eyes on wild animals

to the cats/kittens replies:
Okay, point taken. So is it true that for most animals, juvenile age is an age of curiosity?
and John, I'm rather a bad translator.....:)

to Halloween 'bad idea'
If ever Egyptians hear that............

HaHa yeah they would be mortified if they found out thats what we do to cats now!!!

So is it true that for most animals, juvenile age is an age of curiosity?

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. Most carnivores are curious at this stage but not herbivores. Young deer for example would never indulge their curiosity.

Is it by any chance because of the nature of their meal? I mean like, you know that plants won't move with such agility compared to animals..... or should I say plants just live to sit still waiting for their doom to come?:)

Depends on the animal, but many smaller herbivores typically have little protection against carnivorous predators. No canine teeth/fangs, etc. From a very early age their instincts tell them to be very skittish so as not to be reclassified as "lunch." Their only means of protection is run like hell and hope the other guy is wearing worn out shoes or is out of shape and tires easily. ;)

Of course, bigger herbies like elephants, rhinos, hippos, bulls, etc, wouldn't really qualify this way, because, in addition to massive size to inhibit predation, they also have very aggressive predispositions, and will often go on the offensive when their comfort zone is breeched.

John Connellan said:
Far more people hate cats than hate dogs.
It would shed more light on the issue to phrase it, "Far more people love dogs than cats." It starts to make sense then. The dog was the very first animal that we learned to share our lives with. It wasn't even "domestication," we voluntarily formed a multi-species community after running into each other's hunting parties and realizing that we'd make a terrific team. They can smell the mammoth a couple of miles away, run fast enough to catch up with it, and harrass it until we show up with our wonderful pointy things that can kill it and our mastery of fire to make the meat a little less tough.

We've been living with dogs for about 12,000 years, since the Mesolithic era when we were hunter-gatherers. Cats are newcomers by comparison. They had no reason to hang around us until we developed civilization with its granaries, and our settlements suddenly had all those succulent rodents running around, and we seemed not to mind the cats hanging out and sharing a bit of our food as long as they kept the rodents in check. Cats go back about 5-6,000 years.

We have more experience with dogs, they're in our blood much more deeply than cats.

Historically-related, eh? Okay..... I hate history subjects anyway lol.....

Oh, I just had a rather odd experience with moth tonight (I can't specifically say what moth, it's somewhat a common moth with big antennae and 'body-covering' wings. Oh, it's brown by the way).
When I was taking a walk to my dorm, a moth (the moth, maybe) landed on my hand all of a sudden, and I just looked at it at first, then ignored it and continued walking. most of the time, the moth stayed still, occasionally walking the other parts of my hand (hand only, it didn't creep up to my arm). Then when I walked past a garden-lamp, I tried to put my hand (with the moth) close enough to the lamp, and suddenly, the moth went uneasy, walking all around my hand so that it would be shielded. Of course, I flipped my hand a few times to expose the moth to the light, and it kept trying to hide, but after awhile, it stopped scurrying about and went calm even when I brought my hand closer to the lamp. After that, I continued walking, and after a few minutes, the moth finally flew away.

Any strange experience with non-chordatas?

Fraggle Rocker said:
It would shed more light on the issue to phrase it, "Far more people love dogs than cats." It starts to make sense then.

No, I'm sticking with my statement which, I agree is quite different to what your saying but is entirely true I think.

I think I know the other reason why you said that (the dumb thing)..... butterflies are afraid of our hands, and praying mantises instead get interested when we move our hands in some way.... and moths just don't care.......

Back