FAITH...in god or born to believe in him

Lori:

And you think that this is all "just by chance" and from some chaotic mass of nothingness? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight

Naw. "just by chance" is common misunderstanding of the whole thing. The universe we see is uncreated. That is, it is one of an infinite series of cycles -always has been, always will be. No beginning. No end. And we (life) are implicit in the very laws of nature. It's not chance, it's emergent phenomena. Look that up. Random chance just offers up a buffet of possibilities for natural selection to work with. What survives is the set of features that best fit the environment. Us. Fish. Protozoa.

superluminal said:
Yes. Yes I am. I am also 43yrs old and married with three kids.

Oops! You meant am I warm! Oh. Nope. Temperature's just right!

???

You're hot too??? Damn...

Sounds as though you're blessed in many ways. ;)

Last edited:
superluminal said:
Naw. "just by chance" is common misunderstanding of the whole thing. The universe we see is uncreated. That is, it is one of an infinite series of cycles -always has been, always will be. No beginning. No end. And we (life) are implicit in the very laws of nature. It's not chance, it's emergent phenomena. Look that up. Random chance just offers up a buffet of possibilities for natural selection to work with. What survives is the set of features that best fit the environment. Us. Fish. Protozoa.

You said "protozoa".

Ok, so emergent phenomena is part of the science behind how God creates us, fish, and protozoa. It just proves how complex, contingent, fragile, and valuable our lives are. If God is what He says He is, then what seems like random chance from our perspective, would not be from His. God designed the laws of nature, and God is eternal. It jives. Science is the how, and God is the why. I think that it's amazing what He's created so far from this buffet of possibilities. The more science tells us about how intricate and delicately balanced life is, the more intelligence I perceive to be behind the design.

Last edited:
superluminal said:
No it dosen't. There is a way to ground this in every day experiential reality. It's called science. We all make scientific judgements every day. Even water.

Hahahha. "Even water", he says. Ouch.

You do know that you have pissed her off very badly, don't you? :D

(Hopefully) no one will go as far as to say we operate our lives solely on scientific judgements. It is therefore questionable as to why these 'lapses in judgement' should be validated scientifically.

I mean, like it or not, science doesn't answer very many fundamental questions in religion, morality, philosophy. Tolstoy said it well:

And I understood that those sciences are very interesting and attractive, but that they are exact and clear in inverse proportion to their applicability to the question of life: the less their applicability to the question of life, the more exact and clear they are, while the more they try to reply to the question of life, the more obscure and unattractive they become.

I am quote sure this is not the first time I am telling you that human beings do not operate solely on reason, but maybe not.
In either case, even rationalists can agree that science does not busy itself with questions of "What is God" or "What are good and evil" or "What is my purpose in life" etc etc.

Recall your definition of 'natural'. I admit without dispute that, by given definition, natural things belong to the realm of science. But we are not talking about science here. Do you remember that my telling you that words used popularly on this forum, such as faith, God, good, evil etc etc are all loaded terms? Science cannot provide disambiguation for us. By the very definition you gave me yourself, you have no reason to even bring science into this conversation since (for example) science cannot tell us if ascetism is "more reasonable" than hedonism.

This is why I wanted you to provide a definition. Failing to stick to your definition during discussion will necessarily indicate your being irrational.

Now that we have hopefully moved past the assumption that science can help us find answers to questions which are in no way scientific, we can move on to the topic proper.

You can philosophize all day about "truth" and "reason" but ultimately, if you can't show any real phenomena based on your claims, you might as well be discussing the effectiveness of garlic in repelling vampires. Religion has zero effect on reality, except in how it alters peoples behavior, just like any other psychosis.

There you go again with your strawmen. Didn't I just tell you about science? I mean, jeez, stick to your own definition.
Your definition tells us that science indeed can measure the effectiveness of garlic in repelling vampires (though it necessarily precludes the ability of science to ascertain the existence of vampires themselves).

