Eugenics

Scale....

• Total voters
Eugenics is dangerous, as we lose potentially valuable genetic material.
The values eugenics control for are rather artificial.

Why specifically did you vote -5?
Because I believe eugenics is wrong.

Because I believe each human being has intrinsic value.

Because I believe no person has the right or capacity to decide what genetic criteria are good for our species and what aren't.

Because I believe eugenics is wrong.

Because I believe each human being has intrinsic value.
Perhaps you could go into a little more detail as to why you believe those things.

Because I believe no person has the right or capacity to decide what genetic criteria are good for our species and what aren't.

So I have the incapacity to judge that having the genetic predisposition for violent, sociopathic behavior is undesirable? I'm incapable of judging that Huntington's disease is not good for a species?

See, you're starting out wrong.

Over 80% of babies with Down syndrome are aborted. Eugenics is here. Welcome to the brave new world.
Pretty much every individual with Down's syndrome is due to a new mutation caused by an error in meiosis (chromosomal nondisjunction).

So it's not that there's some gene for Down's syndrome that is being passed on. It's simply an error in the production of gametes.

So aborting every Down's syndrome fetus in one generation will not result in any decrease in Down's syndrome in the next generation.

Back