Fundamentalist Faith is Intolerance

wesmorris

Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N
Valued Senior Member
From a conversation with Jenyar in another thread, I just stumbled across that thought. Perhaps it's obvious.

Once you assume your faith to be correct above all others (which is basically what I think of as "fundamentalist") you inherently exclude all other views. As such, they are offensive... an attack on your faith. With that in mind, how can there be tolerance? How can you consider the perspective of a non-believer, or remotely consider their thoughts/actions valid if you've already assumed they are NOT?

This is a recipe for war and death.

Perhaps it's an evolutionary development to cull the herd?

Thoughts?

Other views aren't necessarily an 'attack' on your own view--they are simply views that are different. Those views become an attack when either you force them on others.

Tolerance isn't about agreement at all: it is about acceptance. I think fundamentalist Christianity has no room for tolerance, and rightly so; the fundamentalist version of the religion teachs that unbelievers go to hell. What kind of person, thinking that this is true, would 'tolerate' a dissenter's views? It's simply cruel; it's like knowing that a soldier is going to step on a landmine in his current path, and 'tolerating' his action, thereby not doing anything about it.

Well yes to me its fairly obvious, but things like this cannot be said enough.

People have to be called out. They have to take their idealogies and follow them to a logical end.

ERK described how it is thinly veiled. To the fundamentalist, they have no choice to try and convert. Of course, this is in actuality intolerance and a hostile position to uphold.

(Endless nameless?)

Wesmorris said:
Once you assume your faith to be correct above all others (which is basically what I think of as "fundamentalist") you inherently exclude all other views.

In terms of religious faith, I tend to agree; redemptive religion especially locks factual inconsistency and inaccuracy into place at the stake of something asserted to be more valuable than anything the world has to offer--e.g. the soul.

But what about faith in the face of abstraction? Even the atheist hits a faith point in their belief structure, and where the atheist gets credit over the religious is the theoretic open mind that comes with breaking the shackles of theistic fear.

But that condition aside, as it reaches into a common human aspect, there is a non-theistic faith that brings similar fundamentalism. Political parties, baseball fans, sexual mores: all of these things and more stand on faith. The case of baseball fans is generally benign unless the Yankees are in town and some p.o.s. New Yorker is spilling beer all over children and teaching them new obscenities, or unless you're in Chicago where the league has previously insisted that a pro baseball player in the midst of being assaulted by fans has no right to defend himself. Generally speaking, though, Dodger fans are free to be blueblooded, and attendance in Minnesota and Montreal speak to the importance of "victory" in the houses of the holy.

But politics? In politics, it is "hateful" to point out a political assertion's factual inaccuracy. In politics, it is disingenuous to report what the newspapers say. Case in point: the current presidential election (or the 2002 Congressional elections; or the 2000 presidential primary).

Bush v. Kerry: The Swift Boat advertisement continues to get attention, something that seems the fault of the media; in the meantime, an ad making statements contrary to the factual record is prepared to do something that has always been called hateful--to call the entire armed service and the integrity of its members into question in order to establish a cheap political point. That the ad has been factually debunked (the "missing medal") has had little effect; SBVT changed tactics to blasting Kerry's postwar testimony. It's an appeal to emotion, at best: What John Kerry said is what the VC tried to torture out of our men, what our men honorably resisted confessing to under duress. It sounds terrible, but history has vindicated John Kerry insofar as we do know that such atrocities as he described did in fact occur in the Vietnam War. So what these vets seem to be upset about is that it was a betrayal of honor to tell the truth.

And yet "the people" respond affirmatively to such hatred; Kerry's numbers have plummeted among veterans; do those veterans share the assertion that truth is a betrayal of honor?

