Evils, Atrocities and Injustices of the Torah

over the last year we have had some sick f*#ks on this forum, in the early part of the year a man who has visions, who is still here, said some real sick things, and the two to three months ago, a man who name was the make up of a drug, said something even worse, and now we have another.
so to brutus, there is never ever any reason to kill, even if you think yourself to be a god or your god thinks it has the right, it does'nt. in the extreme, it may be justifed to protect loved ones. but I even have my doubts about that.
if you believe it right to kill then your a one sick f*#k.

Brutus1964 said:
Sometimes it is justified to kill people in defense of yourself, family, faith, and country. In The Old Testament God would smite the enemies of righteousness so future generations would not be lost to ignorance and disbelief. Before the atonement God had to bring much harsher judgment on people. After the atonement he could show mercy because Jesus Christ paid the price of sin. This is why in the Olden days the wrath of God was much stronger than it is today.

God is the ultimate judge. We are not the judges of God. To have faith is to believe what ever God does he has a righteous purpose for it.

Firstly i would ask where is your scriptural evidence for the bold assertions you made. If you've not got one then you are presenting your opinion!

This also goes down the route of whatever god does is good by definition. This is at odds to our human morality. Killing an entire city, including newborn innnocents is by any human standard evil. If we can't use our standards to judge gods evil then how can we decide his good.

To me Brutus, it is just apologetics to ease yourself past the immense evil that the judeo christian god is represented as doing in the old testament.

Also note that Christ is not upto modern morals, he is i belive a misogynist (?sp- its late) and supporter of slavery.

fahrenheit 451 said:
...so to brutus, there is never ever any reason to kill, even if you think yourself to be a god or your god thinks it has the right, it does'nt. in the extreme, it may be justifed to protect loved ones. but I even have my doubts about that.
if you believe it right to kill then your a one sick f*#k.
I believe I have a right to kill anyone or anything that I think needs killing, but it's not always the right thing to do. In a society, we have other ways of dealing with problems that should be tried first. That is what is taught in school, we are even proud of our warriors and our wars. Many people in society both have a right, and think it's right in some cases to kill, such as judges and the president.

farhenheit451 said:
So what is your point about the Septuagint, the english translation could have been made from Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic texts or all of them, so what exactly is your problem with the english version, and why is it so different to the other three, as I've said hebrew scholars have translated it.
but is your version better than theres.

BTW who mentioned talking snakes in the torah, it does not say it in the original post, so who did.
In fact the King James Bible, the Bible I imagine the quotes were taken from, translated the Torah from the Hebrew, not the LXX. Catholic Bibles are English translations of the Latin Vulgate of Jerome, itself a translation of the LXX. Following Martin Luther's lead, William Tyndale and subsequently the translators of the KJV went back to the best Hebrew texts of the Torah they could find. The way you can tell this is that the names were returned to their Hebrew form as far as possible - which was not possible for people whose names were too well known in the Greek form, specifically Moses and Jesus.

I'm still not certain of The Devil Inside's point because the KJV translation in particular is so faithful that it occasionally makes no sense in English, comprising as it does a Hebrew idiom. In the cases of the cited verses, there can be no real doubt about the gist of what the verses imply.

What I'm concerned about is use in this thread of the term "The Torah", rather than the more common "Pentateuch". Unless the preacher is actually Jewish, I might suspect him or her of harbouring some anti-Semitism.

Written in a hurry, may revise later.

the preacher took the article from the evil bible.com.
so I dont think he's anti semitic, it actually use's the word torah rather then pentateuch.

Back