elohim

Yes OverTheStars there are links with ET's and certain people/events in the bible.

There is mention in the bible of fiery flying chariots, angels since not being of earth must be Extra-Terrestrial, there is mention of angels leaving their place in the heavens, taking human wivies, having Nephilim children with six fingers and six toes of which there are still born today people with six digits on hands and feet. There is mention of the war in the heavens and there is visual evidence of such a war. There was in our recent past ET's falling out of the sky, crashing, small craft like survival craft not the extremely large craft. It seems more recently it is only sightings of craft not necessarily crashes as there had been over the last 50 or so years. Enoch and Elijah were taken up to heaven in a chariot of fire, interesting also is dispute over Moses body.

If the religionosity is taken out of reading the bible, there is an amazing amount of information.
:D

The Bible is filled full of Fables, Fables aren't necessarily True stories but hold Parable Morals. Such stories were developed to help create an understanding of what right and wrong is without actually using enforcement through some governing body.

For instance, "The boy who cried wolf" is one that the Bible doesn't contain however it is still a story thats taught to children around the world so they know that lieing about something might mean people won't listen to you in the future.

As for all this ETI stuff that people Conjecturise into existance, It's said many people have seen strange events in the past in the skies, however do you ever hear of the people that believe in ET's mentioning the great occurances of Ergot Poisoning in the past. Such occurances cause Demonic behaviour while people were fighting against their own psychological ailments when dealing with this psychoactive fungi. Since the world at that time was filled with both religious banter and continued religious programmatic controls, it's too easy to suggest that those that began to hallucinate would have biblical things on their minds.

I will state this once more:
Causality suggests that if something occurs, then it has to have occured. With works of the bible being in existance for less than 3000 years (and some of which were actually rewrites of other religions) you could suggest it's had a great impact. Afterall without the churches existance perhaps the America's wouldn't have had settlers attempt to settle which would mean America would be completely different.

The way I see it, it will turn out in the future that the whole of religion was constructed by us in the future just so it exists in the future, however all those people will then realise they have been worshipping something that doesn't even exist, an absolute falsity.

They might as well start worshipping Startrek which is far more credible.

Stryderunknown wrote:
They might as well start worshipping Startrek which is far more credible.

Yes, but only until things start to break down. Can you imagine the religious debates once Trek Fandom (Reformed) breaks away from Orthodox Trek Fandom?

:eek:

Elohim is actually a plural term. There is some indication that early Judaism, or the tribal religions prior to the formation of Judaism, was polytheistic. Indeed, polytheism was a widely accepted notion in pre-historic and early historic times.

The earliest Hebrews were largely split and referred to their gods with two different terms. Hebrews of the south called god Yahweh and those of the north called him El or Elohim. Reading the Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Hebrew bible), one can see references to both Yahweh and "Lord Elohim" or "El-Shaddai." Gen 2:3 begins the Yahwist version of creation and is the simpler of the two versions. The other, more detailed version, is the Elohist version. Generally speaking, Yahwist accounts in the Pentateuch are concrete and to the point, whereas Elohist accounts are more intellectual and spoke of god in more abstract terms. The differences might arise from the cultural origin of the author(s) who blended the stories of the northern and southern tribes.

The origin of the plural "Elohim" rather than the use of the singular "El" has two basic hypotheses: 1) Elohim is simply used in the same manner to indicate status or significance, much the same way royalty uses "We." 2) Elohim is a linguistic artifact of a polytheistic age in proto-Judaism. The fact that El has a Semitic root that represented the divine father of lesser gods who ruled the various nations gives support to the polytheistic hypothesis. The Hebrew writers of the Pentateuch couldn't very well discount and alienate the northern tribes by excluding El, but also had to support the monotheistic canon.

That Elohim refers to some extraterrestrial entity is absurd and smacks of Raelian silliness.

The Elohim is not one god,...neither is it an angel.

Elohim means: GODS (plural)

it's a jewish name from the tora.

the bible wrongly translated this: GODS into GOD (single) maby even deliberately for concentrating power, whatever.

I think you'll find more info about this here:
http://www.rael.org/english/pages/summary/sum_quicksummary.html

and maby here:
The term Elohim can be used to describe every intelligent force that is separated from matter (i.e., spiritual instead of physical) . . . As such, it is eternal, and thus the term is used regarding G-d and His angels. It is also applied to judges because of their ability of reason [and power of discernment] . . . (Sforno, Bereishis 1:26)

Bringin up the nutso Raelians does not advance a rational argument.

"The Bible" did not mistranslate Elohim as Gods instead of God. It is merely a Hebrew idiom that the word means God instead of Gods. In Italian, the natural singular and plural forms are reversed when describing "thousands". 1000 = mille (plural ending), 2000 = due mila (singular ending).

The origin of the idiom may well be due to an original polythestic myth which was superceded by the myth of the one god, YHWH. There are other hints of polytheism in the Bible, notably Deutoronomy 32 which implies that El Elyon (God most High) allocated to YHWH the Israelites as his particular people, although I'm just reading about this theory in Thomas Thompson's The Bible in History and am not completely sure how sound it is.

The monotheistic Aton worship in Egypt only lasted for the reign of the pharaoh who introduced it, Akenaton. His heir was Tutankhaton, who upon achieving the throne was very quickly inveigled into changing his name back to Tutankhamun, under which name of course he has immortal fame, for all that he died at 18.

