Egyptian girl strips to protest; western media censors her photos

lol. i have to repeat that she is really naive. she must think that western media with it's hyper-sexualization means liberation of females. she doesn't seem to notice that most people clothe themselves for a reason, dignity and privacy because people do view nudity in a sexual way because there are sexual parts exposed.

playboy/playgirl, for example, is not gaining anyone any type of respect but just an exercise in a certain type of personal freedom or more truthfully, a societal demand for such nude gratuitous pictures. if one wants to be viewed as a sex object, then that is the route to go which some people don't seem to mind or they think they are being admired by people jacking off to their image like they are a piece of meat.

maybe her intent is to say that nudity is natural. lol

perhaps if everyone walked around naked, we would become desensitized and no one would get titillated. lol

if only guys would do this more often, rather than women. expose themselves and make a stand that they have a right to be viewed as sexual objects/morsels of pleasure by females. lol

The point is that I would never moderate someone I detested or thought was a douche because it could be viewed as being biased. Ergo I have never moderated you or threatened you with moderation or with a ban nor will I ever.:)

I bet you love each other really.

How could you detest GeoffP.
He's great!

That's interesting. I don't think we are TTYTT. I think we're more terrified of violating taboo. The fear of being ostracized for violating religious taboo. Seeing a nude??? I don't think that is all that terrifying. Violence OTOH, that is terrifying. Innately terrifying. Arts, like Aliaa, I think they're attuned to that (whether well thought out or otherwise) and they know somethings' wrong with society and they want to see it changed, righted. I think she's very brave. In a way 20 year olds sometimes are.
But why is it a taboo? If I read the above it is like our taboos are random, so if there is fear around a taboo, it is fear of breaking the taboo. And of course we are afraid of breaking taboos, but they are taboos, often at least, and I think clearly in this case, because of our fears around sex. Terror of where sexual passion will lead. Terror of inadequacy. Terror of creating pregnancies that go against other taboos and social structures. Terror of sex that will do this. And a whole lot of other stuff, that is more disruptive on a feeling level than even violence. We think that desire would tear the fabric of our existence apart even more than violence would.

Bells, one can show the pictures of torture without further demeaning the people involved by also showing their genetalia.

I would think their torture was more demeaning, wouldn't you? I would think or imagine being tortured and then being posed while being tortured for arsewipes to take photos while standing next to them grinning like fools would be more demeaning. What do you think is more demeaning to the victims of torture? Being tortured and photographed? Or having their genetalia shown in photos during said torture and killings?

Indeed that was PART of their mistreatment and in posting their naked images you are just continuing their mistreatment.
Ah, good point. But I would imagine the whole image of them being tortured would be more demeaning, no? Why focus just on pixellating the genetalia? Do you think it was to protect and be sensitive to those being tortured? Or was it to protect those such as yourself who find it somewhat offensive to see someone's genetalia in the papers?

I would be willing to be the victim's pain and suffering and humiliation had nothing to do with why their genetalia was blanked out.

Let's consider another scenario, and see how it plays out.

A women is beaten and raped and left naked on the side of the road.

She manages to make it into town, but before she gets there someone takes a full frontal picture of her.

The newspaper prints the story of what happened to her.

Should they also include the full frontal nude picture taken of her?
You view the photo of this girl's blog akin to images of a woman being raped? Ermmm okay..

Not that long ago in Melbourne Australia, a group of school boys filmed themselves committing various crimes, including the rape and torture of a 16-17 year old mentally disabled girl. They then uploaded the movie onto youtube and made dvd copies which they sold at their school and a neighbouring school for $5 each. When the story broke of their crime, the general media played many parts of the girl's assault.

One of the most disturbing filmed attacks has become known simply as the "Werribee DVD". Last year, 11 youths pleaded guilty to making a film that showed them inflicting gross and degrading abuse on a 17-year-old girl on the western fringes of Melbourne. The film, excerpts of which were aired on a national current affairs TV show, shows the boys urinating and spitting on the girl, poking her with sticks and setting fire to her hair, before throwing her clothes in a river and up trees. They forced the girl, who has a learning disability, to perform sex acts and wrote their film's title, C***, The Movie, across her breasts. On the video, which was sold at Melbourne schools for $5, one boy is heard to say, "Fuck, she's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

How about when American soldiers in Iraq took photos of themselves raping a young woman and the media printed those images [Warning, photos are graphic in this story].

Is refraining from publishing her naked image censorship or is it being sensitive to the abuse she has already endured?
The girl in Egypt has not been abused though.

