Fundamentalist Faith is Intolerance

MacM:

You say this:
MacM said:
You are mistaken. Evidence in the form of scientific understanding of processes undermines the concepts advocated by blind faith. Accepting scientific data and reasoning is not blind faith. Quite the opposite it is not blind it is enlightening. To advocate a concept in absence of evidence is blind faith.

Too which I will ask: So what scientific evidence have you got that disproves the existance of God?

But...

Science does not prove God doesn't exist but it does show that for there to be a God would be superflous. If something can occur by understood natural physical causes, it occurance ascribed to a God simply means God was not required. God adds nothing to the understanding but actually detracts from the understanding.

So really you are saying that there is no evidence for the non existance of God right?

So if you say "There is no God" what are you basing this belief on? As it certainly can't be evidence...

Dave

excuse me having read your response to fahrenheit post, could you clarify what an accident has to do with anything.

audible said:
excuse me having read your response to fahrenheit post, could you clarify what an accident has to do with anything.

I was referring to the control aspect of your own destiny. Something I won't hang onto but thought I'd throw it in in anyway.

Dave

Jenyar said:
Look at yourself:

vs.

(I don't). Are you sure these are human civilized qualities? Can you prove it? Why aren't you also "agnostic" about these qualities?

What's the difference between your latter unsupported claim as written down in sciforums Fundamentalist Faith is Intolerance 2 verse 2, and the same affirmation made in the Bible. Agreement is only excluded by prejudice arising out of unbelief.

Symantics do not protect the Bible. Now you claim one has to prove good and evil from a human perspective? Good and evil are relative terms and vary around the world but collectively we have a majority opinion on what they are.

It is not predjudice. It is informed opinion based on evidence, not predjudice formed by Biblical indoctrination without evidence.

davewhite04 said:
Well I'm pleased you feel that you're an enlightened being... tell me does this mean there is no chance of changing you're stance in this context? Also, you sound like a decent person so do you get the urge to tell people about this truly enlightening way of thinking?

Ever heard of an accident?

Stating that there are no mad atheists is a pretty BIG claim, can you back it up?

Dave
when you become an atheist, it a very personal thing, it's not a group thing like a religion, the only person who enlightens you, is you, it's that eureka moment.
yes it is something, you will not change you stance in, and no you dont get the urge, to indoctrinate, far form it.

I can understand why fahrenheit says that, there must be mad atheists, but it would be extremely rare.

It seems to me that part of the issue that the discussion is looking past is found in an aspect of religious fundamentalism, especially in the case of redemptive faith:

• The assumption that a faith is correct above all others can be rooted in many different principles, but in the case of redemptive religion, that principle is the utmost, the highest in the Universe, the most important thing in all creation.

"Atheistic fundamentalism" often seems to be that vicious and belligerent atheism that leads me to the sarcastic question of whether or not someone argues with Dickens. It is such a jealously-devoted anti-identification against this or that God that it plays persecutory politics to such a point that one cannot possibly read the beginning or end of A Tale of Two Cities without damning Dickens as a blithering idiot awash in contradiction and false principles:

• "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." (Right, Charlie--which one was it? It can't be both!)
• "It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done. It's a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known." (To borrow a phrase from Lisa Simpson, "What does that even mean?")

In either case, such objections would require a certain lack of figurative vision; the atheism that would "argue with Dickens" is distinctly marked by that lack.

There is also the idea of "atheistic fundamentalism" that coincides with something like I was discussing about the wrongness of molesting children: It's a perspective that will accept no contradiction as rational, but is non-theistic (atheistic) inasmuch as God has nothing to do with the principle.

And in the case of this seeming adoption of a superior philosophy, what differs from the religious-fundamentalist idea is the lack of an asserted justification by the highest value in the Universe that applies to the entirety of a person's perspective.

The sad thing is that in the constant reorganization of the house, I've managed to lose track of a book I often mention, Pious Passions, by Martin Riesebrödt, which includes in its introduction an attempt to discuss a proper sociological definition of fundamentalism. It is a fairly difficult question to answer, but mere blind faith in a paradigm does not actually equal fundamentalism; I suppose that was in the back of my mind when I responded the first time--the topic definition seems to include more under the banner of fundamentalism than the nitpickety, inaccurate definitions of 1980s sociologists.

Nonetheless, what theistic "blind faith" includes that non-theistic "blind faith" generally lacks is an overarching organizational principle dependent on an unprovable assertion of the nature of ultimate reality--e.g. God.

As Wes noted:

Wesmorris said:

. . . sure it's all a leap of faith, but "faith in reason" is a leap of zero distance... and when you're talking about faith in things like that, minimizing the distance of the jump is important, or it becomes necessary to start rejecting stimulous as invalid (because along with your faith comes expectation)

The only nit to pick is that faith in reason is subject to limitations of perception and assimilation; Wes' faith in reason may serve him well, but faith in reason in the hands of an idiot can be just as dangerous as faith in God.

