Does ID deserve "respect" as a viewpoint?

skinwalker said:
Religion is the practice of accepting the supernatural as valid. This is what theists do. No difference.
I would say it more like this:
religion is the practice of accepting the supernatural as valid, for the purpose of unburdening one's mind of the question of truth.

as I have heard it stated, religion is a cover crop that makes people feel better until the truth is known. people once believed that the sun was a god, until science showed otherwise.

as Carl Sagan might say, science is a candle in the dark.

p.s. my offer of sending that book (demon haunted world by Carl Sagan) to any theist, provided they pay shipping, still stands.

Zappa said:
The man, Antony Flew, who was for decades considered "The most influential atheist philosopher in the world" thinks ID should be respected...perhaps you might to well to get a better understanding of ID theories.

http://www.biola.edu/antonyflew/index.cfm
do you mean the Flew who said this "Sorry to Disappoint, but I'm Still an Atheist! (2001)"

The fact of the matter is: Flew hasn't really decided what to believe. He affirms that he is not a Christian--he is still quite certain that the Gods of Christianity or Islam do not exist, that there is no revealed religion, and definitely no afterlife of any kind (he stands by everything he argued in his 2001 book
but he does seem to have a mild belief in a prime mover an impersonal first clause, It might not even be conscious, but a mere force.

well so did einstein.

the stand Flew is taking, actually has nothing in common with the world's religions. but the meaning for all intents and purposes, is the same as the meaning of atheism.
no atheist in is right mind could say with utter certainty they no god exists, that would be infantile in the extreme, this is weak atheism.
however I believe Flew may of become a deist.

a deist is one thousand percent more rational then a theist, but less than a atheist, just because of one little flaw, in there thinking.
if Flew has changed lanes he will lose all credibility, so bringing him into the debate, has'nt gained you any ground at all, as it.

http://www.secweb.org/index.aspx?ac...iewAsset&id=369

geeser said:
do you mean the Flew who said this "Sorry to Disappoint, but I'm Still an Atheist! (2001)"

Well, if you had read the forward, he changed his views in 2004, so whatever he said in 2001 is now obviously out of date.

"In January 2003 they again dialogued on the resurrection at California Polytechnic State University–San Luis Obispo. (6)

During a couple telephone discussions shortly after their last dialogue, Flew explained to Habermas that he was considering becoming a theist. While Flew did not change his position at that time, he concluded that certain philosophical and scientific considerations were causing him to do some serious rethinking. He characterized his position as that of atheism standing in tension with several huge question marks.

Then, a year later, in January 2004, Flew informed Habermas that he had indeed become a theist. While still rejecting the concept of special revelation, whether Christian, Jewish or Islamic, nonetheless he had concluded that theism was true. In Flew’s words, he simply “had to go where the evidence leads.”"

SkinWalker said:
Religion is the practice of accepting the supernatural as valid. This is what theists do. No difference.

cept one believes that God has made communication, and has set rules and such down for everyone to follow. you don't think that's a big difference?

geeser said:
(he stands by everything he argued in his 2001 book
but he does seem to have a mild belief in a prime mover an impersonal first clause, It might not even be conscious, but a mere force.

H: and Spinoza’s God. Are you implying, with some interpreters of Spinoza, that God is pantheistic?

FLEW: I’m noting there that <b>God and Philosophy has become out of date and should now be seen as an historical document rather than as a direct contribution to current discussions. </b>

Zappa said:
cept one believes that God has made communication, and has set rules and such down for everyone to follow. you don't think that's a big difference?

There are many definitions for "religion," depending upon if you are defining it from a sociological, anthropological, theological, psychological, etc. perspective.

Nearly all hold that it centers around belief in the supernatural as an explanation for the universe. This is also the same definition for "theism." Therefore, a theist is religious. QED.

SkinWalker said:
Nearly all hold that it centers around belief in the supernatural as an explanation for the universe. This is also the same definition for "theism." Therefore, a theist is religious. QED.
Maybe this is just playing with words, but if there is a God and this God created the Universe, then surely that would be quite natural, if not Natural.
Is it not more appropriate to reserve the term supernatural for events within the created Universe that temporarily infringe the laws of the Universe? In other words, the creator sets up the rules for how this Universe functions - the act of creation - and thereafter everything that follows those laws is natural. Only events that breach those laws are supernatural.

On the original topic question, I would say that you need to define just what you mean by Intelligent Design.

It is true that Creationists have re-packaged their silly nonsense, I mean non-science from "Creationism" to "Intelligent Design" to try to do an end-run around the Court System, which has already found against them. (Proving that there can be sanity in Law, sometimes.)

If you are referring to the much older belief: that Ultimately it's All God's Fault that We Are Here Regardless Of God's Methods (caps intentional), then there may be a bit of a stronger case.

