Evolutionary Implies of the Human Diet

entelecheia

Registered Senior Member
Hi
I would like to discuss on the appropiate way to prepare healthy food for occidental people from different genetic backgrounds [kosher israelies, vegetarian hindus...]

Genetic backgrounds was conformed through eons of religion's dietary restrictions and peculiar food sources.

Hi
I would like to discuss on the appropiate way to prepare healthy food for occidental people from different genetic backgrounds [kosher israelies, vegetarian hindus...]

Genetic backgrounds was conformed through eons of religion's dietary restrictions and peculiar food sources.
What does genetics have to do with the conscious choice of one diet over another? People of the same genetic makeup eat entirely different foods (Indian vegetarians coexist with Indian meat lovers, etc.)

All people, regardless of ethnicity, eat carbs, fats, proteins and fiber as well as vitamins and minerals. The only thing I can think of that might come into play is food allergies, which I suppose are genetically transmitted. I'm just not sure where you'd come up with distinguishing food safety according to ethnicity.

Milk, peanuts and gluten . . . are they tolerated in one ethnic group and not in another? I doubt it.

Some people don't need food at all to live because they gain their energies from other sources while others need to eat tons of food just to have little energy and a little comfort. Still, I still fail to see what genetics has to do with it all.

I think it's more psychological and cultural and not genetic.

Some people don't need food at all to live because they gain their energies from other sources. ...
What are these "other sources" and how do they enter the body? - I think you are posting BS, but that it would be amusing to have you answer these two question.

What does genetics have to do with the conscious choice of one diet over another? People of the same genetic makeup eat entirely different foods (Indian vegetarians coexist with Indian meat lovers, etc.)
Are you claiming Halal ancestral tradition, Ahimsa ancestral tradition (the basic ingredients of hindu vegetarian diet doesnt exist in my country) didnt change anything at a genetic level?
You knows authentic Ahimsa hindus, Kosher israelies, Halal muslims who eat McDonalds hamburgers? let me know.

Milk, peanuts and gluten . . . are they tolerated in one ethnic group and not in another? I doubt it
No. Most chinese people can´t tolerate milk. Simply milk never was part of their diet.

Milk, peanuts and gluten . . . are they tolerated in one ethnic group and not in another? I doubt it

No. Most chinese people can´t tolerate milk. Simply milk never was part of their diet.
The people who tolerate milk well as adults are a minority, but not even that minority forms an ethnic group - several different ethnic groups are involved. The rest of the human species, those who do not digest milk well as adults, are very diverse ethnically.

"Chinese" people include several quite different ethnic groups.

Confusing ethnicity with genetic grouping is an immediate muddle, and will ruin any attempts to analyze the evolutionary implications of human diet.

The people who tolerate milk well as adults are a minority, but not even that minority forms an ethnic group - several different ethnic groups are involved. The rest of the human species, those who do not digest milk well as adults, are very diverse ethnically.
I didn't mention ethnicity.

Confusing ethnicity with genetic grouping is an immediate muddle, and will ruin any attempts to analyze the evolutionary implications of human diet
I'm not an expert in anthropology of dietetics, but knows some clues that suggest me evolutionary adaptations to x ancestral eating habits could exist.

An american descendant of a vegetarian Punjabi family could easily become an omnivore?

From wikipedia: The development of these cuisines have been shaped by Hindu and Jain beliefs, in particular vegetarianism which is a common dietary trend in Indian society.[1] There has also been Islamic influence from the years of Mughal and Delhi Sultanate rule, as well as Persian interactions on North Indian and Deccani cuisine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_cuisine.

The only way this applies is to lactose. Vegetarians and vegetarian societies aren't physically special.

A British physician named Sir Robert McCarrison wrote a book Hunza Land: The Fabulous Youth Wonderland of the World. http://www.livestrong.com/article/4081-need-hunza-diet/
A book that told how long the Hunza people lived and how free of disease they were.

Is he a reliable researcher? Exist any place of almost 0 incidence of diseases? If Science publish it, it could'n affect the farmacologycal industry and the appreciation to the modern omni-polluted metropolis as well?

Is it possible to design food dishes [''personalized''] to fit in the particular needs of an human organism?
Any ideas?

The book Fruits of Warm Climates by prestiged Julia F. Morton is an in-deep research on the evolutionary history of fruits. Indeed, fruits are more a consequence of manmade natural selection than spontaneous designs of natural evolution. Ergo human's particular nutritional needs are a consequence of a sort of a manmade evolution [agricultural peculiar traditions] .

The only way this applies is to lactose. Vegetarians and vegetarian societies aren't physically special.
Can i become a vegetarian without risk? Many doctors say a b-12 supplement is necesary. But how hindus produce b-12 if it lacks in all vegetal sources?

The people who tolerate milk well as adults are a minority, but not even that minority forms an ethnic group - several different ethnic groups are involved.
Dairy farming was first invented in southwest Asia between 6000 and 5000BCE. It spread somewhat slowly from there, eventually becoming established in continental Europe and south Asia, but it did not reach sub-Saharan Africa and east Asia until relatively modern times, surely the Iron Age if not the late Iron Age. It spread to Scandinavia and the British Isles a little sooner.