Should the images be published? If the victim allows it, yes. I think it sheds a light on what people are capable of. As with the case of the American soldiers who took photos of themselves raping that girl, the Government deemed it bad to publish the images in the end because it might endanger soldiers. Which really was hilarious. It wasn't to protect the victim of the rape, but to protect American soldiers serving there. So don't kid yourself.

Anywho, I'm off to bed. Hospital tomorrow.

But why is it a taboo? If I read the above it is like our taboos are random, so if there is fear around a taboo, it is fear of breaking the taboo. And of course we are afraid of breaking taboos, but they are taboos, often at least, and I think clearly in this case, because of our fears around sex. Terror of where sexual passion will lead. Terror of inadequacy. Terror of creating pregnancies that go against other taboos and social structures. Terror of sex that will do this. And a whole lot of other stuff, that is more disruptive on a feeling level than even violence. We think that desire would tear the fabric of our existence apart even more than violence would.

no, it's not that. and it already has and we know the effects of that, rape and oppression of women. it's that women have been viewed as sexual objects traditionally, not men. for example, there are more pictures of naked women than men.

in her culture, women can't show themselves at all so that is what she is protesting by her extreme act. one extreme act for another. how that changes in the positive for women in her country/culture is up in the air. it has no effect in western media except that men who do see her naked will just see a naked female.

i can see her logic but it can go both positive and negative. there are men who would love to see women expose themselves for their own gratuitous pleasure but at the same time, women may then be less oppressed and be more natural and express their sexuality as well as beauty without being demonized for the lack of self-restraint or lack of respect for the female sex.

the extreme oppression by forcing women to cover themselves overtly is also an indication of viewing women as sex objects. men would be just as annoyed, restricted and offended if women viewed them as sex objects and forced them to cover themselves overtly not expressing their masculinity, chests, muscles, tight buns and possibly view their 'package' as something to be leered at while blaming them for any type of 'assault' on them titillating and tempting women, so they are asking for it. lol

How about when American soldiers in Iraq took photos of themselves raping a young woman and the media printed those images [Warning, photos are graphic in this story].

The episode with the boys in Australia makes me wonder why these boys hate women so much.
It wasn't a part of my boyhood, so what is different now?
Honestly, we were confused by them, attracted and repelled by them, a little afraid of them,
but we didn't hate them. How could things have gone so wrong?
As for the video, I don't want to watch it, or see images from it.

The second example you give, of the soldiers.
A terrible episode.
But I won't watch that either.
Would voyeurism on my part help matters?

Why should I fill my brain with images of violence and hatred?

Last edited:
Why should I fill my brain with images of violence and hatred?

It's not about "filling ones brain with images of violence and hatred,"
but a matter of acknowledging the reality of life on planet Earth
and trying to find a way to live without denying reality.

what right do men have to walk around exposing their muscles?

or how about a cute ass? do we have a right to slap it or grab it?

do we have a right to leer at their 'package' like men leer at women's breasts, even if clothed?

if a man receives unwanted advances or is leered at like he's a piece of meat or is grabbed, is he asking for it?

then he should cover up any manliness that may get a woman excited and definitely not have a cute ass. if he does, he needs to cover it up and wear a burqa or try to look as unattractive as possible so that he exudes no sense of male sexuality or attractiveness. stop exposing your muscled arms and chest at the beach. it makes women fantasize about strong arms holding her. this is temptation and he's asking for it, rape by a female. alright? lol.

Last edited:
The point is that I would never moderate someone I detested or thought was a douche because it could be viewed as being biased. Ergo I have never moderated you or threatened you with moderation or with a ban nor will I ever.:)

Another insult - shocka, really. As I said, has been done before, and I yawn at your implied threat above.

The point actually is that you would like to shut me up (some other mods have, in the past, had the same wet dream), and that you don't like it when I comment on some of your unbalanced behaviour, to the point that you go increasingly off the rails when we start arguing in earnest. And that's fine: we're well past the point at which I take you too seriously.

I bet you love each other really.

I think that might be a one-way slightly stalky street. Fortunately, most of the peeping appears to be at a false address.

How could you detest GeoffP.
He's great!

It's so true.

I would think their torture was more demeaning, wouldn't you? I would think or imagine being tortured and then being posed while being tortured for arsewipes to take photos while standing next to them grinning like fools would be more demeaning. What do you think is more demeaning to the victims of torture? Being tortured and photographed? Or having their genetalia shown in photos during said torture and killings?

