Fantasy gods.

Cris

In search of Immortality
Valued Senior Member
Can anyone credibly show that the concept of a god is anything more than a human imaginative fantasy?

If not then aren’t we realistically justified in concluding that such concepts are indeed nothing more than human fantasies?

Even though there are thousands of books written about gods aren't they all based on nothing more than an imaginative concept?

Are there logic flaws in this?

Suppose that God does not exist. Then for all time and place in and out of this universe the non-existance of God has existed. Call the non-existance of God attribute Nilo. Therefore Nilo could not be created but has always existed. Nilo also has a special will and purpose. He fullfills the "There is not a God". However this Nilo is all powerful and his word is all powerful. Thus Nilo is a God contradicting there not being a God.

So there logically is a God but he might not share too much in common with us. He may not even be alive biologically as Nilo shows.

What a silly question.
There is clearly plain objective proof for the existence of Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos.

However what more can her decendants want? Awaken to the sound of your lover or the sound of trumpets.

"Who is this comming up from the desert, leaning upon her lover?
Under the apple tree I awakened you; it was there your mother conceived you, it was there that your parent conceieved. Set me as a seal on your heart, as a seal on your arm; For stern as death is love, relentless as the nether world is devotion; its flames are a blazing fire. Deep waters cannot quence love, nor floods sweep it away. Were one to offer all he owns to purchase love, he would be roundly mocked."

Our God defines existance. How exactly are we to prove he exists? If God made fire come down to the earth each day then we would say it's nature, the sun in orbit.

Jung ... maybe ...

Can anyone credibly show that the concept of a god is anything more than a human imaginative fantasy?
I believe C.G. Jung could, but I'm just not up to the task.

Besides, at that point, God still isn't what the religious folk want.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Okinrus,

Suppose that God does not exist. Then for all time and place in and out of this universe the non-existance of God has existed.
Unless a god did exist at some time and doesn’t exist now.

Call the non-existence of God attribute Nilo.
Ah but there is no difference between a god not existing and anything else that does not exist, in terms of their comparative properties they are identical. This means that Nilo can also refer to everything that does not exist.

Therefore Nilo could not be created but has always existed.
OK I’ll accept that the state of something not existing has always existed.

Nilo also has a special will and purpose. He fullfills the "There is not a God".
And equally true is “everything that does not exist”.

However this Nilo is all powerful and his word is all powerful.
Unfortunately your logic fails you here. Since you are now attempting to assign further attributes to Nilo that you have not established. The only established property is “anything that does not exist”, and of course God is included in anything, since you are supposing that God does not exist (see opening statement).

Thus Nilo is a God contradicting there not being a God.
Sorry you missed a vital step in your syllogism.

But what we can conclude is that Nilo = “the non existence of God” = “everything that does not exist”. Not very remarkable.

So there logically is a God but he might not share too much in common with us. He may not even be alive biologically as Nilo shows.
LOL. 8 out of 10 for an attempt at imagination, but you failed miserably on the logic test.

I recommend you pay more attention to more experienced Christians since they are excellent at the imagination game. Unfortunately they can’t help you with your logic problems.

Okinrus,

Our God defines existance.
A very nice imaginative assertion that has of course zero value unless you can show it isn’t just imagination.

How exactly are we to prove he exists?
I don’t care; he is your fantasy, unless you can show otherwise.

If God made fire come down to the earth each day then we would say it's nature, the sun in orbit.
No, that would be superstition or just more speculative imagination. We could either admit we don’t know the cause or seek proof of the cause, i.e. use science perhaps.

And the last I heard science hasn’t discovered anything that might be construed as a god.

But tiassa,

You believe in a deity right? Won't you admit that this belief is entirely based on your particularly rich imagination? What else is there?

Yes and no

You believe in a deity right? Won't you admit that this belief is entirely based on your particularly rich imagination? What else is there?
I'm hardly typical. I maintain a deity as a focus for recognizing the larger ideas of God. Beyond that, I've never been able to summarize Jung coherently, but stop and think that "God" is as real as "The United States of America".

It's only because the people involved choose to accept that it is so.

That concept obviously works two ways at least in the present consideration.

Yes, the deities are products of imagination. But they hold immense sway and cause practical results.

Jung's Collective Unconsciousness ... despite its unfortunate title, this article has a summary of the Jungian concept I'm reaching for.