As for whether religion has any effect on reality, I'm not sure what you mean by that (or the bits on prayer, believers in prinson, etc) or if you're even addressing me since I never even said anything of the sort to begin with.

But the bit about truth being consensual reality is pretty interesting.

I know you are going to squirm out of definition, but the logical implication of what you are saying is that since most people are theists, there is truth to theism. You can go back on what you've said and change your words but the corollary remains, plain as day.

If you say most people don't determine truth then you are flat out contradicting your own definition of truth.

Being such a nice person ;) , I expect you did not mean to make such a mistake. In which case I will ask you to clarify what you mean by 'consensus'. Do you take that to mean every single person's agreement? If you take that to mean "most people's agreement", how do we know when most people agree on something and secondly, why should the consensus of 'most people' determine what truth is?

(Besides, the red hat thing doesn't work well as an example because of qualia.. but that's an interesting philosophical, but non religious, topic.)

You do know that you have pissed her off very badly, don't you?
Oh well.

(Hopefully) no one will go as far as to say we operate our lives solely on scientific judgements. It is therefore questionable as to why these 'lapses in judgement' should be validated scientifically.
Of course not. Without "Gut" reactions, i.e. instinct and intuition, we couldn't function.

I mean, like it or not, science doesn't answer very many fundamental questions in religion, morality, philosophy.
I beg to differ.

Religion: Proposition - There is an actual god(s) (not a psychological construct)with the following attributes... Bla, bla, bla... Do some tests and measurements... Nope. Postulate unsupported. Toss postulate.

Morality: Proposition - Morality stems from evolutionary roots and is part of many other species. Do some comparitive studies on other species, pose moral "tests" of other species (been done). Observe moral development across species... Likely. Postulate likely. Keep studying.

Category error. Bzzzz.
Philosophy is a general method of thinking, not in the same category as religion and morality. You HAVE a religious philosophy or you HAVE a moral philosophy.

Tolstoy said it well:
And I understood that those sciences are very interesting and attractive, but that they are exact and clear in inverse proportion to their applicability to the question of life: the less their applicability to the question of life, the more exact and clear they are, while the more they try to reply to the question of life, the more obscure and unattractive they become.

The question of life. That's pretty damn vague. Science is not about subjctive phenomena - "I love chocolate" - and will never have anything to say about the specific interactions of people. But it can tell us in general why we do what we do, where we came from, and where we may be headed, if we don't modify certain behaviors.

I am quite sure this is not the first time I am telling you that human beings do not operate solely on reason, but maybe not.
Of course they don't. Most behavior is based on intuition and emotion, and usually works just fine. What's the problem with that?

In either case, even rationalists can agree that science does not busy itself with questions of "What is God" or "What are good and evil" or "What is my purpose in life" etc etc.
"What is god": Of course not. Science already tosses the god postulate as being superfluous. Therefore questions about "it" are meaningless.

"What are good and evil" : Yes it does. Morality is a valid field of evolutionary biology and behaviorism.

"What is my purpose in life": Again, purely subjective. Science has no say. I agree.

Recall your definition of 'natural'. I admit without dispute that, by given definition, natural things belong to the realm of science. But we are not talking about science here. Do you remember that my telling you that words used popularly on this forum, such as faith, God, good, evil etc etc are all loaded terms? Science cannot provide disambiguation for us.
We are always talking about science. I have already shown you how science disambiguates:

faith - Acceptance without proof. Useless in ascertaining the objective truth of a subject.
God - Proposition superfluous
good, evil - Biological propensities

By the very definition you gave me yourself, you have no reason to even bring science into this conversation since (for example) science cannot tell us if ascetism is "more reasonable" than hedonism.
Of course not as these are purely subjective choices made for subjective reasons. Which conversation are we talking about? Science has nothing to say about the subjective choice to believe in a god. Science has everything to say about claims of the objective existence of god.

