Drivers see sex attack in street but fail to stop

Would you stop, and help?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The fact it was a public place may have been a factor. Everyone thought: "Someone else will take care of it." I suspect at least some of these motorists would have intervened if they knew there was no one else to help.

Or maybe they all are just selfish cowards.

when something like this happens it is inevitable, trying to stop it will result in at least someone getting injured or in most possible scenario the one witnissing it getting themselves killed.

I know we all want to be noble, make sure no one gets raped...everything is according to the law...but it all comes down to our lives and these are irreplaceable.

Personally I would not get out of my car and jump right in there and try to stop it . I would stop and try to get help, or call the police. I am with draqon I wouldn't risk my own life, for a stranger.

Personally I would not get out of my car and jump right in there and try to stop it . I would stop and try to get help, or call the police. I am with draqon I wouldn't risk my own life, for a stranger.

I' d call the police also today and stay around and observe what happens until the police arrive.

Where the hell was this? One guy??? What was he 8ft tall?

Anyway, in Canada you really have to be careful. There is NO taking the law into your own hands in Canada, you can get in a LOT of shit.

Having said that, I would run down the guy(assuming she's on the bottom ;) ), kick the shit out of him while he's down, then drive off - screw making a statement to police what a hassle.

I would have stopped, but I can understand why a woman wouldn't. I do not understand why a man wouldn't have stopped. shameful

I thought women wanted to be able to look after themselves yet here you are saying if they can't it's down to a man to bail them out. Why do so many things bring out the sexist comments?:rolleyes:
How about a man might have the same reason a woman wouldn't stop? Or perhaps the opposite reason - because he's so big and strong he might hurt the guy trying to break it up(or the guy might fake it) and then get sued like cosmic. I'm sure some women might be that tough too so how about we try applying these situations more generally than being gender based; such as a good reason for nobody to stop being that people sometimes stage these events as a con to get you to leave your vehicle and then they steal it?

I thought women wanted to be able to look after themselves yet here you are saying if they can't it's down to a man to bail them out. Why do so many things bring out the sexist comments?:rolleyes:

well, in my corner of the world, women are smaller than men. I can understand why they wouldn't stop. I didn't realize I would have to say 'and I realize why a small feminine man wouldn't stop'
Or is that sexist too? :rolleyes:

And just because women want to look after themselves, doesn't mean they always can. Men want to look after themselves, but just as many of them get attacked. Should people drive by and not help men as well?

well, in my corner of the world, women are smaller than men. I can understand why they wouldn't stop. I didn't realize I would have to say 'and I realize why a small feminine man wouldn't stop'
Or is that sexist too? :rolleyes:
Well you're the one who made the gender based statement clearly implying men should stop purely because they're men, you didn't mention anything else. I think you should be more careful.

And just because women want to look after themselves, doesn't mean they always can. Men want to look after themselves, but just as many of them get attacked. Should people drive by and not help men as well?

Suggest you read the rest of my post, I also repeat you're the one who said only men should help.

Edit: It's also just dawned on me that yes, what you said in your second post was sexist - 'and I realize why a small feminine man wouldn't stop'
Or is that sexist too?

That's sexist against women, you're equating feminine with weakness, I thought in these days of equality words like that were supposed to simply mean female and not be in conjunction with the word meaning weak? All hell seems to break loose these days when you call women weak on the basis of gender.
I think you choose your words very poorly.

Last edited:
yep

oh, not 'yep, I coose my words poorly.'
But yep. That's what I think. You can think its sexist all you want.

Last edited:
What a bunch of lily-livered, four-lip cowards. How can somebody witness a sex attack targetting a helpless woman, and flee the scene with their tail between their legs? Some guy was stabbed a few streets away from my house, and the person who did the stabbing ran off. The man sat there bleeding, pleading for help, yet everybody ignored him, far too worried about themselves. He was pronounced dead when the police arrived. I wish I was there when this sex attack was happening. Any able-bodied man who avoids helping a person in danger because of a fear for their own well-being deserves a lifetime of destitute. For God's sake, at least call the police.

