does religion really matter in the 21th century?

No religion matters.

In the way back past it was good for making people feel bad about what they have done.

Now religion, in my eyes, is a bad thing and no longer serves it's purpose.

Plus, with the rise of PC language, we no longer have to worry about offending people.

:rolleyes:

wtc.jpg

Christianity will probably die in a few centuries.
Later people will realize that all religions come from the same God.
We will no longer need guidance and inflexible laws because we will find the living law inside ourself.

Religion as "a set doctorine of values, knowledge and point of view", no.

But religions as "depositories of valuable old wisdom" yeah. Spirituality is on the rise, but religiousness is declining. But it might take a couple of wars to get rid of all the fanatics...

It's important to learn about religions, especially in history, social science and politics.
If you knew nothing about religion, then you wouldn't understand why people are willing to fly airplanes into buildings and strap bombs to their private parts.

The way I see it secular extremism is equally a danger to society as religious extremism is.

Secular extremism can also push humanity back into the dark ages and not only religious extremism.

Religion is needed in order for a ethical society to sustain itself. Religion makes morality possible and morals are seriously lacking in secular extremism.

What's secular extremism? And no, religion is not what makes morality possible.

Secular extremism is marginalizing religion and asserting that you can't be part of mainstream society without being secular.

Also trying to ban religion by the government is another form of secular extremism, for example.

And my source for this is:

http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.719124

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010...igion-james-lee-discovery-channel-mother.html

Also don't forget that Hitler and Stalin were both atheists and they killed many people.

Last edited:
Secular extremism is marginalizing religion and asserting that you can't be part of mainstream society without being secular.
No one says that. All I want is separation of church and state. And secular humanism, which is hardly extreme, seeing as how doing good for humans is what it's all about.

Also trying to ban religion by the government is another form of secular extremism, for example.
Also not happening.

Also don't forget that Hitler and Stalin were both atheists and they killed many people.
Hitler was not an atheist, and neither were most Germans. Stalin might have been, but the Catholic Church killed more people.
Your assertion seems to be that being religious prevents murder, and I see no evidence of that.
Religion has actual texts and tenets, atheism is merely the rejection of the god claim. It contains no teachings for doing either good or evil, so you can't blame it for anything else.

Last edited:
Obviously, the natural conscience comes first or you wouldn't care about anyone's judgement.

Our gilt before God drives us to change our evil act . Does a an atheist can have a guilty conscience if he does act evil ? or does he rationalise only to justify his act ?

Too many theists commit evil, including priests & pastors, for that to have any validity.

<>

Our gilt before God drives us to change our evil act . Does a an atheist can have a guilty conscience if he does act evil ? or does he rationalise only to justify his act ?

A atheists who does a bad thing is a brown hole sphincter

A theists who does a bad thing is a brown hole sphincter who believes in god

:)

Back