feminist views and domestic violence

jopoblo said:
I think you're right, Wilmet. An interesting feminist philosophical point of view is that Trust will bridge the gap between men's and women's ways of ethical thinking. And mutual respect is the key to trust, no?

Hi jopoblo,

Not sure that it's a feminist point of view... I think mutual respect bridges the gap between people in general, whether it be men and women, adults and children, etc...

I think many people who have posted here misunderstand feminism, at least the cultural kind. The idea is not necessarily to eradicate masculinity, but to enable women to assert their skills in the areas in which they believe they can contribute, as in being more sensitive than men to differences in individual situations and to the need to support relationships.

Well, I don't have the time to research the historical definitions of feminism and present them to you. But I can offer you my own ideas, based on my recent readings. These are the things I like about "feminist" perspectives, anyway. Perhaps the exact definition of the word matters less than how it is used.

I just finished two books on women in Indian cultures. Their role, which they enjoyed and, in fact, resisted changing, even during the eighteenth and early nineteenth century when European settlers crowded them out of their vast territories, was to carry on the family heritage, to provide agricultural services for their tribe and their families, to direct actions of justice via exacting retaliation for any murder of a family member, and to generally support their culture and tribal community. I think their "natural" role shows what women are capable of. I mean, they can have a pretty powerful sway if we allow them, and they could employ their feminine instincts--excuse the cliche term; it's not intended in that way--so that they help to sustain and hold together the community. Their knack for "other-thinking" or selfless-thinking can not only lead to a compassionate attitude and respect toward individuals, but a support of the larger members of the groups to which they belong as well (be they family, work, military, political, etc.). I think that is the gist of it.

Back