This is why I wanted you to provide a definition. Failing to stick to your definition during discussion will necessarily indicate your being irrational.
Which definitions? The natural vs supernatural thing?

Now that we have hopefully moved past the assumption that science can help us find answers to questions which are in no way scientific, we can move on to the topic proper.
Alrightey then.

“ You can philosophize all day about "truth" and "reason" but ultimately, if you can't show any real phenomena based on your claims, you might as well be discussing the effectiveness of garlic in repelling vampires. Religion has zero effect on reality, except in how it alters peoples behavior, just like any other psychosis. ”

There you go again with your strawmen. Didn't I just tell you about science? I mean, jeez, stick to your own definition.
Ok.

I think you need to look up what a strawman argument is. The above is an analogy comparing the objective reality of god(s) and vampires.

Your definition tells us that science indeed can measure the effectiveness of garlic in repelling vampires (though it necessarily precludes the ability of science to ascertain the existence of vampires themselves).
Duh. It was an analogy, not an argument.

As for whether religion has any effect on reality, I'm not sure what you mean by that (or the bits on prayer, believers in prinson, etc) or if you're even addressing me since I never even said anything of the sort to begin with.
This confuses me also. I thought it was fairly clear. Whatever.

But the bit about truth being consensual reality is pretty interesting.

I know you are going to squirm out of definition, but the logical implication of what you are saying is that since most people are theists, there is truth to theism. You can go back on what you've said and change your words but the corollary remains, plain as day.

If you say most people don't determine truth then you are flat out contradicting your own definition of truth.

Being such a nice person , I expect you did not mean to make such a mistake. In which case I will ask you to clarify what you mean by 'consensus'. Do you take that to mean every single person's agreement? If you take that to mean "most people's agreement", how do we know when most people agree on something and secondly, why should the consensus of 'most people' determine what truth is?
Who said I was nice?

Anyway, squirm I will. Consensual reality as I am using it (and I'm sure is commonly understood) refers to the objective, observable universe, not ideas. Ignoring your upcoming qualia comments (philosophical clap-trap) my red hat is real insofar as we both can see it, touch it, smell it, put it under a spectroscope to determine that the reflected wavelength is indeed 750nm which we indeed have agreed to call "red", and that, as a covering for my head certainly qualifies it as a "hat".

If 5.5billion people insist that god exists, I will ask them to pull out this god, show it to me, let me touch it, smell it, and shove it under a spectroscope. If this cannot be done, then god is just an idea, and therefore not part of consensual reality.

(Besides, the red hat thing doesn't work well as an example because of qualia.. but that's an interesting philosophical, but non religious, topic.)
Qualia Schmalia.

I think a refocusing of the issue here might be in order. I get lost when things become so broadly generalized.

Lori:

The more science tells us about how intricate and delicately balanced life is, the more intelligence I perceive to be behind the design.

You and many, many others. So, from your last post it sounds like you accept scientific explanations for things but you believe that god set it all in motion. That the stars are born out of the natural processes of gravitation and nuclear physics. That we are descended from a common ape-like ancestor. That mountains form through volcanic and tectonic processes. Yes?

"we are all born atheist"
no. we are all born ignorant, though we may become atheist.

faith is not a legitimate basis for knowledgeable claims. for instance, through faith i could make the claim that earth is the only planet in the universe which supports life. moreover, if we were discussing this a couple millennia ago, it would be legitimate to claim the sun revolves around the earth, a claim founded almost entirely on faith.

superluminal said:
I beg to differ.

Religion: Proposition - There is an actual god(s) (not a psychological construct)with the following attributes... Bla, bla, bla... Do some tests and measurements... Nope. Postulate unsupported. Toss postulate.

Morality: Proposition - Morality stems from evolutionary roots and is part of many other species. Do some comparitive studies on other species, pose moral "tests" of other species (been done). Observe moral development across species... Likely. Postulate likely. Keep studying.

