Eat and Drink Whatever You Like

justagirl,

Hi and welcome to sciforums.

The quote at the end of my posts is just my automatic signature, and really isn’t relevant for this thread. So in that sense you have chosen to comment on it out of context.

Also this thread was meant as a joke, i.e. speaking a particular language might improve or decrease your risk of heart attacks. It wasn’t meant to be a serious thread on eating habits. However, many threads in these forums do digress into other areas, so no big deal.

Stephen Hawking proved nothing for or against God's existance as millions of people can read this and still form their own opinion. It was arrogant for him to assume he proved "me or for that matter anyone" anything when you think about it.
He isn’t claiming any proofs, only that there is a theory that shows how the universe can exist without a god. His point is not that that proves the existence of a god or not, just that a god doesn’t have to have existed for the universe to exist.

I think you have misunderstood the opening post. There is no connection with the joke and the comments made by Hawking. It is not Hawking that is making the joke, that is just my automatic post footing.

No matter how hard I try to force someone to believe as I do, it will fail, and the same can be said for him. You can't prove "beliefs" and only facts..
No one should try to force anyone to believe in a particular way. That is the arena for totalitarian regimes and religions like Christianity. Hawking isn’t trying to force anyone to believe anything; all he is doing is offering scientific theories based on existing evidence.

Cris

Stephen Hawking commenting on health? Thanks for clearing that up Cris, even I was getting confused. Anyway, anything can be done, especially losing weight. Its just a matter of will, like quitting smoking.

Nethilim,

Its just a matter of will, like quitting smoking.
Ah, sounds like you have never tried it. No it isn't a matter of just will. There are neuronic and hormaonal influences that fight against your will. Just trying to eat less causes increasing opposing physiological counteractions. The more you try the harder it becomes. You simply canot mainatain that state for any length of time. And when you finally give in, your weight comes right back and more.

And smoking is a real addiction. From the first puff it takes around 7 seconds for the nicotine to reach the synpases. The effect last for about 30 minutes before the craving re-starts. Will power is generally not string enough to fight real physiological wars.

Cris

Cris, thank you. This hamster grew up with an obese sister and brother and witnessed first hand their struggles. Yes, proper diet, exercise, and drugs help. For some people they aren’t enough.

True, , I never had a weight problem. I was always skinny even though I eat like a freak, but I did quit smoking. Zyban is a wonder drug!:D

Back