Does 0+0=0?

Doesn't "1" have relative size? Isn't "1" half of "2"? I could ask, what is the size of "1". And I could answer, "1" is half the size of "2". Sure, numbers are points. But, they also have relative size.
Next, does a series of numbers, say from zero to 1 have size?

What is relative about that ? "1" is an absolute quantity. "Half" is the relative bit..

James,
I do have a question of my own..

0[sup]0[/sup] != 0*0 :shrug:

Edit: Duh.. never mind. Of course 0[sup]0[/sup] != 0[sup]2[/sup] :eek:

Edit2: I was momentarily confused because of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_product
I believe this may lie at the heart of Johns confusion as well.

I don't disagree that 0+0=0. What's your point? My point was that zero also equals an infinite number of zeros added together. However, I am using 0+0=0 as an analogy to the real world, and saying that nothingness can also exist as multiple nothingnesses. Multiple nothingnesses collide and lead to somethingness. I am also saying that an infinitely small number added to itself an infinite number of times leads to the smallest number possible, because the infinities cancel eachother out. Thus, by analogy I am suggesting that if an infinitely small number is equal to zero, but it is added to itself an infinite number of times (i.e. infinite zeros added to themselves), you get the smallest number possible that is not zero - and consequently by analogy multiple nothingnesses can create something besides Zero.

What is relative about that ? "1" is an absolute quantity. "Half" is the relative bit..

Well, although a point doesn't have dimensional size, it does have relative size in relationship to other points. In other words, 1 doesn't have size, but it does exist at a certain distance from 2. Therefore, there is a difference in relative position between 1 and 2. That is, in relative position to zero, 1 is half the distance toward zero than 2.

I must ask you, James R, how do you not believe that numbers are infinite?

I think James point was that "Numbers" are just that. i.e. 1,2,3,4
None of those numbers are Infinite.

Infinity is a term for an every increasing roof to a number field, the number therefore is never the same but constantly evolving to a number higher up. Therefore a number is not infinite, the number of numbers is however.

I'm with Bannan on this one.

It means I can bake a cake, eat 100% of it, and still share it with two other friends.

100% + 0% + 0% = 100%

It means I didn't give them "nothing" -- rather, I gave them "two nothings".

All I need to do is take two slices from my cake that have 0 size, and put them on plates. Of course, the trick is finding a knife capable of breaching the surface of the cake whilst cutting a 0 sized slice :scratchin:

Last edited:
Man, you are making no sense..
I'll leave you to it if you don't mind.

How is this non-sensical? This is basic math. On a line that goes from 1 to -1, the mid-point is zero. Remember the number line from grade school?
1_____________0_____________-1. Of course, zero is half the distance from 1 to -1. You can see that pretty clearly, can't you?

How is this non-sensical? This is basic math. On a line that goes from 1 to -1, the mid-point is zero. Remember the number line from grade school?
1_____________0_____________-1. Of course, zero is half the distance from 1 to -1. You can see that pretty clearly, can't you?

So the relative size of 0 is 1 ?? What hell are you trying to say ?

I have decided that talking to John on this subject is a complete waste of time. He does not understand what is being said to him and he is clearly not interested in educating himself, something which would enable him to realize that his posts are nonsense.A hopeless case.

I'm with Bannan on this one.

It means I can bake a cake, eat 100% of it, and still share it with two other friends.

100% + 0% + 0% = 100%

It means I didn't give them "nothing" -- rather, I gave them "two nothings".

All I need to do is take two slices from my cake that have 0 size, and put them on plates. Of course, the trick is finding a knife capable of breaching the surface of the cake whilst cutting a 0 sized slice :scratchin:

I hear Ginsu knives are capable of making some pretty fine slices, perhaps you can try that? If not, I hear Chuck Norris can do it. He can do anything! :D

I hear Ginsu knives are capable of making some pretty fine slices, perhaps you can try that? If not, I hear Chuck Norris can do it. He can do anything! :D

Try reading "The Magician in the Kitchen ", subtitled "How to Slice the Salami " available at all fine bookstores in your neighbourhood. I tried Amazon but their stock was 0. When it reaches 00 they will send me one.

I have decided that talking to John on this subject is a complete waste of time. He does not understand what is being said to him and he is clearly not interested in educating himself, something which would enable him to realize that his posts are nonsense.A hopeless case.

Agreed.
I will put him on ignore for the time being so I won't be tempted..

Agreed. It would be totally possible to extract a zero sized slice of cake using an ginsu knife -just As long as the blade is made out of a serrated number line.

Why don't you make a valid point regarding hyperreal numbers for a change?

Back