before their "innocence" was compromised - whose fault is that? If you set a plate of meat in front of a puppy, are you going to beat him soundly and confine him to a pen for the rest of his life for eating it? Monsterously unfair, don't you think? Especially if you *created* the puppy to begin with, complete with meat-gobbling tendancies. I think the answer is more that God figured Adam and Eve for being a different creature than they were - he didn't reckon on our curiosity, which implies to me either Lord God failed to create us as he wanted us, or he simply didn't know the full consequences of his own creation and was experimenting to discover them.

Again, where does it say this, or even allude to it? There are other portions of the bible where God admonishes his followers not to worship other Gods before him as well, indicating that God himself has acknowledged at least the *presence* of other Gods. So why is it not possible he was speaking to some of these other Gods back at the beginning of things?

heh...i dont even know what that means...so what if hes local?

That means he's not all-present, all-knowing. He's a limited being, holding influence over only a portion of the people alive at this time. Quite different from the modern Christian conception of an omnipotent god.

the serpent said that they would not lose their immortality if they ate of the tree. which was a lie. he also implied that God gave them access to the tree, but didnt want them to eat of it for reasons other than their safety/wellbeing

I see it stated nowhere that Adam and Eve had immortality. In fact, the reason God boots them from the garden is so that they will *not* gain immortality. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense if they had it in the first place. They didn't lose immortality, they lost *ignorance*. The serpent merely said that God lied when he said they would die on the day they ate from the tree, and that God doesn't want them to eat it because it will open their eyes. The serpent never said one word about immortality, simply that the fruit wouldn't kill them. As for the implications you mention, I would say they were right on the money. The tree of knowledge had nothing to do with immortality, at least not as it's recorded in the bible.

there are probably some atheistic scholars who would disagree with the 'points' you have made...

And what do atheists have to do with contemporary Christianity?? There is probably a scholar of every type somewhere in the world that would disagree with my 'points' - such is the nature of free thinking. What's YOUR 'point' by stating the obvious??

MangoMan

I believe I owe you a welcome to the forum; if not, it just means I haven't been paying close enough attention--your handle is unfamiliar to me. I was wondering if I could get clarification on a point:
'us' likely refers to all of the members of God's kingdom, Him and his Angels, etc..
Is that, then, the same "us" that God refers to in Gen. 3 when He notes that man can reach out his hand to the tree of life in order to become "like us"? How, then, is man depraved, deprived, or so lowly as to require elevation to equal the rest of God's kingdom?

Of course, we might have an issue of words; to me, God's kingdom (as applied) refers to the whole of the Universe and Creation.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Greetings cupric and i appologize for the 'he' thing, i feel like an arse now lol
I must say that this is tragic. I learn a great deal from characters with whom I am sympathetic; Bradbury's "The Crazy", Salinger's "Buddy Glass" (and "Seymour" and "Holden Caulfield") .... Harper Lee, Clive Barker, Jack Cady, Salman Rushdie, Steven Brust ... all of them have characters who can still teach a thing or two. It's part of what fiction does: considers reality abstractly. What we do with it is up to us. (Wow, look at all those two-letter words! )
An aristetilian form of thinking, I would say that thinking about a subject and then applying yourself to that subject would be a better form then, say, reading a book, feeling sympathetic over a fictitious character and adjusting your life or values or more understanding of yourself over a fictitious character.

Hockeywings - you shouldn't feel like an arse at all - how were you to know my sex? "Cupric" simply means copper - a fiery metal possibly most often associated with "male" things like wires and old armaments. :)

And besides, I've been affectionately called "one of the guys" often enough to find being mistaken for the opposite sex rather familar in a comfortable sort of way. At least, until it begins to happen to me in person, then I might be a bit dismayed... *laughs*

ooooo more debating
what fun! :D

Then why does the description not match? The sequence of events is different, that's not describing in more detail, that's either describing something different, or contradicting the first description. And if my interpretation isn't the valid one, where did Cain's wife and all the other people of Nod come from?

there are many possibilities....
its possible that God created the body of Adam before bringing it to life
its possible he created man as an animal before giving him a soul...
its possible he created the human race, and then created a special man whom he named Adam (which is what you were getting at i think)

Of course not, only an idiot, or a fundamentalist would take the bible literally. However, I have people (you decide if they're idiots or fundamentalists) knocking on my door and demanding I do just that. So, I'm giving it a shot, and coming up with some interesting conclusions. If I actually took the bible literally, I'd be too *afraid* of Lord God to even talk about this, he might send bears to rip my arms off or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh? And you know this how? That's not what my version of the bible says. It says "In the day that you eat of it", not "if you eat of it", or "after you eat it", it specifically says "in the day".