Moore v. Bush: The GOP has called Michael Moore everything from hateful to disingenuous. This perspective generally overlooks the fact that Moore hammers away at the Democrats furiously. Rather, the appearance of hatred comes from the fact that the GOP appears responsible for the story at the center of controversy. Furthermore, the GOP in its fundamentalism has circled the wagons and rails after Moore in a manner not reflective of other parts of the political society. Presently we have journalists standing off the courts in protection of sources about Wen Ho Lee that were apparently damagingly erroneous. Robert Novak is still holding out his source in relation to the Plame blow. Yet in the Moore controversy, Bill O'Reilly has gone on to state that the 9/11 commission report vindicates Bush, and has even gone on to say that the mysterious "phantom flights" of bin Ladens and others didn't happen. So my question is why everybody's mad at Moore, and nobody's going after Kathy Steele for her October 5, 2001 story. Why are Grossi and Perez, the sources for Steele's story, not being paraded through the public arena as liars? Because it's easier to attack Moore? It's almost a religious cause that asserts a simple truth while ignoring a more complex reality.

In the meantime, a nation that spent forty-million dollars on a blowjob factionalizes over second-tier arguments while ignoring the possible resolutions presenting themselves. It seems downright religious to continue arguing about how best to get out of the rain when the sun is clearly shining from a sky that is clearly cloudless.

And when we stop and think about how these seemingly-stupid political arguments can affect how many people it's hard to not see an adoption of faith that borders on the fundamentalist regardless of whether the truth asserted is spiritual/religious or not. It sounds relatively benign to hear the political assertion that the Bush administration did not plan for the occupation phase in Iraq, but when we consider the toll that failure has exacted--that. at least, is the magnitude of effect at stake in the non-religious fundamentalism of political argument in twenty-first century America.

To me the argument is clear: If you botch your job so badly, you're generally fired. Now, this speaks nothing of whether the opponent is the best man for the job; that in and of itself is the result of a non-religious faith structure guiding our political elections. (Consider the 2000 election: Bush v. McCain? Gore v. Bradley? Bush v. Gore? Yes, this is the best the people could come up with. That they chose Bush over McCain is testament enough to the power of the political faith structure.)

In 2000, Bush supporters dared attack McCain's service record, having tacit approval, at least, from the candidate. In 2002, the GOP called Max Cleeland soft on defense, depicted him alongside international villains in attack ads. It's a more complex argument to explain how a man who left three limbs behind in a war might vote against the going defense trend in a time of crisis; it's more complex to explain the way people in Cleeland's position vote on issues. This sense of ignorance is what the campaigns relied on, and it's what the GOP is relying on in the present cycle. Natural apathy is what the folks in charge of the GOP's political campaigns depend on.

Now, nobody's saying the Democrats are linen-white. Far from it. But there is a difference beyond the mere superficial between not understanding the Fourteenth Amendment in all its implications--a common condition in the U.S.--and seeking to obliterate equal protection. There is a difference between Kerry saying he would have invaded Iraq, anyway, and saying Kerry would have done exactly what Bush did in order to build the argument that Kerry has nothing different to offer.

People treat such arguments as fact because of their faith in informational authority. And in politics, that faith is closely-guarded and oft-expressed. The implications are huge. It's one thing to ask the people who have been hurt by our American adventures, another entirely to consider the folks we can't ask because they're dead.

The larger point being that, while I agree with the topic point noted at the outset, I would extend it well beyond a "merely" religious aspect.

How can you consider the perspective of a non-believer, or remotely consider their thoughts/actions valid if you've already assumed they are NOT?

In the case of a fundamentalist, it's an excellent question. But what about certain ideas that ... well, for instance:

• I cannot prove outright that having sex with a child is bad. I can line up all sorts of reasons, but it is only as a result of this society's priorities that those described effects would be quantified as "bad". In the meantime, if anything makes me fundamentalist at all, one thing that will not be on the list is my insistence that a pedophile is not teaching a positive love to a child in having sex with a six year-old, and neither am I going to willingly allow my child to be a test subject; nor am I going to acquire someone else's child in order to test the assertion.