The people of the New World had no domesticated animals that could be milked. Llamas produce so little milk it's a wonder that their own babies survive, and the North Americans never tried to domesticate large herbivores like the bison, their own species of cattle--or even the moose or the mountain goat.

So it was the people of southwestern Asia, Europe, and the Indian subcontinent who had milk available as a plentiful and efficient source of nutrition (dairy farming uses pasture land ten times as efficiently as beef farming) and therefore needed a physiology that could digest it.

Like all mammals, humans produce the enzyme lactase as babies, which is necessary for digesting the lactose in milk. But like all mammals, as we grow older and stop nursing, we no longer need that enzyme so its production attenuates.

It's not clear why any human would have tried drinking cow milk, unless population pressure made the eating of meat cost-ineffective and they had to find another way to survive. Whatever the reason, suddenly people who could digest milk had a tremendous survival advantage over the others. The human population was waiting for a mutation that would make this happen.

The resulting phenomenon is an instance of neoteny, the retention of a characteristic of infancy into adulthood. Humans whose bodies continued to produce lactase for a few more years had a survival advantage over those who didn't. A community in which a large percentage of the people could drink milk, leaving more meat for their comrades, had an economic advantage over other communities.

Over the course of several thousand years, natural selection resulted in the people of those regions retaining the ability to produce lactase throughout their entire lives. As Europe became more crowded and its cities pushed farmland farther and farther away from the population centers, in an era when there was no refrigeration and the fastest way to deliver food was a wagon pulled by a domestic animal, farmland had to be used more efficiently. Otherwise farms would be so far from the city that it would be impossible to deliver food before it spoiled. Of course preserved meat lasts longer but meat preservation is an expensive process that somebody has to pay for--certainly not the peasants and slaves who comprised most of the population of the Roman Empire.

In fact people began eating more grains--which created horrible nutritional problems and drastically reduced life expectancy in the Roman Era. But they augmented their bread with the amino acids in milk protein, and this kept them alive, at least for a while. (They knew virtually nothing about vitamins and minerals, neither of which are abundant in cereal.)

The rest of the human species, those who do not digest milk well as adults, are very diverse ethnically.
Sub-Saharan Africans, East Asians, Polynesians, Native Australians, and the native people of the Western Hemisphere.

Lactose intolerance is also common (but not universal) among Jewish people, even though they originated in the dairy farming region. Perhaps the proscription in the Torah against eating meat and milk in the same meal discouraged them from eating milk at all--but this is simply a wild guess.

A small cut in the neck is a way to harvest more protein from your cattle without killing them:
http://www.maasai-association.org/maasai.html said:
".. Maasai rely on meat, milk and blood from cattle for protein and caloric needs. People drink blood on special occasions. It is given to a circumcised person (o/esipolioi), a woman who has given birth (entomononi) and the sick (oltamueyiai). Also, on a regular basis drunk elders, ilamerak, use the blood to alleviate intoxication and hangovers. Blood is very rich in protein and is good for the immune system. However, its use in the traditional diet is waning due to the reduction of livestock numbers.

You can find b12 in some kinds of yeast.
Spirulin, oat cream, there is a controversy. Some investigators claim their bioavailability is poor, others say they are b-12 analogous.

A physician in a tv program said b-12 supplement is indispensable, but i distrust supplements since 44 formule scandal:eek:, talidomide scandal, etc. [some physicians say there is evidence Coca Cola cause pancreas leukemia. No way, megatherium corporations can manipulate the truth]

Why hindu veggies don't need b-12?

Spirulin, oat cream, there is a controversy. Some investigators claim their bioavailability is poor, others say they are b-12 analogous.

A physician in a tv program said b-12 supplement is indispensable, but i distrust supplements since 44 formule scandal:eek:, talidomide scandal, etc. [some physicians say there is evidence Coca Cola cause pancreas leukemia. No way, megatherium corporations can manipulate the truth]

Why hindu veggies don't need b-12?

Hindus aren't vegans.

My understanding is that bacteria grow in cooked grains not eaten right away (at least rice, anyway), and those bacteria supposedly provide vitamin B-12.

And there's nothing they eat that isn't cooked in clarified butter. Or at least that's what I learned from that book they gave me in the airport.

My understanding is that bacteria grow in cooked grains not eaten right away (at least rice, anyway), and those bacteria supposedly provide vitamin B-12.
Very interesting. It implies vegetarianism is an anti-natural diet, a consequence of a dogma. But it also implies a big population of hindus survived by luck, and maybe with important deficiences.
This sounds discriminatory, and is definitely untrue.

In Perth-Australia exist an important comunity of europeans vegetarians. Also in Amirim Village-Israel [see trip advisor].

Very interesting. It implies vegetarianism is an anti-natural diet, a consequence of a dogma. But it also implies a big population of hindus survived by luck, and maybe with important deficiences.
This sounds discriminatory, and is definitely untrue.

In Perth-Australia exist an important comunity of europeans vegetarians. Also in Amirim Village-Israel [see trip advisor].

Vegetarianism isn't the same as veganism. Many so-called vegetarians do consume dairy products or eggs. Vegans don't consume any animal product whatsoever, and that does not apply to Hindus.

Back