Of course, there's also a good dash of Douglas Adams thrown into my take on it.
All esoteric teachings seek to apprehend the unseen happenings in the psyche, and all claim supreme authority for themselves. What is true of primitive lore is true in even higher degree of the ruling world religions. They contain a revealed knowledge that was originally hidden, and they set forth the secrets of the soul in glorious images. (C. G. Jung)

Unless a god did exist at some time and doesn’t exist now.
Usually I think of God existing outside of time.

Ah but there is no difference between a god not existing and anything else that does not exist, in terms of their comparative properties they are identical. This means that Nilo can also refer to everything that does not exist.
Nilo is in the set of "everything that does not exist" however the comparative properties of the members are not necessary the same. For example unicorns are in the set of "everything that does not exist" but the properties of unicorns are completely different than Gods. I also didn't define where God exist. I guess I'm assuming that God's existance means that he interacts or relates to the universe in some way.

A vital proposition

What happens next is that the idea of God ceases to have consequence--e.g. judgment, redemption, punishment, will, compassion, &c.

A comparative point. An analogy of sorts:

- There is a viable argument that there is no true polytheism. We might look to the Greek and Roman pantheons in which many gods performed certain tasks and duties. Apollo could only do so much. Specific rites for Ceres did not work for Diana at Nemi. The argument against polytheism comes when you consider the idea of why the gods could only do so much, and required specific methods for communion. What is the force or authority that limits the actions of the many gods? This authority, which binds the gods of Greece or Rome or any other polytheistic society, is the source of the monotheistic idea. In Eastern cultures the idea seems to be already recognized; Basham notes Muller regarding henotheism, which manifested itself in India, apparently, as a tendency by the people to not get riled over theological switches; God was God was God, no matter what it was named this year or next. An element of this might actually be evident in the Ten Commandments; Thou shall have no other gods before me. The Lord, knowing the trials of the Jews past, present, and future, understood something that people don't necessarily grasp. It can be reasonably asserted that God, knowing the Hebrews would be subject to various authorities and the customary rituals thereof, simply sought to remind the Hebrews, "Whatever else happens, remember that God is God is God, and there is no two ways about it." Or, to approximate Marge Simpson, "Does that mean you're just going to pay lip-service at church?" Do what you have to in order to avoid the executioner's star, but remember that God is God is God.

- Likewise, comparatively, analogously ... we might look at Nilo-as-God, or, more entertainingly, God-Not-God. If, for instance, science is correct in presuming there to be a natural law to understand in the first place--e.g. so long as science isn't an incredibly coincidental stack of meaningless correlations--we might look to that theoretic law or set of laws describing natural behavior in the Universe and call that "God". We might also look to the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang occurred; the nature of the explosion determined the possible diversity of the elements and the energies. If one could represent mathematically the processes of the Big Bang which lead to the present reality, that equation could be said to be the Name of God. The prevailing order in the Universe--the seemingly undiscoverable mystery--is all that God is or ever was; everything else is a human-sponsored accretion, extra baggage picked up along the way.

You're closer than you think, Okinrus; I would dare suggest at this point that it's a matter of focus. You have the tools to defy the illusions of God and begin pursuit of the real deal. On the one hand, you'll be surprised at where the pure essences of the God idea cluster; to the other, it all looks different when there is no pretense of consequence to shadow your every thought.

The idea of God is merely a recognition of a knowledge that exists in potential, the knowledge that allows us to understand what humanity is and what it does in the Universe. Everything else people tell you about God ... nothing but a nest of illusions.

Imagine a hellish moment from human development: a slouching organism moving through the trees, primitive, unarmed, unarmored, generally instinctive. But imagine that, unlike other animals, it not only fears something, but for the first time in living history an organism is capable of thinking about the fact that it is afraid.

Feel the back of your skull, where the spinal cord meets the brain. There's a soft spot there in your skull, and you can be killed easily if struck there. But this seeming weakness is actually of huge value: it allows you to look up. Think about that, you lift your head, look at the sky, and what the hell are all those shiny things?!

Or a new reformulation of a few older ideas of mine:

- The creature sits atop the rock, afraid of the predator below.
- The creature sits atop the rock, afraid of the predator below, and distracted because it is thinking about the fact that it is afraid.
- The creature sits atop the rock in order to enjoy the warmth of the sun and think about the nature of the rock beneath it and the sky above it and whether or not these things are of any significance.

