Elective caesarean sections

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
Should a woman be allowed to choose between vaginal and caesarean birth WHEN no medical reasons are present???

Well, maybe I should have posted under the Biology section. Nevertheless, since the death rate for C-section birth is 4 times more than vaginal birth, I could argue that unless medical reasons are presents, why endanger the mother and/or the child?

The point is, that it isn't just her body. Also a c-section costs more, thus increasing the insurance cost which is also paid by you and me...

"Babies born by caesarean sometimes have some initial trouble breathing. In addition, because the baby may be drowsy from the pain medication administered to the mother, and because the mother's mobility is reduced, breastfeeding may be difficult."

Also look at it this way: If the baby is having a higher chance of losing his/her mother, that is a danger itself...

Wouldn't a C-section be less stressful to a baby?
No getting their head squished in the birth canal. No getting squished by contractions. No worry about the cord being wrapped around their neck and they come through.

Wouldn't a C-section be less stressful to a baby?
No getting their head squished in the birth canal. No getting squished by contractions. No worry about the cord being wrapped around their neck and they come through.

A vaginal birth is better for the baby because as the baby comes down through the birth canal, the pressure exerted on it actually forces all the amniotic fluid from its lungs. After a C-section, the doctors have to push tubes down the baby's throat to try to suck out that fluid so the baby can breath and also to minimise the risk of infection later on.

Babies born by C-sections can also have the cord wrapped around the neck, just as much as those born naturally can. C-sections also have the added risk of heavy bleeding during and after the surgery along with a plethora of other risks. Lets not beat around the bush, a caesarean is major abdominal surgery. Why anyone would elect to do it is beyond me.

I had an emergency C-section for my second child when the birth went very wrong.. and I had a natural birth for my first child and if I were ever in a position to choose between the two, I'd take the natural birth. After the C-section, not only are you in agonising pain and on mophine for well over 24 hours, you can't cough or laugh without holding onto your belly, you can't walk for 24 hours, you can't drive for well over a month, you can't lift anything above your head for 6 weeks. With a natural birth, you have some discomfort that panadol takes care of and you're able to drive yourself home if you so choose. You can cough, lift things above your head (as in hang out washing).. The recovery time for a natural birth is minimal compared to a caesarean.

Orleander:

I realise bell has answered this but there are studies (sorry i dont have them to hand all my uni stuff dissapeard at the end of the semester) showing that babies born by C-section have higher risk of long term respertry problems. Also if bell says that breast feeding is harder that in itself is a problem as breast feed babies are statstically smarter and definitly have a stronger immune system as they recive there mothers. As well as that there is a simpler pain managment alternitive (ie an epidural). Hell i was talking to my mum about when i was born and dad said the fact that the epidural removed all the pain, she actually fell asleep when giving birth to me, it was that easy for her.

There really is no advantage in a c-section unless clinical reasons dictate one.

Oh and as for its the womans body, that argument may work for abortions but doesnt work for birth. If the baby is serverly damaged by a c-section when there was no clinical reason for it then that child would have a strong case for child abuse

The wife of my husband's best friend elected to have a C-section when she had her first child. The thought of childbirth scared her because she thought it would be too painful and might damage her "nether regions". They are now trying for their second child and she has stated she will be having it naturally if she can because of the pain and difficulties she faced after the caesarean birth. She told me recently she can still remember when I had my first and how I was walking around and lifting the baby and giving him his bath without any problems at all. With the second my husband had to do it all because I simply could not do it.. She had the same issues after her c-section.

I'll never forget when I held my second child for the second time time 2 days after he was born (we were both in intensive care.. he was in for longer due to the emergency of the birth) when they brought him in to me in his little crib, hooked up with all sorts of wires. He sneezed and then choked when a large amount of amniotic fluid that was still coming out of his lungs. He went blue and the midwives had to grab him back and perch him nearly upside down, while smacking him on his back.. he was then rushed back into neo-natal. I was devastated. I had been allowed to hold him the first time, 5 hours after he was born, as I was being taken to intensive care because I had not even seen him and they all agreed that after all that had happened, I should at least get to hold him.. that first hold was the hardest.. I only got to hold him for about 10 seconds before he had to be put back into his crib and his oxygen and monitors put back on..:bawl:.. Was horrible.

Did you have PTD later?

By PTD, I am guessing you mean pre-term delivery? The baby was full term and I had an emergency while in labour (placental abruption during labour), which resulted in their having to perform a c-section. My first child was born naturally. The second was an emergency caesarean. As a result, I have been told I should not try for a third child as it could prove to be too dangerous.

My sensear sympathys bell. Hope he is better now

He's fine now.:) Those first few weeks were hard because he ended up bring up the amniotic fluid in his lungs for ages afterwards.. sometimes he would choke on it while he slept.. was horrible really. Never had any of those issues with the first who was born naturally. Our friend who had the elective c-section also had the same issues with her child.. he ended up having a respiratory infection 2 weeks after he was born. Was nasty.

That is the other problem with C-sections (although i cant comment on bells case), they can cause complications which can stop further pregnancies. Yes there can be complications with any birth but the chances are much higher with a c-section

And thats good to hear bell:)

By PTD, I am guessing you mean pre-term delivery?

No, that was for Post Trauma Depression. Some websites consider C-section as a trauma. But it was my bad because what I meant was PPD, post partum depression.
I am doing research on the psychological aspects of C-section for the mother, that's why I asked....

