ethical question

should people be alowed to sue for prenatal damage

• Total voters
If I was a fetal alcohol syndrome baby I would consider it. If I had the brain capacity to do so.
How would a damaged child sue? Wouldn't someone have to sue for them?
This is silly. Who are you going to sue? Some drugged out alcoholic crack whore?

If the mother is criminally negligent, put her in jail and try to adopt out the kid to a decent family.

Mad there is a solution to what your suggesting and that is that the STATE should sue them to recoup the costs associated with care (or as much as they can get for it). That way its not some greedy lawyer getting ritch.

We already have lots of lawyers employed by the goverment anyway in the DPP's office, in legal aid (even bells admits these are some of the best lawyers in the country, though they are over worked), in the ACCC, in the office of the public trustie ect

Its the last one i would assume would have to take the work

Let's not just focus on the mother here.

For example, let's assume that a mother is a victim of domestic abuse. She is choked by her rich boyfriend/husband/lesbian girlfriend/whatever, and the oxygen supply is cut off to the fetus. As a direct result, the baby is born with brain damage. Assume that we can prove this cause-effect to the satisifaction of the courts.

Should the child or its carer/guardian be able to sue?

Personally, I think Asguard raises a good point here. If you suffer from a severe handicap as a result of negligence by the mother (or some other human influence) during your prenatal development, why shouldn't you be entitled to sue?

under US law currently i belive there is not only civil but also criminal redress for the situation your discribing MH
Or is it only when the fetus dies?

Back