Effect of eating same foods?

Does anyone vary the type of food they buy for their cats or dogs? Or they eat the same thing year after year?

We have always varied food for our pets. The main measure is whatever the animal will eat, we try out all sorts of things. We don't buy rabbit meat or fresh fish all that often, that's too expensive. But occasionally, we do.
That's probably why our kitties are healthy and shiny and mostly behave like half-wild animals, they don't seem domesticated at all.

No, it's not good to change the diet of cats, it makes them fussy.

Bah!

---

Anyway, I'm just curious: are protein supplements (as in protein powder) safe in the long run? I take it after every workout, but I'm curious if it could potentially be harmful. So far, it's done nothing but help me out.

You need approximately 0.8 gm protein/kg body weight per day. With intense activity that would be increased to (maximum) 1.5 gm protein /kg body weight per day.

Any excess protein needs to be broken down and the amino groups excreted (as ammonia). So its just a burden and a waste of energy.

If you work out very intensely, check your resting heart rate and first pee of the morning. If your RHR is higher and your pee yellower, either you are taking too little water or too much protein powder (or breaking down muscle).

You need approximately 0.8 gm protein/kg body weight per day. With intense activity that would be increased to (maximum) 1.5 gm protein /kg body weight per day.

Any excess protein needs to be broken down and the amino groups excreted (as ammonia). So its just a burden and a waste of energy.

If you work out very intensely, check your resting heart rate and first pee of the morning. If your RHR is higher and your pee yellower, either you are taking too little water or too much protein powder (or breaking down muscle).

This actually helps out a lot. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone vary the type of food they buy for their cats or dogs? Or they eat the same thing year after year?
These days commercial pet food is formulated to appeal to humans rather than pets. I mean when I was a kid fifty or sixty years ago you'd have to be an idiot to put dog food in your mouth. It smelled terrible and probably tasted worse and had a horrible texture. Nowadays it looks, feels and smells like human food.

Dogs will eat almost anything including garbage and feces, but cats don't like to put things in their mouth that don't smell right to them and a lot of food that smells good to humans doesn't smell good to a lot of cats. If you've found a brand of food your cat likes, it's no guarantee that he'll like another brand, just because they seem the same to you.
I remember I used to feed my pitbull our dinner's leftovers. She freakin' loved it! Once she got used to the food we ate, dry dog food was never touched by her again.
Be careful. It's quite possible to feed dogs too much protein. One of the three main differences between dogs and wolves since they split off as a subspecies of Canis lupus is that they adapted to a full-time scavenger's diet which has much less protein than a hunter's diet. As a result they have smaller brains (brains require a lot of protein to maintain) and their metabolism isn't tuned to a high-protein diet. They don't have the miles of intestines that we do so it's not easy for them to process nutrients they don't need. Some dogs can have seizures or other reactions to too much protein. If you're giving your dog human food I hope it's not a lot of meat and dairy products.

Fat is also no better for dogs than it is for us. Don't trim fat off of your own meat and give it to your dog.

A rather large number of dogs have bad reactions to pork. I'm not clear why (my wife understands these things and I trust her) but we don't let our dogs have it--neither bones nor meat nor pig ear snacks.

And of course chocolate can be fatal to a dog.

Finally, don't give your dog anything with preservatives--including cheap commercial dog food. It will kill the bacterial culture he needs in order for his extremely short intestine to digest food. He'll run right out and eat some feces to replenish it.

but cats don't like to put things in their mouth that don't smell right to them and a lot of food that smells good to humans doesn't smell good to a lot of cats. If you've found a brand of food your cat likes, it's no guarantee that he'll like another brand, just because they seem the same to you.

The sad irony is that many classy and expensive brands of cat food do not appeal to many cats.

Sheba, for example, is one of the most expensive brands here, and supposedly very good - but none of our cats ever fancied it.
Sheba does have some of the most humanly appealing commercials!

Back