Einstein and Religion

Godless said:
The "Einstein appeal phenomenon" is a logical fallacy used by both sides of the atheist/theist debate. The fallacy is called: "Appeal to Misleading Authority"

Example: Authority A believes that P is true.
Therefore, P is true.

So there you have it, that's the "Einstein appeal phenomenon"
Right on! :)

Cris said:
Religion has never helped reveal anything about physics. But science throughout the ages has gradually eroded pretty much everything religions have claimed about the universe. I fully expect that trend will continue unabated.

Science IS the new religion. We believe in the new God of "Objective Truth". It is mysterious, beyond us, ultimately unknowable (noumenous) and by it we can control our world (we think). The way to this God is revealed to us through the scientific method. Many people believe that this God alone can reveal the Truth, it alone can save us, and that all other gods are false.

This is nothing new, one religion has replaced another one many times before.
We'll find out it's limitations someday, become dissatisfied and latch onto something else to believe in.

DD,

No, that is a poor perception. There is only a single paradigm - knowledge. In the past there was little and people substituted fantasies through ignorance. As time passes we gain more knowledge and the fantasies are gradually replaced and ignorance subsides.

What we label the various phases is unimportant, there is simply a single process throughout where the balance of ignorance vs knowledge shifts from one to the other.

Diogenes' Dog said:
Science IS the new religion. We believe in the new God of "Objective Truth". It is mysterious, beyond us, ultimately unknowable (noumenous) and by it we can control our world (we think). The way to this God is revealed to us through the scientific method. Many people believe that this God alone can reveal the Truth, it alone can save us, and that all other gods are false.

This is nothing new, one religion has replaced another one many times before.
We'll find out it's limitations someday, become dissatisfied and latch onto something else to believe in.
You seemed to be a reasonably rational fellow. Do you really believe this? If you do, I would enjoy seeing a list of points of comparison between religion and science and what you think makes them the same basic thing.

What exactly does that mean?

By that I mean you could trawl through his posts and quote his religious faith and belief in the existence of an actual God. This can not be done with Einstein. Hence, I am confused why he pigeon holes himself with Einstein.

It is certainly possible that Einstein had more than a single view on complex religious matters throughout the entire course of his long life.

It's interesting to see theists put science and scientists down all the time and then spend ridiculous amounts of time and energy trying to show those same scientists were theists all along.

That's because Einstein was a physicist, not a biologist. God hates biologists didn't you know.

It's interesting to see theists put science and scientists down all the time and then spend ridiculous amounts of time and energy trying to show those same scientists were theists all along.

What really is iteresting, is that at the same time theist try and put science down, they are using a freaking devise. "computer, internet, etc.." that has been developed cause of science in the first place. :confused:

Hipocrites

Godless

It makes no difference to me if Einstein believed in God or not. Let's just say he doesn't believe in God. Or not a personal God. It doesn't matter, it's pointless to keep arguing about it. We are here to discuss religion and science and I found that link so I just thought I would share it for anyone interested.

And yes, I believe in God. Yes, I'm allowed to have ideas/beliefs that just happen to have a few things common with Einstein's as other people do. And not every theist believes in fairy tales or that the basis of their religion doesn't have to be based on scientific knowledge. Any true religion, a foundation of laws/morals, has to run parallel with the laws of science, in my opinion. But science is also the possibility, or actually, the truth that there will always be things we don't understand or know. A true scientist builds upon known science but realizes known science was not always known and at previous times what we see as real science now sometimes used to be thought of as mere fantasy. God is always a possibility to a scientist.

If for no other reason its because the thread is titled "Einstein and religion"

Right on. Let me rephrase it: Why would anyone give a shit whether Einstein believed in a god, gods, leprechauns or nothing? (I already know the answer so don't feel the need to explain, I just stated it in the hopes that people would ask themselves that question).

You may not respect his genius but many do, so that makes his opinion a valuable source of reference.

Where's the relevance? What has respecting a man for his advances in physics, much like I respect a chef for cooking a good meal, got to do with his personal opinions regarding the existence or non-existence of space fairies?

lightgigantic said:
Actually just wanted to know if you guys consider the defeat of christianity the defeat of everything in the nameof religion

M*W: Although the defeat of christianity is, in fact, underway, its worldwide decline will absolutely NOT be the defeat of "everything" in the name of religion. Christianity is not the dominant world religion its members would like to argue. The actual statistics put christianity at 1/3 of the population with Islam and the remaining religions at 2/3 of the world's population. Out of the 1/3 that are christian, there are some 34,000 different sects of christianity, with Roman Catholicism being the largest entity. The members of these 34,000 different sects believe their church is the only true church, so there is obvious division within christianity. So, in reality, not all of the world's christian population are actually christian. By that I mean how many of them call themselves "members" when they never set foot in a church? The statistics are, therefore, skewed.

The defeat of christianity may have some kind of impact on other worldwide religions and, of course, the christian fanatics will need to find some other religion to control their asses. However, I do believe that with the defeat of christianity, the other 2/3 of the world's population may wisen up and realize that all religion is a man-made farce.

Why would the defeat of christianity herald the defeat of religion as a whole? Is it because the countries that have money and military might at the moment are predominantly christian?

Practically we see that a civilisation is lucky if it can avoid having the rug pulled out from underneath it for 100 years - of course the most recent civilisation to fall on its butt was great Britain that won WW2 but lost alot of $$ (or rather pounds - but I guess the absence of its character on the keyboard speaks for itself) - so perhaps it wasn't such a great paradigm shift to go from one approach to christianity to another, but still you can see that if one religion perishes or becomes unpopular the phenomena still continues unheeded

Is the defeat of christianity synonymous with the defeat

Is it because the countries that have money and military might at the moment are predominantly christian?

This is probably what gets the goat of Islamists. They are the most dominant religion on Earth but have to watch Christian (infidel) countries take all the spoils.

(or rather pounds - but I guess the absence of its character on the keyboard speaks for itself)

It's uhh.. on English keyboards..

£££££££

Americans might not have a pound sign, but they still type in our language.

If the british did one good thing it was to get most of the world speaking the same language. English can get you through practically everywhere on the globe.

It got the goat of the christians during the crusades as well - I think that goat gets around during a lot of historical periods up to the present

If the british did one good thing it was to get most of the world speaking the same language. English can get you through practically everywhere on the globe.

It has it's down sides. Just the other day I was sitting on the train and there were a young Japanese {?} couple giggling away with each other. For a moment I actually respected the ability to have a perverted conversation without anyone else understanding what you're saying, (I'm assuming it was a perverted conversation.. I had to judge by body language).

It's why i've always wanted to learn Japanese. Everytime I see Japanese people they're always giggling at each other oblivious to those around them. I'd love to just butt in right in the middle with some well spoken Japanese just to see the look on their faces.

Back