It's a point of faith. Now, generally considering myself "not" fundamentalist, one of the aspects of my outlook that is difficult to explain is the breadth of any one idea. For instance, I would, on the one hand, assert that the bullet-point of faith above is correct, and is superior to all others, but what constitutes "all others"? You don't have to recite it point for point, word for word. There are certain aspects which I have yet to encounter an argument against that I will accept; there are certain justifications for my position that others might offer that I cannot accept for their broader implications.

To the other, while I generally don't consider myself fundamentalist, I'm aware that aspects of my liberalism are damn near. And it's nothing spectacular, but rather a mundane point that my archconservative neighbors can espouse, as well--empowerment and security. Unlike most of my conservative neighbors, I have a thick Sisyphan streak running through me according to Camusite considerations. I see my conservative neighbors as seeking to empower Sisyphus to continue to be happy pushing the rock up the hill, whereas I would encourage the abandoning of the rock despite the gods. And that's all the difference in the world to me. So I insist on it: break but never bend, at least on certain issues.

In the end, I don't think the abstract principle is an evolutionary development to cull the herd, but rather a vestigial evolutionary method to preserve the herd. Being useless, the vestige asserts itself innovatively; we must purge ourselves of this aspect, just as the vegetarian might assert humanity can survive without animal products, or the mystic seeks to either control or extinguish entirely the inner self.

Bearing in mind the length of what is already in this post, I shall hold off on explaining that last for the time being; it may prove unimportant, anyway.

Last edited:
My point was: yes, it may be intolerance, but it isn't necessarily hostility. Like I said, from their point of view, hostility would be to not try and convert you.

TheERK said:
My point was: yes, it may be intolerance, but it isn't necessarily hostility. Like I said, from their point of view, hostility would be to not try and convert you.

Well, from their point of view hostitility would be anything promoted that directly contradicts their point of view. I suppose in this extreme case that could be inclusive of failing to attempt to convert. Obviously though, as many people have equally powerful and opposing convictions, or even mere convictions not to be fundamentalist, they are directly offensive and hostile in the eyes of the fundamentalists, setting up the recipe for war and death.

wesmorris said:
From a conversation with Jenyar in another thread, I just stumbled across that thought. Perhaps it's obvious.

Once you assume your faith to be correct above all others (which is basically what I think of as "fundamentalist") you inherently exclude all other views. As such, they are offensive... an attack on your faith. With that in mind, how can there be tolerance? How can you consider the perspective of a non-believer, or remotely consider their thoughts/actions valid if you've already assumed they are NOT?

Thoughts?

Wes:

Can we include Atheism in this theory?

Dave

wesmorris said:

Thoughts?

I have been following several threads where Jenyar has been replying to numerous posts by one of our muslim posters with interest. It is a prime example of this, it's the "trinity" thread. There is very little common ground there and very little attempt to pay attention to what is being said. Despite the claims that "we believe in the same god" it is all about trying to disprove the other guy, we all do it to some degree that is what the forum is for, but I notice how much greater importance it takes when your life and faith hangs in the balance. Also lots of plagerizing from answering christianity going on :D I wonder how much is actually just insecurity manifesting itself. I mean if they are actually worshipping the same deity why isn't that enough.
I agree with Tiassa and dave on this to a degree too we all have our constructs for living what we believe to be the best life. I myself however am exempt from all this foolishness however as I am an agnostic ;) I know there is something more than we see I just have a faint friggin idea what exactly it is, though I know what it isn't.

Last edited:
davewhite04 said:
Wes:

Can we include Atheism in this theory?

Dave

I haven't heard much about fundamentalist atheists, but if they're around... why not?

They don't really have an organization though (at least I'm not aware of any), to rally them into a frenzy and cite the destruction of the un-unbelievers. Individuals may think that way, but a crazy individual is not nearly as effective as say, the taliban or christian identity movement (which is somewhat inneffective in comparison I'd guess because because they're a bunch of broke inbreds).

Fundamentalism

A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
Adherence to the theology of this movement.

Fanatic

A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.

