Ethics

sargentlard said:
Technically all animals have this sense to some extent don't they?

I think so, they have instincts that motivate them for sure. I was thinking of the stark difference in the ability to plan in humans vs. animals.

Yup, we do live quite long compared to many other species.

I think there is a miscommunication. My bad. By 'persistence in time' I mean "awareness that expands more than the moment". In the moment, we have access to a huge library of experience directly at our conscious whim. We have a conception of time that allows us to realize there is more than now to consider.

I, however, find that flexibility is just as much helped by our extra sense of perception....what we would call our intelligence.

I agree. I also think that's a logical extension of the premise "persistence in time adds flexibility regarding meeting the demands of survival". You couldn't get intelligent without persistence in time. Your history shapes your mind into something practical. Without that record, I'd wager intellect is not particularly advantageous as a survival tool.

When we prepare for future damages we go beyond what is really required to protect ourselves...to the point that we create our own dangers for ourselves.
I like the thought, but I don't think it's relevant since there are dangers regardless of yourself. If there is a net reduction in physical danger it's advantageous for survival.

"humans are animals, so saying that animals dont have ethics is kind of like a double negitive"

I never said that animals don't have ethics. All I said was why are humans the only known creature with ethics.

"What makes you think, Enigma, that animals don't have ethics? "

If chimps are our closest relative, and from what we observe, it doesn't seem like they have them, then it doesn't make sense that creatures more distantly related would have them.

What do you mean "we" pale face (a reference to that old joke about Tonto and the Lone Ranger surrounded by blood thirsty injuns)? I don't know where you are drawing your data but as far as I can tell, the simple desire to avoid pain and seek pleasure leads to much ethical behavior by most if not all species. Sure ours becomes quite convoluted with the advent of complex language but often this seems to result in a subversion of ethics rather than their creation.

Back