And while perception and assimilation are subject to error, issues lacking the assertion of an overarching organizational principle dependent on an unprovable assertion of ultimate reality tend to remain more aloof from one another, which undermines the necessary coincidence of the situational result with the cohesive organizational assertion. Atheistic issues may provide some interesting conflicts of interest leading to the appearance of irrationality, but those conflicts are not necessarily similar to the consistent refusal of perception and assimilation according to God's demands.

So even the fundamentalism I would extend outside the religious arena is different from the theistic version.

But such is diverse humanity.

Jenyar said:
PPS.

Answer this: Have you personally verified and checked every datum with your own bare hands?. Whose "hands on understanding" are you believing in? You are assuming much.

History isn't an experiment you can repeat, you know.

No but one must be overly pessimistic of human kind to not trust the concensus of the majority that have reviewed such data. There may be variations of interpretation of such data but no such "Diety" conclusion is among any rational alternative explanation.

No history cannot be repeated but it most certainly can and must be considered in light of the period in which it was recorded.

It was once believed that worms in a rain barrel were miracles of life, proof of God. Now we know just how much it doesn't mean any such thing.

At least most sane humans understand that.

Last edited:
davewhite04 said:
MacM:

You say this:

Too which I will ask: So what scientific evidence have you got that disproves the existance of God?

But...

So really you are saying that there is no evidence for the non existance of God right?

So if you say "There is no God" what are you basing this belief on? As it certainly can't be evidence...

Dave

You know either skipping through posts and picking out tid bits out of context
or simply deliberately distorting the record to argue really makes no sense.

I have stated clearly many times that there is currently no proof that there is no God and that there is not likely to ever be such "Proof".

However, I have also made it clear that what evidence there is runs counter to the idea that there is. Beleiveing there is no God is substantially suppported indeed by mounds of evidence, not to mention simple logic.

Advocating a God (especially in the light as is done by ALL human fabricated and organized religions, demeans any true God that could possibly exist.

tiassa said:
The only nit to pick is that faith in reason is subject to limitations of perception and assimilation. Wes' faith in reason may serve him well, but faith in reason in the hands of an idiot can be just as dangerous as faith in God.

Well put. You're right about perception and assimilation. The main advantage I see is: At least it's honest.

I would laugh at the pope to his face as he claimed "god is real". You might as well say "I am authority". It's a lie. It's not a lie because it isn't true, it's a lie because you can't show it to be so. You can only hypothesize. When a hypothesis is promoted as absolute truth, that promotion is a lie, exactly because we ALL share those limitations, though they vary from mind to mind.

EDIT:

Faith in one's hypothesis may be simple vanity if it's blind. Blind faith refuses contradictory stimulous. Perhaps if the outcome has no bearing on reality, the point is moot, but everything one believes reflects out of them and onto existence... where it has bearing on reality.

Last edited:
Hi there!

mustafhakofi said:
when you become an atheist, it a very personal thing, it's not a group thing like a religion, the only person who enlightens you, is you, it's that eureka moment.

What you wrote above applies to my acceptance of a belief in God, which wasn't that long ago and didn't/doesn't involve any man made religious dogma. I do not take all the credit for being enlightened though.

yes it is something, you will not change you stance in,

This is what I can't understand, but I respect your stance.

I can understand why fahrenheit says that, there must be mad atheists, but it would be extremely rare.

I can see your reasoning for stating the above, but do not accept it personally.

Thanks

Dave

Hiya MacM,

MacM said:
You know either skipping through posts and picking out tid bits out of context or simply deliberately distorting the record to argue really makes no sense.

All I did was reply to your post in it's entirety. How did I distort the record? Please talk me through it as I don't want any unnecessary friction to occur.

Believing there is no God is substantially supported indeed by mounds of evidence

Could you please explain or show me at least some of this mound of evidence?

Thanks

Dave

wesmorris said:
I agree that strong athiesm requires faith, but further I think that any coherent perspective is based on faith. IMO, accepting logic and reason is an act of faith and I think they are necessary for a coherent perspective. As I often argue, sure it's all a leap of faith, but "faith in reason" is a leap of zero distance... and when you're talking about faith in things like that, minimizing the distance of the jump is important, or it becomes necessary to start rejecting stimulous as invalid (because along with your faith comes expectation), which leads to neurosis, etc. Badness ensues.

Given the two definitions of faith someone posted the other day though, I could say that logic and reason are demonstrably effective and as such non-circular.

All nice and well, yes, logic. But *which* logic?

