Dogs fed cats

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
OK, people buy mice to feed to their snakes. Neighborhood cats get eaten by coyotes and owls. How is what he did any different? Is it because he hurt them first or because he gave them to his dogs? If the dogs had been starving, would it be ok then?

LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. - A man captured neighborhood cats and kittens and fed them live to his pit bulls, authorities said Thursday. Tye Hilmo, 21, was charged Thursday with aggravated cruelty to animals.

Hilmo was already in jail on drug, firearm and probation violation charges, Gwinnett County sheriff's spokeswoman Stacey Bourbonnais said.

The new warrant charges that Hilmo "did give injured live cats and kittens to his pit bull dogs and let the pit bulls kill the already injured cats and kittens. Hilmo would capture and injure neighborhood cats for this purpose."

He was arrested Sept. 10 after investigators serving a search warrant on his house found guns and two pounds of marijuana, Bourbonnais said. He has been jailed since then.

Authorities found the bodies of two kittens near Hilmo's residence. Bourbonnais said they also found a gruesome image on Hilmo's cell phone: a picture of one of his pit bulls and one of the mauled, dead kittens, and beneath picture a caption that says "Good Dog."

"It's pretty disturbing," Bourbonnais said.

The initial tip about Hilmo indicated he may be feeding kittens and cats to his dogs to prepare the dogs for fighting, but no dogfighting charges have been leveled against Hilmo, Bourbonnais said.

Sheriff's officials could not immediately say whether Hilmo has an attorney.

If they were running around lose they get taken to the pound where they are put to death.
Or they could be adopted out of said pound.

Which do you think is more humane? Being put to death by an injection that puts them to sleep or being maimed and then thrown to the dogs (literally) and being mauled and torn to shreds?

Or they could be adopted out of said pound.

Which do you think is more humane? Being put to death by an injection that puts them to sleep or being maimed and then thrown to the dogs (literally) and being mauled and torn to shreds?

We have a lot, A LOT of stray/feral cats around here. Owls and coyotes help keep the population down. They main, maul, and tear them to shreds.

If the man is taken out of the equation and the dogs caught and ate them, would it then be ok?

We have a lot, A LOT of stray/feral cats around here. Owls and coyotes help keep the population down. They main, maul, and tear them to shreds.

If the man is taken out of the equation and the dogs caught and ate them, would it then be ok?

I would imagine it would be the state of the wild. However this is completely different. In this instance a person deliberately caught and injured the cats before feeding them to his dogs. You don't find the thought of someone doing that as being crime?

...You don't find the thought of someone doing that as being crime?

??? I never said I didn't think it was wrong. I'm just trying to figure out why I think so.
Its always wrong to torture an animal and what he did was torture. But what if he hadn't hurt them, and just released them by his dogs and the dogs caught and ate them. The dogs wouldn't be doing anything different than a coyote.
Is that wrong?

And what about those mice that are fed to snakes?

I haven't read the article, but yes - if the dogs caught and ate the cats themselves then that would be a much more interesting battle than having an unsporting human trick the cats using his unfairly large forebrain. Personally I don't think the dogs by themselves would catch enough kitty to stay alive.

what if the man went to the pound, got the cats and threw them to his dogs? Is that any different than going to the store, getting mice, and throwing them in with a snake?

what if the man went to the pound, got the cats and threw them to his dogs? Is that any different than going to the store, getting mice, and throwing them in with a snake?

Is there any difference in raising a cow, then sending it to the slaughter house to be cut up and eaten by humans?

Baron Max

No, not really - no differenterer than if he'd thrown the dogs to the cats, himself to the dogs, the cats to the mice or the snake to himself. 's all just meat at the end of the day, I suppose. Furry and cuddly though the cats may be, they're still the ideal snack for any hungry canine.

The fact that you and I find it disgusting comes down purely to the fact that we've been taught to.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=60081

Animals are still in that weird moral limbo black salves were 150 years ago, its only a faux-pas to kill an animal if theyre someone elses property.

Why not kill a homeless guy and feed him to your dogs?
Why not kill your dog and eat it?
Why not cut your own leg off and eat it?
Blah blah blah....

Bottom line, the guy is a cunt and should be locked up.

Why not kill a homeless guy and feed him to your dogs?
Why not kill your dog and eat it?
Why not cut your own leg off and eat it?
Blah blah blah....

Bottom line, the guy is a cunt and should be locked up.

The problem is, if we lock him up and dont lock up all the other people engaging in the exact same behaviour (although without cats) all we're doing is being horrendously preferential to cats.
So you have to put across a very strong argument as to why cats are so particularly special in this instance.
And you cant say 'because theyre pets' because that's simply turning them into articles of property.

i dont know how it works in usa but here in uk, when my friend has his snake the mice were already dead, they are not allowed to feed live animals to other animals.

what that guy did was wrong, i guess if the dogs and cats were mauled to death by other animals out in the streets then that is what animals do, humans shouldne be stealing animals and feeding them to they're dogs

Let me put it like this, if I would find out the guy mauled my cat and fed it to his dogs he would have a serious problem on his hands.. probably something like a date with a baseball bat.

i dont know how it works in usa but here in uk, when my friend has his snake the mice were already dead, they are not allowed to feed live animals to other animals....

??? hmmm, I don't know. They sell them live in the pets store, so I thought that was how they gave them to you. Anyone know?

The taboo of killing pet animals is entirely a cultural phenomenon, and nothing else. Cats have no more special rights than pigs or cows or chickens based on their inherent nature; they're all inherently worthless. But people ascribe cats much greater value because they cuddle them and stuff.

Back