Ethics

Because they are the only ones that we know of who can reflect upon enough time at one time.

You're asking what caused us to evolve the intelligence to hold more than a few hours of time in our thoughts at one time?

That's a long conversation. Adversity certainly helped. When our line split from the chimps, we chose the savannah with it's more dangerous, wandering lifestyle. The chimp-like stayed in the woods and borderlands. They stayed chimps while we advanced to deal with finding the necessities of life in a harsh environment.

Another thought about evolution and ethics, is to look at it in a social context. We evolved as social animals. Much of our brain and present way of thinking is based solely on social issues. The extra benefits were a bonus.

Ethics is important to keep peace in a social group. If there were no sense of right and wrong behavior, the group would fragment. Groups need an underlying social order in which to flourish.

who says there is no ethics in other organisms?:D

yes I do admit that humans have brains much more active and bigger than other known organisms on Earth, but that does not mean we are the only one with ethics, defined as morality, and distinction between right and wrong

if you think about it, in the wild animal kingdom, for instance, when a lion takes over a pride, the lionesses won't mate with the new lion until he eliminates all her cubs with the previous lion, is that ethics? also, back in the Ice Age, Mammoths travel in groups, and when a member of the group fell into the ice and is struggling to get out, the rest of the group would sit there and wait, trying to help, and they would not leave until the suffering mammoth got out or died

Should those kinds of behaviour be classified as a form of ethics?:)

that's what I wanted to say

in ENCARTA DICTIONARY, ethics is defined as:
eth·ics [éthiks]
n
1. study of morality’s effect on conduct: the study of moral standards and how they affect conduct (takes a singular verb) Also called moral philosophy
2. code of morality: a system of moral principles governing the appropriate conduct for an individual or group (takes a plural verb)

morality is defined as:
mo·ral·i·ty [mə rállətee, màw rállətee]
(plural mo·ral·i·ties)
n
1. accepted moral standards: standards of conduct that are accepted as right or proper
2. how right or wrong something is: the rightness or wrongness of something as judged by accepted moral standards
3. moral lesson: a lesson in moral behavior

I think that animals do have ethics. They may not be human ethics, but they are ethics. Especially in social animals. The biggest difference is that animal's don't have the benefit of our brain to examine social structure. They are more in the moment, which inhibits their ethical motivations. A lot of their form of ethics is hardwired into them. Ours is as well, but we can affect that wiring by reflection.

it seems like it would be hard to tell the morals or ethics of other organisms, especially if they are only seen through a microscope

edit:yes, invert, that is true

I agree with you, Invert

the ethics I was talking about that occur in the wild animal kingdom are naturally-occuring behaviours, I think humans are able to have a more complex and confusing ethics, since we have developed more emotions and feelings

wesmorris said:
Being able to predict what is coming is a pretty decent survival tactic I think.

Predict?...or do you mean estimate after similar experiences?

or logically make an educated hypothesis by studying the patterns in the past

sargentlard said:
Predict?...or do you mean estimate after similar experiences?

yeah, that. we get an educated guess as to what it going to happen next. that has to be a huge evolutionary advantage. i suppose it seems like it's about flexibility. persistence in time allows you incredible flexibility as compared to less of the same no?

wesmorris said:
yeah, that. we get an educated guess as to what it going to happen next.

Technically all animals have this sense to some extent don't they?

persistence in time allows you incredible flexibility as compared to less of the same no?

Yup, we do live quite long compared to many other species. I believe we are #4 or somewhere near in the list of species with the longest life span. I, however, find that flexibility is just as much helped by our extra sense of perception....what we would call our intelligence. When we prepare for future damages we go beyond what is really required to protect ourselves...to the point that we create our own dangers for ourselves.

Every animals does this to some extent....we just specialize at it by merketing it and selling it.

definitely, flexibility and ability to adapt to new environments are the key

they helped us to survive the Ice Age, during which many other species like mammoth extinct

Homo saps appear to have a pretty high regard for themselves even though we are one of the most recent species and don't seem to know our niche yet. Ethics, I would hypothesize that many animals have a higher sense of morality than "schizoid man" (from King Crimson).

Back