NO: Dave you cant as atheism, is not a religion.
but I surpose you could call some atheist fanatics, but atheism is not a cause either.
atheism is just that, the lack of theism, so cant be labeled.
so I'd say, you have you work cut out.

the preacher said:
NO: Dave you cant as atheism, is not a religion.
but I surpose you could call some atheist fanatics, but atheism is not a cause either.
atheism is just that, the lack of theism, so cant be labeled.
so I'd say, you have you work cut out.

Hello Preacher,

Well if you want to play the war of the words game then that's fine, but Wes seemed to agree with me which was refreshing.

Defining an Atheist is messy business as we have weak and strong flavours. The strong flavour I was more interested in.

Whether you accept it or not, strong atheism requires faith.

Dave

Yeah it is a tough semantical deal, as if someone were a "fanatical atheist" it would be a misnomer, as you can't really be that I don't think. When you start to form a belief system in which it is compulsory that everyone you encounter convert to your belief.. you've moved away from athiesm into some kind of cult?

That's messed up too a smidge because logically god is irrelevant. IMO, that's an established fact... which makes my belief cultish if the same rules are applied. I suppose though, I don't demand or expect that others respect logic... so maybe that's the out. I think it's still fair to give someone a heap of shit as long as you don't decide to brutalize them if they don't come around to your perspective.

I agree that strong athiesm requires faith, but further I think that any coherent perspective is based on faith. IMO, accepting logic and reason is an act of faith and I think they are necessary for a coherent perspective. As I often argue, sure it's all a leap of faith, but "faith in reason" is a leap of zero distance... and when you're talking about faith in things like that, minimizing the distance of the jump is important, or it becomes necessary to start rejecting stimulous as invalid (because along with your faith comes expectation), which leads to neurosis, etc. Badness ensues.

Given the two definitions of faith someone posted the other day though, I could say that logic and reason are demonstrably effective and as such non-circular.

Last edited:
wesmorris, a fundamentalist Christian is someone who has restricted their faith to the bare basics, in constrast to most Christians. Simply believing your faith is correct, and only correct, does not make you a fundamentalist; most Christians believe their believes are correct. Why else would they believe?

Hostility to another's beliefs is formed only by a perceived threat. Because fundamentalism was formed in reaction to modernism, fundamentalists perceive modern society's tendency to reject moral behavior a threat. Not altogether wrong if the threat is real, and it is.

Intolerance, however, is formed by prejudice, leading some fundamentalists to perceive everyone who believes differently as a threat. Not ignorance, the root cause of prejudice is a desire to be hateful or to be jealous. If someone only lacked knowledge, they would educate themselves on other cultures, and other religions.

Because intolerance is formed by both hatred and jealousy, someone's beliefs have very little to do with whether they become intolerant. In fact, if someone beliefs, like most religions, teaches proper virtues then they should be an impediment to intolerance. Hence, it's possible that atheists, too, may be intolerant. Was Stalin intolerant?

TheERK said:

By my equal rights I assert they have NO right to pursue me with their dillusions.

path said:
I know there is something more than we see I just have a faint friggin idea what exactly it is, though I know what it isn't.

Good position. I would go even further and state that whatever it is it isn't spiratual or some creator. It is a natural consequence of physics and happenstance.

In due time science will discover more and greater understanding will be achieved but only if we do not allow the fundlementalists to squelch scientific thought.

there no war on words it's quite clear.

yes Dave: but it is'nt blind faith, take a look at the thread faith defined, and read some of the posts.

if your weak, your an agnostic, and will say, I do not believe God exists.
if your strong, your an atheist, and will say, God does not exist.
but thats as strong as it gets.