Check out this thread: Logic and nihilism -- from there, by Proteus:

Here is short list of logics that have an accepted status today and are different from classical logic:
-- many-valued logic (admitting at least three truth-values besides classical True and False; here, the sky is the limit, there are even infinite-valued logics),
-- probability logic (formally a variant of infinite-valued logic),
-- fuzzy logic (created by an engineer to model vague concepts),
-- intuitionistic logic (Heyting's logic, in which the classical law of excluded middle is not accepted),
-- free logic (the domain of discourse can be empty - this is prohibited in classical logic),
-- the huge family of modal logics, i.e., the logics of necessity and possibility - a class of inferences ignored by classical logic (historically the first of this family was C.I. Lewis' "logic of strict implication" in his systems S1 - S5),
-- intensional type-theoretic logic (Richard Montague's logic to model a broad class of inferences made in natural language),
-- various logics to treat counterfactual implications of the form "If it were the case that A, then it would be the case that B" (David Lewis in his "Counterfactuals" examines 26 such logics - their semantics is based on a topological generalization of the semantics of modal logic first given by Kripke in the sixties),
-- default (or non-monotonic) logics (here the monotonicity principle of classical logic is given up),
-- deontic logic (a variant of modal logic dealing with obligations and permissions),
-- the logic of common sense reasoning (initiated by Minsky and subsequently developed by AI people and philosophers),
-- dynamic logic (Pratt's idea of modelling abstract computer programs),
-- temporal logics (Prior's "linear time" systems and the subsequent developments using branching future),

and the list could be much much longer than this.
/.../

The landscape is perplexing and one mode of inference judged valid by one of the above logics may well be judged invalid by the other. The natural question arises: which one of them is the real logic?
/.../
it might well turn out some day that classical logic does not describe reality adequately but some other logic does, probably one still to be discovered.

So whenever some atheist goes at religionists and claims that religious faith is "irrational" or "not based on any evidence" -- I just wonder which logic this self-proclaimed scientific atheist adheres to ...

Two things are sure:
One: Science is a vast space, and the amount of knowledge is overwhelming. For an atheist to go against a religionist, claiming that the religionist is not "scientific" implies that the atheist has *very good* knowledge of science. I dare all those scientific atheists to prove their scientific background!
Two: To be scientific, one must adhere at least to the rules of traditional logic. Yet, when so many atheists attack religionists, they are using *strawmen* versions of the religionist's doctrine. Needless to say, to use strawmen is a very unscientific method of argumentation.

Such atheists are fundamentalistic in the most embarrassing way, living in glass houses, throwing stones.

wesmorris said:
From a conversation with Jenyar in another thread, I just stumbled across that thought. Perhaps it's obvious.

Once you assume your faith to be correct above all others (which is basically what I think of as "fundamentalist") you inherently exclude all other views. As such, they are offensive... an attack on your faith. With that in mind, how can there be tolerance? How can you consider the perspective of a non-believer, or remotely consider their thoughts/actions valid if you've already assumed they are NOT?

This is a recipe for war and death.

Perhaps it's an evolutionary development to cull the herd?

Yes, very likely.
Humans are by nature *not* cooperative, says Game Theory. And not being cooperative goes hand in hand with being more or less intolerant.
Not being cooperative is a natural consequence of being a rational agent trying to survive -- if A has a certain information or resource, and A knows that B could also obtain it, A must do so that B will not obtain it, or be ahead of B in some other way, if A wants to survive.

I'm sorry rosa, it does not matter how you prefix or suffix the word logic, it only has one meaning,and I quote.
Logic
Elementary Logic
Logical Arguments,Uses of Language, Definition and Meaning
Categorical Propositions and Immediate Inferences,
Categorical Syllogisms and Their Validity,
Syllogisms in Ordinary Language,

Logical Symbols expressing Argument Form and Statement Form,
Rules of Inference and Replacement to prove Validity or Invalidity,
Basics of Quantification Theory
Fallacies of Relevance, Presumption, and Ambiguity
The study of the principles of reasoning, especially of the structure of propositions as distinguished from their content and of method and validity in deductive reasoning.

A system of reasoning,A mode of reasoning,Valid reasoning,Causal Reasoning,Analogical Inferences,Scientific Explanation,Probability Theory.

it's the product of reasoning.

Can't remember who said "I have just as much authority as The Pope, just not as many people who believe it"

Last edited:
davewhite04 said:
Hiya MacM,

All I did was reply to your post in it's entirety. How did I distort the record? Please talk me through it as I don't want any unnecessary friction to occur.

No, what you did was distort what I have repeatedly said and/or ignored some aspects of what I said to generate a false arguement and create a burden of proof which doesn't exist.

i.e - For the 15th time: "I have not said "THERE IS NO GOD". I said "THERE IS NO PROOF THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST, NOR IS THERE PROOF THAT HE DOES".