"...in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."
ie: ....in the day that you eat of it, it will become a sure thing that you will die
that is my explanation and opinion
dont forget that its not modern speech...

quote:
sigh....
its a test, obviously...
This isn't obvious to me. If it is a test, why did God have to test Adam & Eve in the first place - did he not already know the answer? If they failed the test before they even ate of the tree, before their "innocence" was compromised - whose fault is that? If you set a plate of meat in front of a puppy, are you going to beat him soundly and confine him to a pen for the rest of his life for eating it? Monsterously unfair, don't you think? Especially if you *created* the puppy to begin with, complete with meat-gobbling tendancies. I think the answer is more that God figured Adam and Eve for being a different creature than they were - he didn't reckon on our curiosity, which implies to me either Lord God failed to create us as he wanted us, or he simply didn't know the full consequences of his own creation and was experimenting to discover them.
heh...its funny how you think that He's a man or something...
whatever the entire whole of God would be it is far greater than a man could imagine... (even if 'God' is only an idea)

also, its quite possible that He knew they would fail
or at least planned for both possibilities

Again, where does it say this, or even allude to it? There are other portions of the bible where God admonishes his followers not to worship other Gods before him as well, indicating that God himself has acknowledged at least the *presence* of other Gods. So why is it not possible he was speaking to some of these other Gods back at the beginning of things?

again, more than one possibility
maybe God is extremely complex and does not conform to either 'individual' or 'many'
he could have meant the angels, ETC... that populate his kingdom (in this case kingdom being Heaven, not the universe)

the 'other gods' are evil spirits, which would be over in the topic of witchcraft, etc...
they are bound to obey the command of God, and are far weaker
one of these is what prompted the serpent to say what it did...

That means he's not all-present, all-knowing. He's a limited being, holding influence over only a portion of the people alive at this time. Quite different from the modern Christian conception of an omnipotent god.

k....
how did you arive at that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see it stated nowhere that Adam and Eve had immortality. In fact, the reason God boots them from the garden is so that they will *not* gain immortality. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense if they had it in the first place. They didn't lose immortality, they lost *ignorance*. The serpent merely said that God lied when he said they would die on the day they ate from the tree, and that God doesn't want them to eat it because it will open their eyes. The serpent never said one word about immortality, simply that the fruit wouldn't kill them. As for the implications you mention, I would say they were right on the money. The tree of knowledge had nothing to do with immortality, at least not as it's recorded in the bible.

if you assume that the tree of knowledge does not give instant death, but eventual death(as well as removal of ignorance, yes), then that would mean that before eating of the tree you would NOT have eventual death, thus having immortality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And what do atheists have to do with contemporary Christianity?? There is probably a scholar of every type somewhere in the world that would disagree with my 'points' - such is the nature of free thinking. What's YOUR 'point' by stating the obvious??

yes i apologize that was a dumb thing to say

Once again, I think you are confusing the two. The Tree of Knowledge symbolizes just that....knowledge. It has nothing to do with life or death. And it seems to me, when reading the Bible with and open mind, these beings that created us were trying to hide knowledge from us.

Now the Tree of Life, on the other hand, is about immortality. These beings didn't want us to eat the fruits of this tree because we would become like them. We would become like these Gods that created us. We would live forever.

Peace

Once again, I think you are confusing the two. The Tree of Knowledge symbolizes just that....knowledge. It has nothing to do with life or death. And it seems to me, when reading the Bible with and open mind, these beings that created us were trying to hide knowledge from us.

Now the Tree of Life, on the other hand, is about immortality. These beings didn't want us to eat the fruits of this tree because we would become like them. We would become like these Gods that created us. We would live forever.

so 'they' dont want us to be immortal, or have knowledge...
so they make two trees that give both of these things, leave them ungaurded, and place us right between them?

Back