Evolution and the 2nd Law

Esoteric said:
9. The Second Law of Thermodynamics says that systems must become more disordered over time. Living cells therefore could not have evolved from inanimate chemicals, and multicellular life could not have evolved from protozoa.

Where'd ya get that definition? If it didn't come from some bathroom humor book then I'm stumped.

First. There are many applications for the 2nd law of thermodynamics. The one you want to try and cling onto is the entropy aspect. It states, in pretty basic terminology (even though I'll still explain it): Second Law of Thermodynamics: In any cyclic process the entropy will either increase or remain the same.

First. The earth is not in a cyclical process. There is the sun. We are not going to tend toward entropy because we are not a closed system (i.e. cyclic process).

It really is that simple.

Think of life like an air conditioner, as both in erroneous understanding of thermodynamics violate the 2nd law. Both cause local organization: a air-conditioner cools things reducing randomness and entropy and a cells organizes molecules, but require energy, that energy was released by making disorder out of order somewhere else, the air-conditioner requires electricity from a generator, the generator turned fuel into gas, entropy goes up. The cell takes energy from food, food is metabolized into simpler molecules, entropy goes up. Even though both have reduced entropy in the local system, globally entropy had to go up for them to do this.

Damn you WCF. You said what I wanted to say, but made it make sense.

I said "survival" as the antithesis of entropy.

That is survival is a struggle - a directed (i almost see it as a four D gradient), unweilding compulsion not to fall to entropy. It is implemented subjectively.

If viewed survival as a "force in the internal dimension" or whatever, I can't help but see a reverse analogous relationship between survival and entropy. It's sort of analagous either way maybe. On one hand, survival is analagous to entropy in that both are a result of conservation (as I mentioned survival being the "conservation of life-energy"). On the other, their function is opposite in that entropy nullfies potential whereas survival (which I claim to be a force or something - definately a property of the reality of life, or actually I've called it "the life force" or "whatever it is that coaxes things to want to survive") attempts to manipulate it to persist.

Organisation in a closed system causes disorganisation in the system/s outside it.
But yeah, i'm agreeing with everyone else, this doesn't really affect Darwin

Back