Humanity, abridged I admit, but presented in three separate phases.

But these moments are also part of the evolution of what would become the religious idea. I'll spare you the bit about fire gods.

P.S. for Cris: Why is it that it's always your topics that I muck up like this? Actually, there might be a reason. But I did want to apologize for putting another of your topics through this phase, which you've witnessed probably three times before at least. However, I also wanted to thank you. Yours are among the few topics that can progress to such a point as I can make this argument relevant.

The idea of God is merely a recognition of a knowledge that exists in potential, the knowledge that allows us to understand what humanity is and what it does in the Universe. Everything else people tell you about God ... nothing but a nest of illusions.
True. However God tells us about Him. Our only Teacher is God and he instructs us. Listen closely to his voice and try to find signs in your life. Also stop worrying about hell so much too. All religions basically say "Love your neighbor as yourself" so do this but also recieve the love from others. Doubt is an emotion caused by thinking about doubt.

Okinrus,

Nilo is in the set of "everything that does not exist" however the comparative properties of the members are not necessary the same.
The only defining property is that they do not exist. By that definition they have no choice but to be identical.

For example unicorns are in the set of "everything that does not exist" but the properties of unicorns are completely different than Gods.
Unicorns are only different to Gods if one or both existed. When neither exists then the only point of comparison is their non-existence, which makes them identical.

Focus ... I think that's all it is

However God tells us about Him. Our only Teacher is God and he instructs us. Listen closely to his voice and try to find signs in your life.
I'm pretty sure it's a simple matter of focus. Cut away this "soft" part of the imagery. Nature will fill the void, I promise.
Doubt is an emotion caused by thinking about doubt.
See? I'm telling you ... it's a simple matter of focus. You obviously understand enough that you don't need the soft-boiled imagery.

To the other, remember that doubt is a good thing almost as soon as things are differentiated enough that some can be good. Doubt is what saves humanity from extinction. Of course, it can get a good man killed as quick as the next. But I'm an essential monist, it seems, so one man's doubt is another man's instinct is another man's golden wisdom. Either way ....

Then again, when we stop and consider that it only took Christianity, Satanism, witchcraft, Qabalism, atheism, Aleister Crowley, a Democrat in the Oval Office, and finally Sufism to get me to this point ... well, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.

But that's also part of the point. If I ever tell you to relax, I know what I'm doing ... I'm lying to you at that moment.

Okinrus,

However God tells us about Him. Our only Teacher is God and he instructs us.
Not by any demonstrable mechanism. This again is indistinguishable to imagination.

Listen closely to his voice and try to find signs in your life.
This is like looking at clouds, if you look carefully enough your imagination will allow you to see recognizable shapes.

Also stop worrying about hell so much too.
I don’t since that appears to be also another imaginative realm.

All religions basically say "Love your neighbor as yourself" so do this but also receive the love from others.
But many do that anyway, we don’t religions to tell us this.

Not by any demonstrable mechanism. This again is indistinguishable to imagination.
Possible, but if you hear a voice say "trust me" from
no where you are left with two conclusions: either
your insane or there is something out there. Now
if your insane(very possible in my case) it certainly won't hurt to believe in God anyways.

This is like looking at clouds, if you look carefully enough your imagination will allow you to see recognizable shapes.
The clouds are the demons of Jewish lore that block the true light of God. Stop looking at them!

To the other, remember that doubt is a good thing almost as soon as things are differentiated enough that some can be good. Doubt is what saves humanity from extinction. Of course, it can get a good man killed as quick as the next. But I'm an essential monist, it seems, so one man's doubt is another man's instinct is another man's golden wisdom. Either way ....

Then again, when we stop and consider that it only took Christianity, Satanism, witchcraft, Qabalism, atheism, Aleister Crowley, a Democrat in the Oval Office, and finally Sufism to get me to this point ... well, it's entirely possible that I'm wrong.
There's no joy in doubt. Doubt of God leads to having two minds: one sinful and the other good. And then we have to ask why does doubt of God feel so terrible?

Well, because ....

And then we have to ask why does doubt of God feel so terrible?
I think the answer is simple: because one chooses to make the issue of doubting God so important.

It's a particularly defensive neurosis. Religious neuroses are harder to treat with psychotherapy than others.

Give up your dualisms. Your soul will feel better in the morning.

Back