Faith Defined

Complete confidence is not faith. If you have complete confidence based on evidence then that is not faith.

*sigh*

One can have complete confindence in a person or plan based on the past performance of that person or plan. But, that does not mean that when you put that person or plan into action, the outcome will be as planned. One must have faith that when putting that person or plan into action, the results will be as planned.

(Q) just has way too much confidence and pride and will never condede.

Concede to what?

He's the type that will never be able to utter the words "I love you".

Certainly not on this forum.

Heh, it'll be a cold day in hell before he says "I'm wrong"

Stroll through my posts and you'll see that you're wrong.

or even worse, agrees with a psuedosciencer.

I've agreed with nutters before, just not with what they've conjured from their imaginations.

As for him vehemently denying there being the existance of God, I think it'd be more along the lines of him agreeing that there is a God.. in the sense that there is something that has always existed and started creation

Why call it god when its little more than a quantum fluctuation?

he just can't get himself to utter that word "God".

God. :)

Heh, it'll be a cold day in hell before he says "I'm wrong" - N

Stroll through my posts and you'll see that you're wrong. - Q

I'm wrong? Of course, that's exactly the point! ;)

Why call it god when its little more than a quantum fluctuation? - Q

Look, we're slowly breaking him down! *continues chiseling away*

*gasp, wheeze, wheeze, cough, cough, choke, keel over*

Lol, was just having fun with ya in my last post, no worries.

- N

(Q) said:
Complete confidence is not faith. If you have complete confidence based on evidence then that is not faith.

*sigh*
Are you tired?

One can have complete confindence in a person or plan based on the past performance of that person or plan. But, that does not mean that when you put that person or plan into action, the outcome will be as planned. One must have faith that when putting that person or plan into action, the results will be as planned.
Exactly. Faith is allways in what is hidden for us. No matter what he had done before, you still need to have faith in what he is going to do.

Men (and women) are shapable, what they did in the past, need not reflect what they will do in the future. If I did something terribly wrong, I could still change. But if everyone still think I am who I once was and didn't have faith in me, then I would start to loose faith in myself as well and maybe go back to the wrongful things I did.

We must have faith in a person that is not based on what he has done before, that would be true faith. To allways give the option to change.

God is helping us develop that faith. By believing in Him, we can sense a standard of faith.

Are you tired?

Only of repeating myself.

God is helping us develop that faith. By believing in Him, we can sense a standard of faith.

Since your god has nothing to do with the second definition, I'm assuming your only talking about the first. If so, I agree.

(Q) said:
Are you tired?

Only of repeating myself.
I understand, it's almost inevitble when discussing religious topics. The same questions over and over again...making one think that the answer they got before wasn't good enough so that you have to explain it in a different way, and yet another different way, and...well I guess you understand. We are all humans you know, atheist or theist. But I guess you understand that too...

I guess it all comes down to this:

Yep, God exists!

Nope, god doesn't exist!

Oh yes, He does!

Oh no, he doesn't!

Is that faith?? Faith must come from within, you can't discuss faith into someone. Do you understand what I mean?

Since your god has nothing to do with the second definition, I'm assuming your only talking about the first. If so, I agree.
I agree in so much that there are a difference in having faith in God, and having faith in a person.

But faith in it's essence is the same. The two are related.

What I meant, was that having faith in God (which you don't see) can help you to have faith in a persons inner-ability (which you don't see either).

You are only by definition describing faith in two situations. Where faith in God is colored by the faith in God and faith in a person is colored by the faith in a person.

Faith must come from within, you can't discuss faith into someone. Do you understand what I mean?

Not really. Are you referring to definition 1 or 2?

What I meant, was that having faith in God (which you don't see) can help you to have faith in a persons inner-ability (which you don't see either).

But I know that persons ability and I have confidence in that ability. The faith is in the results of that persons ability, which is an unknown.

Back