Stryderunknown's theory about Roman monotheism seems very strange to me - the Romans were distincly polytheistic until Constantine was converted to Christianity. I believe one emperor may have tried to change from Christianity to another form of monotheistic worship, called Mithraism, but again this did not last. The Holy Roman Empire stuck to monotheistic Christ worship for dogmatic Christian reasons, not because the various colonies were at war. In fact the more the outlying areas were at war with each other the less they were a problem. This could be said to be the cause of the final fall of the Roman Empire, because subject states did become united - under Mohammed.

STDD
Same Tactic Different Day
Keep them segregated, bickering over idioms of language.
A tactic that was used at the Tower of Babel; seems others have used this to their advantage.

no, I wrote:
the bible wrongly translated this: GODS into GOD (single)

you say I wrote,
"The Bible" did not mistranslate Elohim as Gods instead of God

God! you can't even read, how about that for starters?

Then you go on:
It is merely a Hebrew idiom that the word means God instead of Gods
no dude, it's the other way around, like I said:
it's a jewish name (for g_ds) from the tora.

I hate wise-asses who think they know better, but can't even read.

Fukushi:
no, I wrote:
the bible wrongly translated this: GODS into GOD (single)

you say I wrote,
"The Bible" did not mistranslate Elohim as Gods instead of God
God! you can't even read, how about that for starters?
This is not clear I will admit, although I thought what I wrote afterwards clarified my meaning, but I mistyped. What I meant to say was: "The Bible" did not mistranslate Elohim as God instead of Gods. But I did not say you wrote that, that was what I was saying in opposition to you.

You also evidently missed my secondary meaning when I emphasised that you said "The bible", which you did. The Bible does not translate or mistranslate. The Hebrew bible was written and English and other language bibles are translations. Translators do the translating and translated "Elohim" as God. But I was explaining that this was not a mis-translation
Then you go on:

It is merely a Hebrew idiom that the word means God instead of Gods

no dude, it's the other way around, like I said:
it's a jewish name (for g_ds) from the tora.
This is the exact point I was making. Elohim literally means "Gods" because it is a plural. Nonetheless anywhere in the Torah you see the word Elohim it means GOD. The ONE God, Yaweh of the Torah.
I hate wise-asses who think they know better, but can't even read.
And I hate wise-asses who cannot recognise a (obvious I thought) typo when they read it and consequently misunderstand an entire post, and then get insulting about it. You do not know better: Elohim means GOD, not GODS even though it's a plural.

divine sapience (and Fukushi), what the Raelians state as fact is nothing more than science fiction. I would rather they were not brought into this discussion merely because they latched onto the word "Elohim" and have put Hebrew "im" plurals on everything. "Delphinim" = dolphinoid aliens.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Our helix is not complete,...so we were not created equally

and Silas: that ONE god you're talking about is not ONE god,...it's a unity, if you fail to see this,...too bad.

May peace enlight all our ways whatever direction we choose to take.
Greetz
Fukushi

Actually mono-theism is a more modern concept... The old testament is filled with references legitmizing other individuals/ cultures Gods.

Elohhim-- is essentially the hebrew translation for God.

The bible has passages from which it is stated to the effects, The Lord (yhwh) promised this land to us (abraham) similar to your God "baal" promised to you.. Aren't we as entitled to our land, as you are to yours?

the book and chapter escape my memory, but if anyone is interested in this i will look it up..

also to note some examples:

1. Exodus ch 15 v 11
who is like to you among the gods o' lord, who is like to you, magnificent in holiness.

Key note: among the GODS

Last edited:
Just another small point...

Genesis 1:26

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our
likeness

:bugeye:

That bit always confused me...

i am wondering.....many of you seem to believe you are capable of making translations of the word from hebrew to english........
raise your hand if you can read biblical hebrew!
*raises hand*
*waits for others*
i will only elaborate if someone is interested in actually knowing what the word means.

My personal opinion on the whole aspect of the roots of religion suggests that you shouldn't bother even disputing whats written or not because the roots of religion suggest a power game played by people that without collaberation would have had their voices go unheard. (imagine a number of religious groups appearing across multiple empires, where people collected money and followers in an attempt to gain power and wealth. In turn such heirarchy that controlled those empires would have attempted to hunt down the ringleaders and bring them to a very swift justice, which in turn would have been seen by those newly created followers as martyrs to their cause.)

The Devil Inside said:
i am wondering.....many of you seem to believe you are capable of making translations of the word from hebrew to english........
raise your hand if you can read biblical hebrew!
*raises hand*
*waits for others*
i will only elaborate if someone is interested in actually knowing what the word means.
*keeps hand down*

Good point, The Devil Inside. I am, however, interested in knowing what the word means from someone who can read and understand Biblical Hebrew.

elohim (alhim) is a word that means "god", sure. but....it IS a plural word. it stands for the 5 vessels of creation called "parzufin". essentially, it means "one of the ten faces of god that can be percieved in the material state".
"and ahim said 'let us make man in our image' " basically is saying that man is an amalgam of many different traits of god.

hope that clears things up a bit....if needed, i can give a more detailed explanation.
:)

Back