Ever Ponder The Essence of God(s)?

rain of walrus

Registered Member
granted, we lack the extraterrestrial knowledge / evidence to help us accurately define a Deity's essence. Let's go with what we do know: Water is in every corporeal lifeform. And water is often considered the primary building block for both *random* and *created* homeostasis on a given planet.

So, perhaps--given the limited evidence--the very Essence of God(s) is water. Or more importantly, liquid. All religions speak of God(s) being *in* each and every one of use.

Any thoughts?

Nope. There are no gods.
But welcome to SciForums in any case!

Peace.

Rain of Walrus? Damn... I’m gonna need a bigger umbrella.

opinions run rampant here on Earth

thanks for sharing your opinion, Goofy. *chuckle* Yes, downpourings of large marine mammals can be very bad for one's health.

In my humble opinion, religions are full of crap.
And that is in each and every one of us also. :D

Peace.

I'm a deity and can assure you tht my essence is life itself;)

in any case - I welcome you to Sciforums.

deity huh?

if you were truly a deity, wouldnt you know what countless other humans have known for a long time now...

life is simply a by-product of something much bigger

<i>"granted, we lack the extraterrestrial knowledge / evidence to help us accurately define a Deity's essence. Let's go with what we do know..."</i>

That would be our experience or appreciation of life, would it not? I would surmise that WE are the essence of God(s). We are macro-essence, I would assume. As for the water thing, I don't see much value.

realistically speaking...

science and religion all point to a pre-life existence. water obviously existed long before complex machines did. as that's all we often appear to be... realistically speaking--free of all bias.

even if some large Heavenly hand was tending the stew.

within the confines of scientific law, what are water's deeper origins. An old cowboy once told me the secret to cured meats isnt such much in the meat but in the quality of salts... Ya gotta know where the salt *came* from.

This week I heard the Nixon white house tapes with Billy Graham insisting that immediate deployment of nuclear weapons in Viet Nam is morally right and religiously correct (along with hatred of the controlling Jews). I have also heard Bin Laden speak of weapons of mass destruction awaiting the infidel USA (along with destruction of the controlling Jews).

Why the minds of men rarely emotionally and logically evolve beyond that of a 16 year old child is cause for all our man made lamentations.

These ultimate religious values will not, have not and never will nourish the children of this world.

It prompted me to write this:

During the peace conference...

She came by ambulance but her eyes betrayed her.
She was shot exploding the C4 around her womb.

He came by the front door into passover dinner.
The explosion felt silent as ceilings collapsed.
The place that was saved was soaked in blood.

They both came from the moral high ground
blessed by holy scripture since they were children.
Wired for self preservation and conquest of good over evil
the fundamental mind waits for a final solution.

Neutron bombs go into full production to limit fallout
a small but feeble attempt at compassion.
The order waits for the first report of small pox in the US
NBC speaks of NBC, nuclear biological and chemical war
many made by GE bringing good things to life.

The escalation is in corporate banks and military hands
The mothers and children have no place at this table.
These decisions involve the survival of life on earth.
Once economic damage exceeds the cost of all the oil
all the waiting and preparation stops.
The path to the final solution is cleared.

Somewhere a survivor dreams

Sweet revenge sinks to the nightmare sea of awakening.
A thankful prayer to God for another day despite the pain.

In the cold -pages of the bible and koran are burned for warmth
The pious clever people begin again to read and teach
With self importence and holy books the new leaders reach for peace.

God and religion are seperate in some peoples minds. The notion of the hereafter is probably the most dangerous of all. To hell with the hereafter lets make a heaven here.

If you are still thinking the things you believed/were taught eover and over and over again when you were six think about all the other things that you have changed your mind about.

On the sci fi novel side I read about stellar entities that have electromagnetic thoughts on a time scale that was mind blowing.

It's interesting to note that we can't understand the properties of water using physics.

As to whether that's the essence of god I think not. Definitions of god aside, I think everything we experience directly is a much higher level manifestation of the essence of what is.

Whether you consider god at the essence or something else, we are far removed from whatever it is or we would certainly have a better idea of what that was.

Originally posted by scilosopher
It's interesting to note that we can't understand the properties of water using physics.

Could you please elaborate/explain? I was under the impression fluid dynamics/mechanics was quite a standard part of it all...

Adam,
We do ok on the macroscopic scale, but the network arrangements on the microscopic level we can't model accurately at all.

Actually, fluid mechanics in turbulent regimes is tough stuff and still an active area of research in physics. It slow going though ...

along the lines of scilosopher's point; we still know very little about how the oceans actually work... both macro and micro. we're constantly finding deeper and deeper beds of prehistoric ice (North and South Poles) that continue to baffle us, and worse, disprove many popular theories.

When i try to "define" god as something IN our reality i always come back to energy. It controls and IS everything so why can't god be that?

my logical path

I always come to a conclusion tht there is no god, everything is life, life is energy, I consist of energy, I am god.

:D

Asguard, my hypothesis is that energy it just an infinitely large canvas, awaiting paint. not entirely unlike the steaming hot pot of water, awaiting tea. but Im often tragically wrong.

Hydrogen is the cat's pajamas... but until we find *new* life in the cosmos, we have never seen hydrogen do anything Epic by itself. I do want a BMW 740HL, and I want one bad...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Order is the essence of god (okay maybe last time it was soul - though I think I've argued for god too).

Energy by itself is just heat, which is a major propagator of disorder. The balance of disorder and order is, of course, important as much as just order itself. Energy is important in that balance, but the way the energy is packaged is more important than the energy itself in terms of controlling things. Fits in well with the whole canvas comment.

Organisms propagate because of their order if you take a bag of stuff with the same chemical constituents of a person and heat it up until it has the same amount of energy as a person not much is going to happen.

And since we're also bits of order you can still be a god ...

I think I would side more with scilosopher on this.

The essence of a god would have to be directed self-awareness at an extraordinary high level of intelligence. The medium that holds such organized patterns would be largely irrelevant, perhaps carbon, or silicon, but more probably other exotic materials that we have yet to create or conceive.

But water is fine for biological life and I guess that is all we have known up until now. But when we create AI machines that can outthink humans and are self-aware then these too should also be considered life-forms. And here water is more than likely to be harmful than helpful.

But I like the idea of Fire being the essence of gods: That seems to be a more appealing explanation for mythical super beings.

Cris

Back