Folk tales

Well, these are not really folk tales, folk tales don't have known authors.
At least that's the definition over here.
Folk tales have been told by people over centuries, there are usually many versions of one tale.
So Wizard of Oz or Winnie the Pooh don't count as folk tales at all.

• Col. David Crockett died in the battle of the Alamo.
  • John Luther "Casey" Jones is the world's most famous railroad engineer, dying with his hand on the brake of his locomotive, having saved the life of every passenger on his train in a foggy crash in 1900.
  • Hiawatha was apparently a real Iroquois politician, but the legend may be an amalgamation of two or three historical figures, one of whom predates the European occupation by several centuries....

• I know they were real people, but we have made stories and made them into folk heroes. Did Davey really kill a bear when he was only 3??

So Casey didn't have a last name?

Well, these are not really folk tales, folk tales don't have known authors.
At least that's the definition over here.
Folk tales have been told by people over centuries, there are usually many versions of one tale.
So Wizard of Oz or Winnie the Pooh don't count as folk tales at all.

Would you consider Alice in Wonderland a folk tale, despite it being modern, even though there are many variations of the story throughout quite a few cultures?

My favorite Alice in Wonderland world is from the video game American McGee's Alice, and my favorite movie version is Jan Svankmajer's Alice.

- N

i believe all this stuff can be traced back to india
who here wants trace?
eh?
who, i say?

/cackle

well
hop to it :)

while a case could probably be made, i remember being mystified as to why, it is so

of course, one would have to account for the americas and africa
its freudian rather than cultural. the human condition produces this stuff.

india

I have a deep love for Irish lore and storytelling. Being Irish, they've always held a special place in my mind.

Back