Do you save 100,000 or 10,000?

Who do you save, read the options for dilemma 1 and 2 first

• Total voters
Considering there is no such thing as IQ, we might as well destroy the high IQ island.

Theoryofrelativity said:
Well we are taking it as read that a high quality yet numerically restricted gene pool will flurrish better than a low quality yet overwhelmingly larger pool with a massively increased diversity potential. Yeah?

imaplanck. said:
Well we are taking it as read that a high quality yet numerically restricted gene pool will flurrish better than a low quality yet overwhelmingly larger pool with a massively increased diversity potential. Yeah?

Theoryofrelativity said:
Dilemma 1)

Two options:

1a) Country with 100,000 men
starving, no education, no skills, poor.

1b) Island with 10,000 men & women
wealth, education, skills, Doctors, physicists, teachers, builders

Dilemma 2)

Who do you destroy.......no choice to save both

2a) Country with 10,000 men and women, low IQ

2b) Island with 100,000 men high IQ

does that fit in with my choices re saving 1b and 2a?

imaplanck. said:
:eek: You're saying it doesn't?

my choices are thus:

and

The lack of ability for posters to make a clear decison (or any) on these alleged simplified dilemmas is interesting but not unexpected hence I posed them.

Asking someone to decide between killing based on numbers only is apparantly easy and people have been (in other threads) opting to kill the least amount. I have thrown in some basic details that apply to real life...skill/IQ etc to see if that effects people's decision re number. Apparantly so but uncomfortably so....hence no response.

Last edited:
q0101 said:
I would save the smart people. But isn’t 1B the same thing as 2B? And how am I destroying the people. It would have been better if you wrote a scenario where you had a choice of disarming one of two nuclear bombs that was about to destroy both populations.

if it suits your conscience better see it that way, the choice is the same, someone dies.

I would be willing to sacrifice the lives of 100 people with low IQ’s to save the life of one genius. And I would be willing to sacrifice the lives of 10 people with average IQ’s to save the life of one genius. I think intelligence (logic and memory) is the most important trait that a human being can have, followed by other things like beauty and physical strength.

However, there are some geniuses that are more valuable than others. Some geniuses have good genetic traits that allow them to maintaining their normal cognitive functions when they are in a stressful environment. Some geniuses also exhibit behavior that can be associated with autism. Some geniuses are only good at specific things like math or art. The other group includes the people that seem to have advanced knowledge and skills in everything. (Math, physics, biology, chemistry, linguistics, history, art, Ect.) Some of the people in this group may not have the same talent in a specific subject as the people in the other group, but I think some of them are more valuable because of their ability to excel in any subject.

q0101 said:
I would be willing to sacrifice the lives of 100 people with low IQ’s to save the life of one genius. And I would be willing to sacrifice the lives of 10 people with average IQ’s to save the life of one genius. I think intelligence (logic and memory) is the most important trait that a human being can have, followed by other things like beauty and physical strength.

However, there are some geniuses that are more valuable than others. Some geniuses have good genetic traits that allow them to maintaining their normal cognitive functions when they are in a stressful environment. Some geniuses also exhibit behavior that can be associated with autism. Some geniuses are only good at specific things like math or art. The other group includes the people that seem to have advanced knowledge and skills in everything. (Math, physics, biology, chemistry, linguistics, history, art, Ect.) Some of the people in this group may not have the same talent in a specific subject as the people in the other group, but I think some of them are more valuable because of their ability to excel in any subject.

Is number and IQ the only thing you are considering here? Are you missing another detail?

Theoryofrelativity said:
Two dilemma's:

These are isolated and cant be inhabited at any time by anyone else.

Dilemma 1)

Two options:

1a) Country with 100,000 men
starving, no education, no skills, poor.

Dilemma 2)

2b) Island with 100,000 men high IQ

edit:
Q is complaining about reasons for destroying one or the other, ok,
I am a mad scientist and I have 5 buttons and I'm trigger happy.
Disarming/stopping me is not an option
If you don't select an option then I will blow up the entire planet, so no option selected means you select option:

3) blow up planet everyone dies including you

The greater number of people; IQ is an inadequate measure of intelligence, and does not measure wisdom, charm or personality.

Theoryofrelativity said:
ability to reproduce, to replicate?

What does that have to do with anything? Does the 110000 people in your poll represent the entire population on this planet? If it does, then I would probably change my decision. But in a overpopulated world with six billion people and growing, I think the deaths of 100000 people with low IQ’s would just create more valuable space for the rest of us.

q0101 said:
What does that have to do with anything? Does the 110000 people in your poll represent the entire population on this planet? If it does, then I would probably change my decision. But in a overpopulated world with six billion people and growing, I think the deaths of 100000 people with low IQ’s would just create more valuable space for the rest of us.

these places are isolated and cannot be inhabited by anyone else

3) blow up planet everyone dies including you

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. I would give it to the majority vote. Otherwise, I would let everyone know that the world is coming to an end and that they need have one last look.

Bowser said:
Heavy is the head that wears the crown. I would give it to the majority vote. Otherwise, I would let everyone know that the world is coming to an end and that they need have one last look.

you know when the titanic was sinking it wasn't such a hard choice

Theoryofrelativity said:
you know when the titanic was sinking it wasn't such a hard choice

<i>"Women and chidren first!"</i> You didn't offer that option.

we have many ways for deciding who lives and who dies, titanic is real example of such a choice being made. It wasn't based on number and it wasn't based on IQ /skills

Last edited:
You got me :D Okay... Nonetheless, majority vote would be the correct answer even though it wasn't the correct answer. :bugeye:

Back