You miss the entire point, it's not about what is more or less demeaning, it's about there being no reason to perpetuate their embarrasment by publishing naked pictures of them.

Yes it was important to the story to explain that they were stripped naked, even to the use of pixilated images to make their situation clear, but there is no point of further humiliating them by republishing pictures of their genetalia.

Ah, good point. But I would imagine the whole image of them being tortured would be more demeaning, no? Why focus just on pixellating the genetalia? Do you think it was to protect and be sensitive to those being tortured? Or was it to protect those such as yourself who find it somewhat offensive to see someone's genetalia in the papers?

Once again you miss the point. I have no problem at all with viewing their genetalia. I personally have very little problem with nudity except for hygenic issues associated with public nudity, but I think you need to be sensitive to the VICTIMS and there is no reason to just perpetuate their degrading treatment.

You view the photo of this girl's blog akin to images of a woman being raped? Ermmm okay..

No Bells I don't and you know that's not what I said.
But you simply attempted to twist it to avoid answering the question I asked:

A women is beaten and raped and left naked on the side of the road.

She manages to make it into town, but before she gets there someone takes a full frontal picture of her.

The newspaper prints the story of what happened to her.

Should they also include the full frontal nude picture taken of her?

As you claimed: Her images pertained to the subject matter

Is refraining from publishing her naked image censorship or is it being sensitive to the abuse she has already endured?

As to your Melbourne Story.
I never saw the video but if the Media furthered her humiliation and degradation by these boys by exploiting her image for profit then they should be taken to task.

It would appear that they balanced the images and pixilating portions of them between getting the story across and not exploiting her image.

The girl in Egypt has not been abused though.

So?
That doesn't mean that media has to republish her picture.
But not publishing something is NOT the same as censoring it.

Should the images be published? If the victim allows it, yes. I think it sheds a light on what people are capable of. As with the case of the American soldiers who took photos of themselves raping that girl, the Government deemed it bad to publish the images in the end because it might endanger soldiers. Which really was hilarious.

According to your previous link the soldiers were convicted and sentenced to prision. The trial and punishment shows what people are capable of and that if caught, you will be punished for that behavior. More graphic pictures than what was shown are not needed to accomplish that.

Arthur

Last edited:
It's not about "filling ones brain with images of violence and hatred,"
but a matter of acknowledging the reality of life on planet Earth
and trying to find a way to live without denying reality.

Have you checked out these two videos?
The one of the women-hating schoolboys,
and the one of the women-hating soldiers.
If so, are you now more informed about the subject than myself?
How?

@GeoffP
I think that might be a one-way slightly stalky street. Fortunately, most of the peeping appears to be at a false address.

Yes, I got that impression myself.
It's like one of those old Humphrey Bogart films.
First she's drumming her puny fists on Bogie's manly chest,
and then she swoons into his arms.

Last edited:
You could be right I suppose. People differ.
Personally, I don't think in visual images.
I almost exclusively think in words.

But the people who did those things may well be mentally damaged by them.
Many of the people mentally crippled by their experiences of war, are crippled by their own deeds.
Traumatising deeds, whether through heroism, wickedness, or necessity.

I doubt that it is good for one's own mental health to view other peoples most traumatising moments.
Either you are viewing what they did as they did, in its full intensity, which will damage you too, or you are viewing it as a fiction.
If you are viewing it as fiction then it is desensitising.

In order to fully understand someone being struck by a bullet,
you would need to be struck by a bullet yourself.
But that would injure you, wouldn't it?

You can also be injured by images,
but the injury is not so acute or visible.

Last edited:
In Buddhism, there is the practice to reflect daily on the horrors of aging, illness and death, in their various forms. This is followed by the encouragement for oneself to live in line with the Dharma - to act skillfully and in such a manner that warrants merit.

I don't think a secular morality can meaningfully accomodate being exposed to violence - or aging, illness and death.

So for people who have nothing but a secular morality, it is probably better to ignore (at least in some ways) aging, illness and death, at least in the short term, although I am not sure that such ignoring is good in the long term.
Aging, illness and death are realities we live in, and ignoring them sooner or later makes us vulnerable to them.

I find such things sobering.

Not the same thing as being more informed though.

Like CK, when I read a story about a woman being raped and left naked on the side of the road, I don't feel I need to see a picture of her naked body to impress upon me what happened to her.

Indeed I would think that helping a victim of rape to recover and again have a feeling of normalcy would not include posting a naked picture of her on the front page of the paper, a video of her walking naked down the street on the evening news and a close up of her vagina on a thousand internet sites.