This older philosophy/belief really is only interested in looking at the bits of the Universe that Science can not or does not choose to explain. I.e. the metaphysical. Adherients to this form of Intelligent Design include some pretty savy people, and it is a pretty widespread belief, too.

And, as such, for some, it may have merit.

Of course, it is most definitely not a science, but a philosophy or religion. It should therefore, not be taught in a science class, but could find mention in any of the social sciences [History, Sociology, Politics, etc]: since all of Human Activity (including Belief in a Flat Earth :p ) could be considered subject material.

IN THE EMPIRICAL CHURCH..... these problems... dont exist.

ID... can be considered.. if we dont take the bible literally.. and instead.. see it as simili and metaphor. in which case... it makes perfect sense.
and can actually fit with empirical science... and theory... some anyway.
-MT

What concerns me is that it is the people who hold beliefs that are contrary to "good sense" who are personally denigrated, (called retard, moron, etc). In any debate, the better argument is generally held by those who do not descend to a) dishonesty and b) abuse and ad hominem attacks. Creationists and other religious authoritarian believers tend to exhibit the former attribute, but if those arguing against that and in favour of scientific truth nontheless use the latter attribute, how is any impartial viewer supposed to decide?

Zappa said:
The man, Antony Flew, who was for decades considered "The most influential atheist philosopher in the world" thinks ID should be respected...perhaps you might to well to get a better understanding of ID theories.

http://www.biola.edu/antonyflew/index.cfm
There seems to be an invalid link between someone who used to be an atheist (whether he was "the most influential atheist philosopher in the world" is rather a matter for debate) and we atheists taking his theory seriously.

As time goes on I find myself more and more amazed, as an ordinary, middle aged computer bod, at my ability to find the fallacious arguments and logic of people professing to be professional philosophers, whether theist or atheist. Flew says, "Well, I don’t believe in the God of any revelatory system, although I am open to
that. But it seems to me that the case for an Aristotelian God who has the characteristics of power and also intelligence, is now much stronger than it ever was before." It's astonishing to me that any learned and intelligent person could derive "increased evidence for God" from anything that has formed part of human progress over the past two hundred years or so.

FLEW: Absolutely. It seems to me that Richard Dawkins constantly overlooks the fact that Darwin himself, in the fourteenth chapter of The Origin of Species, pointed out that his whole argument began with a being which already possessed reproductive powers. This is the creature the evolution of which a truly comprehensive theory of evolution must give some account. Darwin himself was well aware that he had not produced such an account. It now seems to me that the findings of more than fifty years of DNA research have provided materials for a new and enormously powerful argument to design.
And there you have it. He has translated a complete misunderstanding of Evolutionary theory, attributed it to Dawkins (of all people) and then drawn the erroneous conclusion. If he'd actually read Dawkins, perhaps he would not be making these erroneous arguments. Dawkins, first of all, is more aware than most people of the doubts in Evolutionary theory expressed by Darwin himself - doubts that were subsequently removed (not necessarily for Darwin, who was dead by that time) by further research. The discovery of DNA itself - 52 years ago, Professor Flew! - is the "prototype organism" he believes that we have "overlooked", but so far from overlooking it, it is certainly the subject of the greatest study. Maybe we will never know the exact explanation for the existence of the first replicating DNA molecule, but just because we won't know it, doesn't make God's having created it any more likely.

Flew's "evidence" consists of inserting God into the interstices of human ignorance. The fallacy is plain - there are always an infinitude of things we don't know, but every time we learn something new, the fingerprints of God simply fade and disappear. There is no reason to suppose that will ever be other than the case. Consequently, it is folly and wilful blindness to attribute to the increase of our knowledge of the natural world , and consequently the reduction of the need for God, some putative and fallacious "increase" in the evidence for God. He actually has it all precisely reversed.

candy said:
Are we going to apply this no mutilation rule to male babies as well?
Or will we assume that circumcision is too much of a Western mainstream idea to be questioned?
In an ideal world children would be protected and allowed to form their own conclusions about religion; we do not live in an ideal world so we just have to do the best we can.
If you are unfamilar with the work of Carl G. Jung try google. Recommended for the beginner "Man and His Symbols" Jung et al

Please, this is a misnomer: Western civilization is not the source for promoting circumcision. This is a old Judaic custom; numerous Catholics and Protestants today are not circumcised. Notably, it's also a strongly prevalent islamic custom - a strictly mandated one, if memory serves, to say nothing of the practice of female circumcision.

There seems to be a mindless undercurrent of blaming "the West" for everything. I assure you that while the West has problems, it isn't the source of all evil that some believe it is.

Geoff

Godless said:
How does a baby girl give consent of anything? She's being mutilated by the concent of the parent? She has no choice in the matter.

Exactly.

Geoff

Back