Heh

Well, let's try to answer a few questions given the specific information you have provided. (Remember, no going back to reword what you have said. Only use the 'objective' descriptions provided):

Science
Please name a couple of "tests and measurements" which validate the 'proposition' that God is the creator of the universe.

Morality
Please name a couple of "comparitive studies on other species" or "tests and measurements" which determine whether or not abortion is moral or immoral.

Category error. Bzzzz.
Philosophy is a general method of thinking, not in the same category as religion and morality. You HAVE a religious philosophy or you HAVE a moral philosophy.

Did you happen to know that the definition of philosophy you have given is not the only definition available? I think you should look in the dictionary.

In fact, simply to prove you wrong, all I need to do is provide this comment from Wikipedia:
What philosophy is, or should be, is itself a philosophical question that philosophers have understood and treated differently through the ages.​

Sorry, but science is incapable too of determining what philosophy is. I don't know why we should linger so much on what science can and can't do. The objections I have raised and their like do not even meet Karl Popper's falsifiability criterion, nor are the issues resolvable by physical experimentation. I have already told you that I am prepared to adhere to your own definition of 'natural' and it's relation to science. Now, only if you are too, we can go on.

The question of life. That's pretty damn vague. Science is not about subjctive phenomena - "I love chocolate" - and will never have anything to say about the specific interactions of people. But it can tell us in general why we do what we do, where we came from, and where we may be headed, if we don't modify certain behaviors.

Ok, we will keep this limitation of science in mind then in order to give our discussion some direction.

Of course they don't. Most behavior is based on intuition and emotion, and usually works just fine. What's the problem with that?

Did I say there was a 'problem'? :confused:

"What is god": Of course not. Science already tosses the god postulate as being superfluous. Therefore questions about "it" are meaningless.

"What are good and evil" : Yes it does. Morality is a valid field of evolutionary biology and behaviorism.

"What is my purpose in life": Again, purely subjective. Science has no say. I agree.

Aah..

Here is the loaded terminology again. Science doesn't "toss" any 'god postulate'. By the definition of 'natural' you gave me, science does NOT have anything to do with the supernatural. I would hope you understand the explicit declaration of your own definition. Therefore to say science tosses God out is to say "as being superfluous" implies that there have been physical experiments to test for something which is not physical.

This is obviously nonsensical and very contradictory with your original statement. It is simpler to just stick with your own definition and say science deals only with the physical. Agreed?

As for the questions on morality, surely you recognize that, if at all, evolutionary biology and behaviorism deal with the physical (again, we are sticking to your own definition of 'natural'). The aspects of morality which Kant, Tolstoy and other minds grappled with are not physically testable - again, by your own definition. (See Encylopaedia Britannica's entry on Kantian Ethics and Tolstoy's 'A Confession')

We are always talking about science. I have already shown you how science disambiguates:

faith - Acceptance without proof. Useless in ascertaining the objective truth of a subject.
God - Proposition superfluous
good, evil - Biological propensities

How about naming a few physical experiments by which science can objectively determine what faith is and what God is, for starters? Failure to provide these will indicate that science has not provided disambiguation of them. Remember, give physical experiments and not definitions taken from a dictionary (this is only in accordance with the definition of 'natural' you gave and it's relation to science).

(*The good and evil bit is addressed above)

Of course not as these are purely subjective choices made for subjective reasons. Which conversation are we talking about? Science has nothing to say about the subjective choice to believe in a god. Science has everything to say about claims of the objective existence of god.

Ok.. I am going to ask you for the umpteenth time.

List physical experiments by which science can determine

a) "the objective existence of god"
b) whether or not god is "superfluous"

Again, remember the condition. You can't weasel your way out and change what you said because I have you quoted as specifically saying "Science has everything to say about claims of the objective existence of god."

Ok.