Arthur

Right, because the drag on Sci's reputation here is not the blatant trolling and flame posts, but Fraggle's distaste for such.
Thanks for the support. I often feel like I am alone in my desire to restore SciForums to what it was ten years ago when I joined, even though the Admins have charged us with that task.

Most of our members are young, and in any case this is not an academy, so a certain amount of trash-talking and other foolishness must be welcomed if we expect to have enough members to survive. We even have an entire subforum dedicated to socializing. But I insist that intellectual dishonesty must NEVER be tolerated, and I often find myself at odds with some of the other moderators on that issue. In their defense it must be acknowledged that it's damnably difficult to spot if the perpetrator is really skillful at it.
Then there's saying that in your opinion all members of religion X are offensive personal insult Y, which is absolutely unacceptable.
I doubt very much that I've ever said that in my life, since I've always lived in large cosmopolitan cities where my neighbors, colleagues and even friends represent all the major religions, and they're no more offensive than anybody else.
Opinions about religions should also be backed up with appropriate evidence or argument, as is standard for any topic discussed here.
I've posted my evidence many times.
  • The fundamental premise that underlies all science and defines the scientific method is that the natural universe is a closed system (using a colloquial definition of that phrase to avoid expanding this to twelve lines) whose behavior can be predicted by theories derived logically from empirical evidence of its present and past behavior.
  • This premise has been tested exhaustively for five centuries.
  • Many of those who have tested it would dearly love to disprove it, if only to see their picture on the cover of Newsweek.
  • Yet no respectable evidence has ever been presented that comes close to challenging it.
  • Therefore, any assertion of the existence of an invisible, illogical supernatural universe, from which creatures and other forces whimsically and often peevishly perturb the operation of the natural universe so that our theories are invalidated, is, indeed, antiscience.
By the way, wouldn't this discussion between the two of you (or the three of us, as it may be now) be better had in the Moderator's forum?
Yes. But Bells generally does not agree with that way of processing our dirty laundry. She's both intelligent and honorable so I'm sure her reasons have some validity, and therefore I'm not going to fight over it.
Yet if she called you an "asshole" for being an "asshole", she'd be banned.
Not by me. Yes, I did indeed once ban a member for gratuitous and excessive profanity, but specifically because it was gratuitous and excessive. It wasn't even particularly clever so it could not be defended on the grounds of its literary merit. When a post becomes nothing more than a showcase for invective, whether profane or not, it crosses the line into trolling.
This isn't garbage though. Do you think censoring a girl's photo because she showed her bits in it, in a country known for its bad treatment of women and censorship, in protest against how her country and her religion views and treats women is "garbage"?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The garbage, to me, was the photos of the results of violence. I have no objection to nudity, but as James points out, both pornography and scenes that are simply grisly are not permitted on SciForums. Obviously I'm not alone in my revulsion for gore. Sure you can blame my age, but plenty of younger people, especially women, find it nauseating as well.
Do you think the images that came out showing the illegal torture of prisoners is "garbage"? Do you think showing people being murdered or injured is "garbage"?
Sorry. I could not look at any of those photos long enough to discern the context. As I noted in an earlier post, it is quite reasonable to show a shocking photo of the horrors of war to the general population every now and then. We all need to be reminded occasionally that the world outside our comfortable middle-class neighborhoods (many of which sit on land that has never been a battlefield, although here in the Maryland suburbs of Washington there was considerable action during our own revolution--a war whose righteousness I'm still not sure about since you Aussies seem to be doing fine without one) isn't all double-frappucinos and designer-dogs. But the operative word is "occasionally." Hitting people in the face repeatedly with something that shocks them into closing their eyes and walking away is not a good way to make a point--much less enlist their support.
Maybe it is your old age Fraggle, but you seem to think that the horrors of real life in war is "garbage". Do you think those men being tortured, would appreciate someone like you deeming their treatment as "garbage" because the images that the soldiers from your country took offends your delicate sensibilities? What about Phan Thi Kim Phuc? Do you think she is "garbage" as well?
Again, I apologize for not choosing my words more carefully. But all I can do is point you to my previous sentence. I could not look at those photos long enough to analyze them and figure out what they were about or what point they strove to make. When these things come at us less often, then when one does actually show up, we're more likely to grit our teeth and look at it more carefully, because somebody must have thought it was worth the outrage. There were a few of those photos during the Vietnam War, and we all looked at them dutifully while trying hard to suppress our gag reflex. But now they're everywhere. I have given up trying to decide if any individual photo is a worthy comment on war or some other flaw in humanity, or just a gratuitously shocking picture from a book jacket or a movie trailer.

