Evolution of Religious concepts into cartoon caricatures.

to a weaker form of atheism of course ...
You, from spidergoat's stronger form of atheism (that he has the habit of falling in to when he gets all hot headed)
I have committed no retreat, whatsoever, nor do I have any idea why you claim that I have. That's one of two posts I made in this thread and the first was a youtube cartoon.
You're obvious dishonesty will be ignored at this point, especially considering it's an attempt to derail this thread.
Um guys, I really didn't mean to debate the veracity of theistic vs atheistic viewpoints here. There are plenty of other threads where that is already taking place. I was trying to find understanding of how the religious "characters" (for lack of a better word) transformed through literature and cultural representations from how they are described in religious texts to how they are depicted in modern literature and on to cartoons (animated literature).
If you think he's going to harass the posters in this thread, with absurdities such as the above, you may want to report his posts and see if a Mod might ask him to back off a bit...

I have committed no retreat, whatsoever, nor do I have any idea why you claim that I have. That's one of two posts I made in this thread and the first was a youtube cartoon.
You're obvious dishonesty will be ignored at this point, especially considering it's an attempt to derail this thread.
There are three possibilities :

1. You have no clue what you are talking about
  2. You didn't read spidergoat's post
  3. You can't understand how your explanation of atheism differs's radically from Spidergoat's (arguably a subset of the first point, but it warrants a separate mention)

:shrug:

Driving home absolute negatives is hard going in anyone's books ...

Given the behavior theists sometimes exhibit, it is hard to contextualize it any other way but to posit strong atheism. This way, one can at least write off the misbehavior of the theists as "mere human behavior."

The thought that God exists, that people who claim to be theists are His representatives, and that the only way ordinary people can ever do right by God, is by subjecting themselves to theists, and this combined with the fact of the atrocities that people have been doing in the name of God -
for many people, this is just too much to stomach, so they rather posit that there is no God and keep a humanistic outlook, as opposed to setting themselves up for a lifetime of abuse in the name of God.

Given the behavior theists sometimes exhibit, it is hard to contextualize it any other way but to posit strong atheism. This way, one can at least write off the misbehavior of the theists as "mere human behavior."

The thought that God exists, that people who claim to be theists are His representatives, and that the only way ordinary people can ever do right by God, is by subjecting themselves to theists, and this combined with the fact of the atrocities that people have been doing in the name of God -
for many people, this is just too much to stomach, so they rather posit that there is no God and keep a humanistic outlook, as opposed to setting themselves up for a lifetime of abuse in the name of God.
having a really bad time doesn't lend strength to absolute negatives any more than being a victim renders one the moral high ground

:shrug:

having a really bad time doesn't lend strength to absolute negatives any more than being a victim renders one the moral high ground

There should be a way to explain the atrocities committed by theists,
without having to resort to the ridiculousness of strong atheism.

Do you not think so?

Why has God set up the Universe so that ordinary people have to rely on fallible people like theists for all input about God?

Why is it that for the things that should be central to my life, I am supposed to rely on people whom I wouldn't trust with looking after a dead plant?

To lightgigantic and wynn,

READ THE OP! Your asinine battle of theism vs atheism has nothing to do with the OP. STOP IT! YOU HAVE DERAILED A GENUINELY ACADEMICALLY MOTIVATED THREAD IN ORDER TO STROKE YOU OWN EGOS. I HAVE REPORTED YOU BOTH. WYNN YOU HAVE CREATED THREADS THAT WERE CONDUCIVE TO YOUR TYPE OF TROLLING, HAVE THE DECENCY TO CONTAIN YOUR BEHAVIOR THERE. LIGHTGIGANTIC, GO TO WYNN'S THREADS AND POST YOUR OBNOXIOUSNESS THERE, AT LEAST YOU WONT BE DERAILING WYNN'S INTENTIONS FOR THE THREAD.

to Neverfly, thank you for acknowledging my first attempt to get the thread back on topic and refraining from further interactions with the two above.

Back