I think you need to look up what a strawman argument is. The above is an analogy comparing the objective reality of god(s) and vampires.

Duh. It was an analogy, not an argument.

Heh.. when a flaw in argument has been exposed, always go back and make up an excuse. In other words, what you are telling me by "Duh. It was an analogy, not an argument." is that your analogy was not meant to corroborate your general argument (concerning "the objective reality of god"), ie. your analogy had nothing to do with your argument. We all know that's a lie because I can go back and quote you word for word.

Who said I was nice?

Anyway, squirm I will. Consensual reality as I am using it (and I'm sure is commonly understood) refers to the objective, observable universe, not ideas. Ignoring your upcoming qualia comments (philosophical clap-trap) my red hat is real insofar as we both can see it, touch it, smell it, put it under a spectroscope to determine that the reflected wavelength is indeed 750nm which we indeed have agreed to call "red", and that, as a covering for my head certainly qualifies it as a "hat".

If 5.5billion people insist that god exists, I will ask them to pull out this god, show it to me, let me touch it, smell it, and shove it under a spectroscope. If this cannot be done, then god is just an idea, and therefore not part of consensual reality.

Ok.

By your very own definition of 'natural', we can see that God cannot be tested physically. You are now just going back on your very own definition of 'natural' and contradicting yourself by irrationally asking for physical proof of something which is, by definition, not even physical. That is therefore an illogical request.

As for the qualia comment, I said quite clearly that it did not have anything to do with the discussion. This is evinced unmistakably by the parentheses used to separate it from the rest of the post as well as "but that's an interesting philosophical, but non religious, topic." It is therefore irrational for you to include it in your polemic as if I ever endorsed the concept of qualia. I only mentioned it as a sidenote of interest, for your information. That's what parentheses indicate in the English language normally.

Qualia Schmalia.

I think a refocusing of the issue here might be in order. I get lost when things become so broadly generalized.

Umm.. you started talking to me about the applicability of science to certain domains, although I never mentioned anything about science in my original post. Hell, I didn't even say the word science.

It's interesting though that you think I'm a theist. Have I ever endorsed or exhibited anything theistic? And if so, could you quote me?
This amuses me since most people who have been here long enough know where I've come from.. :)

I'm not at all a theist, but used to be a Christian way back in the day but one day I saw the light. Now I'm just searching for a satisfactory epistemology to wallow in, by use of my internal consistency criterion (see the ongoing conversation with James R in 'bad religion')

superluminal said:
You and many, many others. So, from your last post it sounds like you accept scientific explanations for things but you believe that god set it all in motion. That the stars are born out of the natural processes of gravitation and nuclear physics. That we are descended from a common ape-like ancestor. That mountains form through volcanic and tectonic processes. Yes?

Yes. I think that science is the discovery and study of what God has created, and how, or by what design. He created the laws...physical, natural, and spiritual, under which the universe and everything in it operates, or lives and dies.

SouthStar,

Heh. I was goint to post a long rambling point by point refutation to almost all of your responses, but you know what? I'm not. You are clearly a philosopher, a "discipline" I find in and of itself to be intellectual masturbation and useless. All you have done in your last post is demonstrate why scientists and engineers make the world go, while philosophers sit around and debate the meaning of the word "reason" or truth" or "meaning(!)".

That may sound harsh, but philosophical debates bore me. Let's just try to be clear in what we are saying and we'll come to an understanding.

And I know you're not a theist. I just have zero interest in debating for the sake of debating. See my physics posts for verification of this.

So, what exactly is your point in all this?

See if this makes sense:

Science has nothing to say about the existence of god. Science does not postulate a god. Theists do. If a theist asks a scientist, "is there a god?" the scientist can only reply, "Make a claim for a physical effect caused by this god, and I will try to test it." That's it.

Just one example:

Theists claim that through the agency of god, prayer has certain physical effects. This has been tested and found to be uncorrellated with reality.
Conclusion: God does not exist OR theists are mistaken in their supposition that god responds to prayer.

