does religion really matter in the 21th century?

A atheists who does a bad thing is a brown hole sphincter

A theists who does a bad thing is a brown hole sphincter who believes in god

:)
Theists have an agenda to do good to fellow man
Atheists don't have any agenda , but they expect society to be good to them!

Theists have an agenda to do good to fellow man
Atheists don't have any agenda , but they expect society to be good to them!
Theists have adopted a theist agenda, atheists are free to adopt a humanist agenda. The only difference is humanists don't tend to adopt religious bigotry.

Theists have adopted a theist agenda, atheists are free to adopt a humanist agenda. The only difference is humanists don't tend to adopt religious bigotry.
The human Yanomamo in the Guayana have not evolved yet , because they have not been exposed to the bible.

So why do you say they aren't evolved? We both wage wars. The Jews were a warrior culture too.

So why do you say they aren't evolved? We both wage wars. The Jews were a warrior culture too.
The only religions I know of, whose members do not wage war, are Baha'i and Rastafarianism.

Both are very new: Baha'i arose in the 19th century, and Rasta in the 20th. Let's wait another 100 years to see how this plays out.

Yes, I ignored Scientology. It was created by merging a set of science fiction novels with a self-help plan: "Dianetics." I'm astounded that, somehow, it was accepted, legally, as a religion. It gets away without paying taxes, and that is all that its creator, L. Ron Hubbard, wanted.

this is a question to be answered from the heart.....

Jolly good. Another topic that turns out to be exhumed from either a decade-plus burial or commencement date. Just to address the subject line itself (since you're long gone...)

It acquires renewed vigor during these bounce-backs to nationalism and traditionalism. Support from the Orthodox Church is a key part of what ensures Putin's continued maintenance of his power, along with the return and recruitment of many other Russian customs and aspects of cultural identity that were inhibited during the Soviet era. Secular regimes that aren't necessary illiberal like his will still often have to offer back-door respect to tribal beliefs via superficial gestures to the applicable population groups / divisions.

Even political systems going the whole hog of actually featuring militant anti-religion or atheism at their cores will yet substitute personality cults, synthetic adoration of the state, and reverence of ideological abstractions (like North Korea's Juche.) A nod to the influence and allegiance-generating organizational powers of deeper primeval tendencies -- or the prior in rank hypernyms, which a more specific concept like "religion" is simply subsumed under rather than reigning atop of. Barring transhumanism engineering the whole gamut or hierarchy of such out of us in the deep future, this is always going to be vaguely akin to a surprisingly myopic community of farmers believing that by driving out the familiar insects preying on their crops, they have thus eliminated the pests.

- - -

Back