Do human's have free will?

• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
IMO

We have free will and fate

imagine a map (I've said this before) lots of roads on map leading to various destinations. Finite number of roads, finite number of destinations.

This map represents fate, free will represents 'choice' of which road to take.

Thus finite number of choices only, but we decide what choice we make.
Thus free will is restricted if you like, but then everything in life is.

Baron Max:

I think, for the most part, and for the great majority, the two groups ARE mutually exclusive.

Yeah. That's what I said you thought.

A couple of isolated examples ain't never proved nothin', James, and never will.

Right. And so...?

Prince_James:

It is a given that regardless of whether we have free wills or determined wills the world will remain as it is, yes? So why then think we must get rid of moral responsibility? For if we are determined, the world is no less than what it is, and moral responsibility is an intimate part of society and ethics.

I'm not sure why you think I want to get rid of moral responsibility. I haven't said that.

James R.:

You misunderstood my post. I was noting that your objection to Determinism is based on a wrong concept of moral responsibility. That is to say, a Deterministic world would be no different than a world of free-will, if we assume nothing would change in our world no matter which is true. That is, that moral responsibility would not vanish because people couldn't "change".

Oh, yeah, I agree. But the difference is, while the psycho-babbilists were still babbling happily, the realist took what they needed and build the society, made the laws, designed the governments and the law enforcements, created the legal courts and judges and attorneys, built the schools, trained the teachers, built the housing for the citizens, brought in the necessary utilities and food supplies, ..............and left the psycho-babbilists in the little rooms, still hard at the arguments, with no resolution whatsoever.
Thanks for the proof that you are not a realist. Neither are the losers you are talking about.

Back