First Atheists in Europe?

Ronan is once again completely perverting words in order to try and claim that atheists are actually theists. Pure idiocy.

People on here do not have the wit to understand the subtlety of Ronan's arguments.

I believe him when he tells me he can stand in a bucket, grasp the handle and lift himself waist high, The whole thing rests on not being able to prove that the bucket is unconscious because we cannot experience unconsciousness, only consciousness, which always existed and chooses to manifest itself through matter, not that matter, per se can be regarded as truly conscious of the process of manifestation inherent in the act of pure consciousness manifesting through media which are, in and of themselves, unconscious until such manifestatiions occur.

It follows that the bucket mentioned above is in no sense a bucket just because one decides to call it a bucket. In German it's called Eimer and in French sceau, which neatly illustrates the point that names are contingent properties. Thus we are talking about the nameless, essential bucket beyond our understanding.

For a more detailed exposition see " When is Something Something Else ,and the Essence of Selfness ? by R. U. A. Wake, Backward Publications.

So who were they? And when exactly was Atheism de-criminalized?

Discounting the Greeks for a moment, the figures who created the basis of western science in Europe like Newton, Galileo, Pascal, Copernicus and Kepler were all theists.

Newton in fact wrote more about scripture than mathematics.

So, I'm guessing maybe the french writer Voltaire, with his 'Philosophical Dictionary' may have been the first major player to seriously question religion.

Surprise me!:eek:
Actually, Christians were considered some of the first Atheists in Europe owing to the fact that they denied the existence of a plethora of other Gods and asserted there was only one.

http://www.philipharland.com/Blog/2007/11/09/breaking-news-early-christians-were-impious-atheists/

~Raithere

Ronan is once again completely perverting words in order to try and claim that atheists are actually theists. Pure idiocy.

Idiocy I don't think so, just a food for thought for people who believe in something and say that it is not god because they do not want to be assigned the status of believers.

For an extraterrestrial civilization with different believes and who believe themselves to be atheist will consider any humans who believe in something different than them as theist

of course, there is probably some real atheist but my claim is that most so called atheist are theist because they believe in a reality behind their perception.

Idiocy I don't think so

I knew a guy that thought a kettle wasn't a kettle. Let it be said that it was indeed a kettle.

just a food for thought for people who believe in something and say that it is not god because they do not want to be assigned the status of believers.

Look, frankly this nonsense has gone far enough. Here's some food for thought.. All those atheists that believe in "reality" actually just mean what the other guy says is god - hence every atheist is a theist. However, having said that, every theist that believes in 'god' actually just means what I say is "banana", hence every theist and atheist in fact are neither, they just believe in bananas.

You're a banana.

For an extraterrestrial civilization with different believes and who believe themselves to be atheist will consider any humans who believe in something different than them as theist

Ah but then you stumble upon an alien civilisation who believe you're an idiot, hence you're an idiot.

Look, frankly this nonsense has gone far enough. Here's some food for thought.. All those atheists that believe in "reality" actually just mean what the other guy says is god - hence every atheist is a theist. However, having said that, every theist that believes in 'god' actually just means what I say is "banana", hence every theist and atheist in fact are neither, they just believe in bananas.
First I would not say every atheist because some do not believe in a reality behind their perceptions
Second banana is a perception, thus it is not the reality behind the perceptions that I am talking about!

The point is that many atheist believe in a reality that exist behind our perceptions that science is said to be grasping little by little.
And that this atheist are in fact believer in an entity (namely this hidden reality) that can be considered by an alien civilization as a kind of god.

The idea using alien is to show that because there is no objective basis of a definition of god, any entity that transcend perception can be considered as god by someone who believe he is not believing in any god and disagree with other believers.

You're a banana.
It does not change the weight of my sayings :)

Ah but then you stumble upon an alien civilisation who believe you're an idiot, hence you're an idiot.
You did not get the point.
the alien are the one here to be the idiots like other atheist who believe that other are theist while themselves are!

Back