Note please that I have not stepped over the line and begun campaigning to make these images illegal, as Sam's people have done regarding certain cartoons. Freedom of speech must be absolute with only a very few, very reasonable exceptions such as fraud. It is the rules of this forum that tell us these photos must not be posted here. I confess to being a little too zealous in categorizing them all as "garbage" without even looking at them carefully, since I was incapable of doing so and understood that some (or perhaps all) were meant to shock me into taking a position I already hold: that wars are horrible and we should do a better job of choosing leaders who don't start them, or at least not supporting leaders who do start them. But my stomach was crying "garbage" as it struggled to hang onto its contents, and the word managed to make it all the way to my keyboard.

I'm sure there are things you find so utterly offensive that they motivate you to behave a bit irrationally, so maybe you can forgive me for this.
Your country and mine perpetrated half the violence shown in those images. If you think they are "garbage", maybe you should contact your local politician and tell them to cease and desist in murdering and torturing innocent civilians lest their images offend your delicate and fragile sensibilities.
I have written plenty of letters to my politicians. Since I escaped from my parents in 1960 I have almost always lived in regions with a large majority of "liberal" voters, so the politicians who represent my district, or even the entire state, are almost always in complete agreement with me.

It's all those other fools who are difficult to influence. ;)
Fraggle will forget his "in a place of science and scholarship" when it comes to his insulting Sam and her religion and Muslims and other religions in general. Good luck asking him for evidence.
I did not single out Muslims for an insult, and never have. Reread the sentence in which I spoke specifically about Muslims and you'll realize that it was an insult to Sam, not anyone else.

As for evidence, I have presented it so many times that all I have to do now is cut and paste it, as I did earlier in this post. So far no one on SciForums has falsified it.
I think we do have an issue with nudity and we are hypocritical in what is printed and what is not. I don't think we are that free after all. And that is somewhat disturbing.
I don't disagree with that at all. Of course it doesn't apply to the entire West in general. The best statement of that I've ever seen was advice columnist Carolyn Hax's response to a bewildered American tourist returning from Scandinavia: "In Sweden, it's not rude to be naked. It's just rude to notice."
Now back on ignore you [Signal] go.
Unfortunately Moderators and general members do not have the ability to put each other on Ignore.
I'm sure that Fraggle honestly believes what he writes when he says "Religion is anti-science".
It is my reasoned assertion as an amateur scientist, not merely a "belief," and I posted the evidence supporting this assertion above. Everyone is free to peer-review it, yet in all these years no one has come forth with a decent rebuttal, either on this website or out in the carbon world. The best any of them can do is mutter, "Well we can hardly base our lives on reason and logic now, can we? What kind of a world would that be?"
First, I would say that the US is not a place-holder for "the west". "The western media" includes the media in Italy, the UK, Australia, the US, France, Germany, etc. I don't think that all these nations have the same attitudes to things like nudity or violent imagery or images of death.
I'm not sure about death, but some general-circulation U.K. newspapers frequently feature nudity for no other reason than to attract more readers.
Having said that, I agree with you in general terms about the US. Its mainstream media tends to be prudish about nudity, which reflects the views of its citizens.
Not the majority of citizens, just the loudest ones.
I have never watched one of these Islamist beheadings, and never will. I don't want those images in my head.
I can't even bear to go to the front of the line in an open-casket funeral. I do not want that to be my last memory of that person, seared into my brain forever. If the police called and said that it seems that one of my loved ones was killed in a road accident or something like that, and they needed me to come down and make a positive identification, I would beg them to use dental records instead, even if it will take longer to find out who it is.
"An attempt to launch an attack on the US"? Do you think her images contain launch codes for ballistic missiles?
You're getting a little silly here. I think everyone who read this who is over the age of eight understands the kind of "attack" that was meant: a verbal, philosophical one. Duh?
You know, this thread had a lot of potential. It is a shame that people such as yourself, Fraggle and others are too blinkered shouting at the messenger than looking at what is actually being discussed.
Guilty. But this is exactly the issue we're arguing: images such as this are so offensive to some of us that we can no longer participate meaningfully in the discussion. So offensive that our only goal becomes to prevent them from being foisted on us in the future. So offensive that we were not even able to look at them long enough to understand their context or purpose.

