Aliens Exist?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
We're a long way from eliminating all the impossibles yet.

Indeed. I don't think we'll ever be able to eliminate what is possible and what is not. Just a hunch though. The more we advance, the more it seems to be clear, any thing is possible.

Once you've eliminated the impossible, whats left, no matter how improbable, must be the truthis clear evidence you just haven't looked hard enough - Me.

I believe that aliens are the same as the gods of mythology. They are a modern version of mytholgy. Both are higher than humans and live in the heavens. Each uses the technology of the day but the gods and aliens have better stuff.

The ancients had a sword, therefore their gods would also have a sword maybe with theor versino of a particle beam. Since today we use space ships instead of chariots, our alien mythology will have better space ships with added features that we consider the future. If future tech had levitating platforms the aliens will then hae these but better ones. If you watch star trek, aliens had advanced computers with tape drives, but better tape drives. That was the state of the art then, so the aliens had that. Robots were futuristic then, so aliens defintately needed robots but better ones. That did what human hoped to achieve.

The entire mytholgy effect plays again and again through history because it is a projection from the unconscious mind, with projection like a movie overlay onto reality. This movie will have a flavor of the times. Since the unconscious is wired into the main frame of the brain, the projection or mytholgy movie overlsy will be better to represent this.

I believe that aliens are the same as the gods of mythology.
So your contention is that "aliens" are a myth?
This does not address the OP.

You're off at a completely different angle to the question posed.
It may very well be that aliens as written about in popular publications and the claims made about them are a form of modern day mythology.
This does not, however, reflect upon or even address the question of: do you think that alien life ACTUALLY exists in the universe? (Regardless of whether they have "contacted us" or not).
:rolleyes:

Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis

sethbaum.com/ac/2011_ET-Scenarios.pdf

THE SEARCH FOR EXTRATERRESTRIAL INTELLIGENCE (SETI ...

astro.wsu.edu/allen/courses/astr450/annurev.astro.39.1.511.pdf

you can also google 'the great filter", "sustainability scenario", answer to the fermi paradox.
then you have simulation universe where the aliens are so advanced we are in one of their constructs.

http://www.nickbostrom.com/extraterrestrial.pdf

why it might not be a good idea to actually find aliens, the great filter scenario.

basically you can take your pick as to what to believe and stand a good chance of being correct. to some degree. ;-)

Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis

you can also google 'the great filter", "sustainability scenario", answer to the fermi paradox.
then you have simulation universe where the aliens are so advanced we are in one of their constructs.

why it might not be a good idea to actually find aliens, the great filter scenario.

basically you can take your pick as to what to believe and stand a good chance of being correct. to some degree. ;-)

You could have just said the reasons.. those PDF's are boring, and I never got to the reason.

Anyhoot if it was to do with Hawkins comments that Aliens are bad for the Earth because they will steal our resources.. I doubt it. If you can travel to Earth you will pass many resources on your way.

pardon
i was still harping on planets
anyways, possible contenders start at 20 light years away
current tech will take 60,000 years to get there....i think

I looked at Origin's link (above) for planets. They have found more than I realized. Although most seem to be gas giants.

We still only have a sample of one as far as life goes. So it's very difficult to determine odds from that.

Don't get me wrong, I suspect the universe is teaming with life. I just don't see any evidence that any has ever visited here. And it appears that we do have a universal speed limit, so it could very well be that interstellar space travel is just not practical for any level of technology.

“ Originally Posted by Boris2

You could have just said the reasons.. those PDF's are boring, and I never got to the reason.

Anyhoot if it was to do with Hawkins comments that Aliens are bad for the Earth because they will steal our resources.. I doubt it. If you can travel to Earth you will pass many resources on your way.

what of biological resources though ?

pardon
i was still harping on planets
anyways, possible contenders start at 20 light years away
current tech will take 60,000 years to get there....i think
And how much has our technology changed our travel abilities in the last 150 years?
What will one thousand years do? We can't even guess. And sure, there might be a limit, the speed of light, but we are not really in any position to judge what we ourselves might be capable of in just a couple of centuries, let alone what other species can learn in such time periods. And given that some might be orders of magnitude older than us than that

this is all speculative.

I don't know if you fit the category, but it seems to me that many people who dislike the intuitive assertions of theists and other believers in anomalous phenomena, are quite content to make assertions of liklihood based on their own intuitions

as if it wasn't merely hubris-tic guesswork.

And how much has our technology changed our travel abilities in the last 150 years?
What will one thousand years do? We can't even guess. And sure, there might be a limit, the speed of light, but we are not really in any position to judge what we ourselves might be capable of in just a couple of centuries, let alone what other species can learn in such time periods. And given that some might be orders of magnitude older than us than that

this is all speculative.

I don't know if you fit the category, but it seems to me that many people who dislike the intuitive assertions of theists and other believers in anomalous phenomena, are quite content to make assertions of liklihood based on their own intuitions

as if it wasn't merely hubris-tic guesswork.

Or... if you are more intelligent than the average person you might say 10 years! :D

Well there were incredible changes in the 50 years from 1890 to 1940. We went from horses to jets and rockets. Unfortuantely there has been little added since 1940. Our technology has progressed significantly, but our modes of transport have stagnated. The first testing of ion drive technology was even in that time frame.

That doesn't really say much about what the future holds but in the 50'S people assumed we would inhabit the solar system by now based on the rate of changes they saw.

No one voted "No" and 60% of us voted "Yes". So...We all believe in Aliens?

Back