It is getting very fashionable to have C-section. Today it is like 29% in the USA and 25% in the UK. There are many factors why it has been increasing, one of them insurance considerations for the doctor. The number is way too high and they use it too often. Apparently the woman can ask for elective C-section even if it is not warranted by medical emergency, thus the thread....

I belive although im not 100% sure that is banned in Australia. C-sections can only be used if there is a clinical reason or high risk to mother or baby.

But as i said im not 100% sure

I would sugest you try the Mercy hospital in melbourne, The Royal womens in Melbourn, The Womens and Childrens in Adelade or the Universities of Sydney, Flinders, Adelade, Monash uni, Melbourne Uni

They may have the resurch your after

Also try the Royal collage of gynicologists and obstitrictions

No, that was for Post Trauma Depression. Some websites consider C-section as a trauma. But it was my bad because what I meant was PPD, post partum depression.
I am doing research on the psychological aspects of C-section for the mother, that's why I asked....

I'll be honest. I suffered from severe depression after the birth of my second child. It was not only due to the caesarean itself, but also due to the trauma of what happened just prior to that and immediately afterwards as well. Thankfully I have a wonderful husband who was understanding and a good family and friend support to help me through it. I found it hard to adapt to what had happened to me... I literally felt like an invalid for weeks, barely able to pick up the baby without feeling pain and the other issues associated with a caesarean birth was also a constant issue for me. I felt helpless and frankly, hopeless. I couldn't pick up and cuddle my first child and for at least 3 weeks, I could not let him sit in my lap, due to the pain.. and that was really hard on me. I felt as though I had become a bad mother because I was not able to care for my children due to the recovery time. It wasn't easy at all for me. I remember sometimes just wanting to curl up in a dark corner and just crying and sometimes I did.

I suspect most women don't go through what I did, but I personally found it to be a horrible experience and not one I would ever volunteer for. In the case of an emergency, a c-section is essential. But to do it by choice? No. The dangers and the pain and suffering is simply not worth it.. personally speaking.

I still suffer from bouts of mild depression, even after nearly 10 months afterwards, but that's to be expected I guess. I listened to my doctor and just took it a day at a time.. For me at least, I was lucky in that time allowed me to recover not only physically, but also mentally as well.

Is a c-section trauma? I think the answer to that is yes. Major surgery is always a 'trauma'. Many seem to view a c-section as a minor operation, but it is not. A caesarean is major abdominal surgery, which carries a lot of risks and dangers (to both mother and the baby) and should be done in the case of an emergency. I personally think that the medical profession, especially in the field of obstetrics, do not voice the seriousness of c-sections enough. It should not even be an option. It should only be used for emergency situations. Many women enter into agreements to have a c-section, without fully knowing the inherent dangers and risks, nor are they fully aware of just how long the recovery time is and the limitations placed upon them during that time. Women now days seem to think that a c-section results in a pain free birth.. I remember one pregnancy book referring to it as a fresh vagina birth.. but it is not at all. While the birth may be pain free since the mother is either numbed totally from the waist down or has been put completely under (like I was), after the birth, the pain lingers for weeks on end. Having had both a natural birth and a c-section, I would never elect to have a c-section. It was a traumatic experience as well as a very long and painful road to recovery.

I belive although im not 100% sure that is banned in Australia. C-sections can only be used if there is a clinical reason or high risk to mother or baby.

But as i said im not 100% sure

I would sugest you try the Mercy hospital in melbourne, The Royal womens in Melbourn, The Womens and Childrens in Adelade or the Universities of Sydney, Flinders, Adelade, Monash uni, Melbourne Uni

They may have the resurch your after

Also try the Royal collage of gynicologists and obstitrictions

You can elect to have a c-section in Australia... no reason or cause needed. The wife of my husband's best friend simply told them she did not want a vaginal birth and opted for a c-section and that was it..

Besides which if its pain management your after an epidural will be given (at least here it will be) for a natural birth at the mothers request, no questions asked. As i said mum fell asleep with giving birth to me because she had no pain at all after the epidural.

EDIT to add:

Really? was she a private or a public patient? They must have changed the procidures because I had herd that doctors were prevented from giving them except for clinical reasons but as i said i wasnt sure

Besides which if its pain management your after an epidural will be given (at least here it will be) for a natural birth at the mothers request, no questions asked. As i said mum fell asleep with giving birth to me because she had no pain at all after the epidural.

My epidural didn't take when I had my first. I was left without movement of my legs, writhing in agony and sucking on the gas for about 8 hours until I was given a boost to take the pain away as the baby crowned.

Really? was she a private or a public patient? They must have changed the procidures because I had herd that doctors were prevented from giving them except for clinical reasons but as i said i wasnt sure
She was a private patient. I know of several women who were public patients who also requested a c-section because they did not want to have a vaginal birth and all of them were told yes. All but 1 of them went through with it as the others changed their minds later on in the pregnancy. The midwives and doctors will push for a natural birth but it is up to the mother whether she wants to go through with it or not.. barring any problems that may arise which would deem a c-section as being necessary.

When I had my second, I had it in a public hospital, due to my having a difference of opinion with the private hospital in their procedures and I went in as a private patient in the public hospital and they too asked me if I was 'planning on having a natural birth'. I had said yes but circumstances intervened resulting in a c-section.

Back