But these statements are far from conceeding the existance of a God and indeed I have stated and continue to state that "THE EVIDENCE STRONGLY SUGGEST THERE IS AND NEVER HAS BEEN A GOD".

Could you please explain or show me at least some of this mound of evidence?
Thanks
Dave

NO! As should be apparent that is an abnormal requirement. But I can give you an outline of what it entails.

The evidence includes everything ever learned by human kind in physics, biology, cosmology, mathematics and processes of nature, psychology, history, etc., etc, etc.

Now that sir is a mound of evidence. A mound so large that no person can present it in a coherent manner as a proof. But collectively human knowledge and understanding shows that every mystical issue of antiquity claimed to be evidence of a God, is really a logical process governed by rules of physics , etc.

Now I suggest the the burden of proof here is actually the opposite of what you would like to assert and I request that you show me everything man knows or believes he knows is false and/or that such knowledge does not lessen the likelyhood of there being a God but more importantly that what we know and understand actually means the opposite, that it suggests a God.

GOOD LUCK - See you in a few thousand years when you finish.

Religion - Simple minds require simple answers. I wish I could find all the answers in just one book . . . I've read thousands and am still blissfully getting to enjoy learning and searching!

MacM:

MacM said:
i.e - For the 15th time: "I have not said "THERE IS NO GOD". I said "THERE IS NO PROOF THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST, NOR IS THERE PROOF THAT HE DOES".

So when I said:

This didn't apply to you? Which I assume means that you class yourself as a weak atheist or an agnostic. I assumed you were a strong atheist my apologies.

But these statements are far from conceeding the existance of a God and indeed I have stated and continue to state that "THE EVIDENCE STRONGLY SUGGEST THERE IS AND NEVER HAS BEEN A GOD".

This is your opinion and I respect that.

The evidence includes everything ever learned by human kind in physics, biology, cosmology, mathematics and processes of nature, psychology, history, etc., etc, etc.

Now that sir is a mound of evidence.

I don't want to irritate you, but I have yet to see any evidence that points away from the existance of a God. There is evidence that seemingly contradicts scripture in the Bible I admit.

Now I suggest the the burden of proof here is actually the opposite of what you would like to assert and I request that you show me everything man knows or believes he knows is false and/or that such knowledge does not lessen the likelyhood of there being a God but more importantly that what we know and understand actually means the opposite, that it suggests a God.

What I'm pointing out is that blind faith is not exclusive to theists. Also, non-theists can be fundamentalists too, it's a human thing imo.

Just my 2 pence.

Dave

Gravity said:
Religion - Simple minds require simple answers. I wish I could find all the answers in just one book . . . I've read thousands and am still blissfully getting to enjoy learning and searching!

I can only hope that your hypothesis is not entirely reversable.

That is "Simple answers means simple minds". :D

Because I do see far more simple explanations for many issues in physics and consequently the meaning or lack of it for views of deities, etc.

davewhite04 said:
MacM:

So when I said:

This didn't apply to you? Which I assume means that you class yourself as a weak atheist or an agnostic. I assumed you were a strong atheist my apologies.

I don't particularily agree with some of the lables but I find those that make claim "There is no God" to be just as lacking in proof and those that claim "There is a God".

"Proof" is a very precise word. There simply is no proof either way. If you must lable me then I should be labled the strongest possible "weak" atheist.

That is I am firmly convienced atheists are absolutely correct with the exception that one can not claim "Proof".

No apology expected or required.

This is your opinion and I respect that.

Ditto.

I don't want to irritate you, but I have yet to see any evidence that points away from the existance of a God. There is evidence that seemingly contradicts scripture in the Bible I admit.

Debunking scripture is fun and quite easy, debunking deities logically is fun and easy also. Using any specific sceintific discovery or understanding to show there is no God is not quite as easy. Showing the existance of God via simular means is also not quite so eacy. In fact I would have to conclude both are impossible burdens.

We are left then with interpretation as to the signifigance of our learning and understanding in regard to the trend. The trend is to explain issues and jprocesses from a physical understanding which suggests, not that God cannot exist but that God would be superflous. i.e. - Not required.

There is nothing in science that can claim what we learn is not God's process but to assume so seems frought with more que4stions than answers and merely complicates the issue rendering ultimate knowledge impossible.

I prefer to not do that.

What I'm pointing out is that blind faith is not exclusive to theists. Also, non-theists can be fundamentalists too, it's a human thing imo.

Just my 2 pence.

Dave

We can "generally" agree on this.

MacM said:
Using any specific sceintific discovery or understanding to show there is no God is not quite as easy. Showing the existance of God via simular means is also not quite so eacy. In fact I would have to conclude both are impossible burdens.

At this point in time I agree 100% with ya.

Dave

Back