More importantly, so offensive that they are prohibited on SciForums. Like many members, I'm reading this through a corporate server. The people who administer it have company standards to maintain. One more set of photos like these and they might decide to block this website. I would have no way to challenge that since it has nothing to do with my job.

I don't think it's unreasonable of me to expect the content on SciForums to be self-censored sufficiently to ensure that we do not get locked outside the firewalls of schools, libraries and corporations. I.e., I don't expect to encounter photos like these, and this expectation is reasonable.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how one can state images of people being tortured to death as "garbage". I find it quite repulsive that anyone could view human suffering inflicted because some individuals wanted souvenir photos as being 'garbage'. Especially when one considers the risks and dangers involved in getting those images to the public in the first place. One is currently in jail for leaking it and the other has been charged on some trumped up rape charge. To view it all as "garbage" demeans the very notion of crimes against humanity and torture.
I have already apologized for introducing that word into the discourse, and explained why it happened. I will strive not to do something like this again, if only because I'm the professional writer here and I should be able to do better.

I hope you can let it rest now.
And I think you need to ask yourself how and why the media deems torture and the murder of civilians as being less offensive than a girl's nudity on her blog. That is the whole point. That the Western media and all media in general are happy to post overly violent images but will blank out a girl's nipples in her protest against a violent regime because it might offend. I think you need to ask yourself how and why violence is somewhat less offensive in the media than a girl's nude protest.
I think you'll have to ask that question to the religious folks, since this is their moral standard, not mine.
The point is that I would never moderate someone I detested or thought was a douche because it could be viewed as being biased. Ergo I have never moderated you or threatened you with moderation or with a ban nor will I ever.
One can defend oneself against accusations of bias. It's done all the time.
But why is it a taboo? If I read the above it is like our taboos are random, so if there is fear around a taboo, it is fear of breaking the taboo.
They're not random, they're just inherited from earlier cultures so they don't make a lot of s ense today.

Before the Industrial Revolution, physical strength was one of the most important measures of one's ability to contribute to society and to defend oneself. Most women were not as strong as most men, and on top of that they were often pregnant or nursing, which further reduced their ability to do hard labor or to defend themselves. So the morality evolved that men must protect women--from the minority of other men who would take advantage of the strength differential. In many cultures that extended to requiring them not to look sexually appealing, to avoid pushing those one-percenters over the edge, to where they'd lurk in the shadows and grab them when no one was around to defend them. As recently as the late 19th century, women in American cities showed very little shape or skin, wearing gloves, full-length sleeves and stockings, corsets and bustles. (Women on the farms had to wear clothing that didn't interfere with their work.)

This is where we started from. American culture is famous for its huge pendulum swings; just look at its attitude about alcohol, for example. The sex pendulum swung to the libertine side in the 1920s and stayed there through the 1960s, and now it is swinging back toward the Victorian side, at least in public.

In Buddhism, there is the practice to reflect daily on the horrors of aging, illness and death, in their various forms. This is followed by the encouragement for oneself to live in line with the Dharma - to act skillfully and in such a manner that warrants merit.

Yes, in Catholicism people used to use these mental exercises too.
When I was a child, my Grandfather used to have a book of spiritual exercises.
It didn't dwell on death, but one exercise was to consider the body after death being consumed by worms.
As children, showing this book to each other, we always used to go straight to that part of course.

Do you remember seeing pictures of the dead naked bodies of Hitler’s ethic cleansing or the slave ships? Godwin's law? Maybe, but an example of how photos provoke emotions and hopefully, help us to avoid future atrocities. We do have the innate capacity to be compassionate. Sifting through history, was there some revelation, age of enlightenment, or an adaptation, which lead us away from barbaric behavior? I don’t think so. It was when we forced people to put themselves in other people shoes. It was through sentiments. It is our feelings, which move us to action, to know and relate to others. It was our ability to communicate that moved us to change. We express our sentiments to many, though art, music, and literature, which enables us to connect and relate. Her photos show us that she is not only a woman but also a human…just like us.

Blurring the photo implied that it was indecent. I believe her when she says,“I am not shy of being a woman in a society where women are nothing but sex objects harassed on a daily basis by men who know nothing about sex or the importance of a woman. The photo is an expression of my being and I see the human body as the best artistic representation of that.

Sex to the majority is simply a man using a woman with no communication between them and children are just part of an equation. To me, sex is an expression of respect, a passion for love that culminates into sex to please both sides.”

Aliaa Elmahdy: Why I Posed Naked

The world will never change by those who fit in. Feelings trump reason and she did provoke strong feelings around the globe.

Last edited:
Back