Teeside: At least five drivers did not stop when a 20-year-old woman was sexually assaulted in the middle of a road.

The victim was beaten and had clothes ripped off, but the motorists did not come to her aid. The woman was walking home early on Sunday in Stockton, when a man grabbed her.

------------------------------

that makes me sick to the core, why would anyone not want to help anyone who is getting sexually attacked, i know i would've stopped and helpped and i am just 5ft short!
----------------------------------

why has it come to this we would rather drive past someone getting assault than help? Ask yourself this if you were getting assaulted wouldn't you want someone (anyone) to help you? i know i would.

----------------------------------

are people scared to stand up against hatred, and violence, if so what are they scared of, getting attacked back, rather they attack two maybe three people than one young girl making her way home!

---------------------------------

Most people don't know how to confront a criminal without increasing the risk to themselves, the victim, or other people around. They know this and don't act out of self preservation. A small minority of people might have tools (guns, martial arts training, etc.) and will go overboard in a confrontation and end up breaking the law themselves.

In my opinion, the best thing for a civilian to do is call the police and volunteer as a witness after an arrest is made. If you have tools and / or training of superior force and know how to use that to force someone into submission then a citizens arrest is a decent way to go... but you still have to call the police.

What a bunch of lily-livered, four-lip cowards. How can somebody witness a sex attack targetting a helpless woman, and flee the scene with their tail between their legs? Some guy was stabbed a few streets away from my house, and the person who did the stabbing ran off. The man sat there bleeding, pleading for help, yet everybody ignored him, far too worried about themselves. He was pronounced dead when the police arrived. I wish I was there when this sex attack was happening. Any able-bodied man who avoids helping a person in danger because of a fear for their own well-being deserves a lifetime of destitute. For God's sake, at least call the police.
Person Kadark, the word you're looking for in both cases is person. ;)

With the number of guns floating around, who wants to take a chance?

As fast as some people drive by listening to the radio and watching traffic, I bet not all of them even saw it. If they all slowed down to rubber-neck, well.....:mad:

Most people don't know how to confront a criminal without increasing the risk to themselves, the victim, or other people around. They know this and don't act out of self preservation. A small minority of people might have tools (guns, martial arts training, etc.) and will go overboard in a confrontation and end up breaking the law themselves.

In my opinion, the best thing for a civilian to do is call the police and volunteer as a witness after an arrest is made. If you have tools and / or training of superior force and know how to use that to force someone into submission then a citizens arrest is a decent way to go... but you still have to call the police.

How about a CAR. it was the middle of the road??

Anyway it's hard to rape someone with a 95' jeep cherokee steamrollin your ankles.

As fast as some people drive by listening to the radio and watching traffic, I bet not all of them even saw it. If they all slowed down to rubber-neck, well.....:mad:

Another good reason a person may not intervene, driving past you won't see a great deal of what's going on, a flash of a few seconds maybe, especially if you're watching the road(were they really in the middle of it? Surely that would block traffic so someone HAD to stop?); could just look as though it's a couple people messing around. Seeing as none of us saw it and know all the exact details I don't think any of us can say too much against those who drove past.:shrug:

nietzschefan,

What if you miss and hurt / kill the wrong one? What if you hit the intended target and are sued by both that person and prosecuted by the state for breaking the law? What if you completely miss and the aggressor pulls out a gun and starts a shooting spree?

Guess i'm a confident driver...anyway I already said I would do a hit an run - "helping".

I'm not sticking around - because I KNOW in Canada I am breaking the law for helping at all, at least in commiting to a violent solution(the only one if you really want to help IMO).

Guess i'm a confident driver...anyway I already said I would do a hit an run - "helping".

I'm not sticking around - because I KNOW in Canada I am breaking the law for helping at all, at least in commiting to a violent solution(the only one if you really want to help IMO).

Sounds like a 'good deed' just waiting to be punished :). I don't know why but this comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhsE6qdQr1g

Back