Joseph Stalin whilst he was learning about marxism and socialism he was attending Tiflis Theological Seminary, on scholarship, his mother was deeply religious, and she got him a place there, that is how he was brought up and where he got his intolerances.
and a man who idolises stalin and has no tolerance is saddam hussain.
and did torquemada have an tolerence.
the question was fundamentist faith, but atheist cant be fundamentlist.
so the question, only pertains to religion, does it not.

okinrus said:
wesmorris, a fundamentalist Christian is someone who has restricted their faith to the bare basics, in constrast to most Christians. Simply believing your faith is correct, and only correct, does not make you a fundamentalist; most Christians believe their believes are correct. Why else would they believe?

In my experience most believe because they learned to believe, basically because they are brainwashed their entire lives. Everyone they care about deeply has told them what they come to knows as truth, so they believe it. In a way that's beautiful and extremely honest. It's indicative of the strength of the relationships we have with the important people in our lives. I really do repect that for the intensity and reality of the emotions involved... but that doesn't mean it's rational.

Generally discussion of a belief lends to an investigation of its inception and justification for its continuation. If I can demonstrate the irrational nature of their belief, they still continue to belief (almost always), so they believe what they do generally on the basis of emotional attachment to that belief. That they feel that it is true is a symptom, not a cause.

Hostility to another's beliefs is formed only by a perceived threat.

Sure, and if I know how you're supposed to behave because of my beliefs and you don't behave that way, that is easily construed as a threat.

Because fundamentalism was formed in reaction to modernism, fundamentalists perceive modern society's tendency to reject moral behavior a threat.

How it formed is irrelevant. Do you notice that you projected your shit onto that? What is "moral behavior"? By putting that as you did, you reveal your own fundamentalism. You think "moral behavior" is as your clan prescribes.

Not altogether wrong if the threat is real, and it is.

It certainly is to the fundamentalist.

Intolerance, however, is formed by prejudice, leading some fundamentalists to perceive everyone who believes differently as a threat.

I'd say all fundamentalists must be intolerant, because fundamentalism is exactly prejudice, like for instance declaring that modern society rejects moral behavior. That's impossible. It's that their morals aren't the same as yours.

Not ignorance, the root cause of prejudice is a desire to be hateful or to be jealous.

Bullshit. The root cause of prejudice is strong emotional attachment to the premise of that judgement. The kind that doesn't give a shit about rationals discourse. That LEADS to hatefullness and jealousy. Also a lot of the time people are just mean, jealous bitches who are going to be that way no matter what they believe due to the chemical mixer sloshing around in their heads.

If someone only lacked knowledge, they would educate themselves on other cultures, and other religions.

What would motivate them to do such a thing?

Because intolerance is formed by both hatred and jealousy, someone's beliefs have very little to do with whether they become intolerant.
That's just silly. If I believe you shouldn't be talking to me, I won't tolerate it. If I believe allah wants me to have virgins, I won't tolerate living. On and on.

In fact, if someone beliefs, like most religions, teaches proper virtues then they should be an impediment to intolerance.

Okay uhm... you're doing it again. You get to say what is proper? Oh, I mean your religion? Okay, "respectable religions"? What is proper has to be discussed. Oh and you JUST SAID that someone's beliefs has little to do with their level of tolerance, so why then should teaching proper virtues help out? You're teaching them what to believe if virtuous... no?

Hence, it's possible that atheists, too, may be intolerant. Was Stalin intolerant?

Anyone can be intolerant. The topic is "fundamentalist faith is intolerance". Bring me evidence of fundamentalist strong aitheists and I'll agree given the provisions in my post above.

the preacher said:
if your weak, your an agnostic, and will say, I do not believe God exists.if your strong, your an atheist, and will say, God does not exist. but thats as strong as it gets.

I would only change this to note.

I do not believe in any God or Gods, etc. However, I am realist enough to admit that as of today I cannot "Prove" it, at least to the satisfaction of what would be called "proof" to everybody in the world.

Does failure to prove he does not exist mean he does. Most certainly not and vice-versa. However, the burden of proving his existance is far greater in that the claims about him and purpose??????

Science proves substantial "Evidence", not proof, that he does not. No such evidence exists for the proof he does.

Back