As for the "rationality" of belief in god or not, I say this:

- Postulating a supernatural (by my definition) agency (god - supernatural as defined) for ANYTHING is irrational. Why? Because it can never be proven true OR false (by my definition) and is therefore not knowable by any means in our natural (my definition) universe and is therefore not accessible to logic or analysis.

As for what science can and cannot do, I say this:

- The valid realm of science is the objective, physical universe and it's behavior. Including the mechanisms of human thought and behavior. The mechanisms of morality, belief, love, hate, etc. are valid areas of science. What humans do with these behaviors is subjective.

- I like chocolate
- I think abortion is Ok under certain circumstances
- I think god is on our side in war because we're righteous

I will say, you are making me think.

What say you?

superluminal said:
Lori,

I know many theists that share that point of view.

Well, you know, it is a good one. :p

"Intellectual masturbation"...nice.

I've heard very different results from tests conducted on the effects of prayer...like the opposite results actually. Why is that do you think?

water,

Truth is about consensus? Truth is an agreement? A deal? That makes sense ...
Well, no. For example we can prove that 1 + 1 = 2, this is a truth, and it remains true even if everyone were to reach a consensus that it isn't. Truth is independent of opinion or agreement.

Lori:

I've heard very different results from tests conducted on the effects of prayer...like the opposite results actually. Why is that do you think?

Because their experiment design was flawed and biased. You can look it up on the internet.

Why do I giggle at the prospect of intellectual masturbation..

*moan*

:D

while philosophers sit around and debate the meaning of the word "reason" or truth" or "meaning(!)".

This is done because of mental calisthenics, or boredom, or just not having a girlfriend. :p

I think philosophy can go a long way to tackling the areas which resist resolution by physical experiment, ie. "What humans do with these behaviors". I'm not positive on this but I think materialism is recognized as a philosophy. And science rests solely on the assumptions of materialism.

Now my point was that since science operates under postulates of materialism, it is not at all absurd to compare the philosophies of materialism and transcendentalism in order to determine science's potential for resolving issues regarding the 'supernatural'.

Of course, it wouldn't make sense to do this without us first agreeing on what 'natural' and 'supernatural' mean. (And yes, I have contemplated the meaning of meaning..)
(IMO, to determine the 'rationality' of materialism (and therefore science) requires independent inspection of the system's axioms and conclusions for internal consistency)

There is no doubt science can resolve whether or not the first humans were created in Eden, or out of eggs, or in bird poop or what have you. This is because these religious claims are physical in nature and therefore testable (and you agree with this). Things which are not testable can be examined philosophically only (I find the method I proposed above to be most impartial).

The mechanisms of morality, belief, love, hate, etc. are valid areas of science.

Indisputable.

---

But, if you prefer physical masturbation to intellectual masturbation, be my guest. After all, I can philosophize all day on what a physical one would feel like..

;)

Cris,

Once upon a thread...

There was endless debate about reality. What is objectively real? If all we have are our senses, then everything is, to some degree, subjective. Blah, blah blah... Fine. Then I argued that the physical universe we live in is a consensual reality. We all agree that an apple is an apple. An apple is a solid object - we agree. I can test the "apple" for many attributes that you also can independently verify.

Truth, now, that's a different story. My "consensual reality" has been much abused since then. It relates only to the physical, testable, verifiable universe. Not to subjective thoughts of individuals. Water decided to put the word "truth" in her response to me as a way to perpetuate an argument. That's all.

SouthStar,

Ha! I find no fault with your post. You must understand that, as an engineer-type I tend to deal in very concrete things. I understand the role of philosophy, I just have little patience for it.

In my subjective mind, if you claim a "thing" has a real physical effect in the objective world but can't test it, verify it, bang it with a hammer, fire high energy electrons at it, or whatever, it's useless. Simple.

Last edited:
Back