Do you consider yourself a 'good person'?

Do you consider yourself a good person?

• Yes

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by Enmos
You can have your faults and still be a good person.

That's a matter of opinion. I don't think on myself as a bad person, but who does? I think it was Ralph Waldo Emmerson who said, "The meaning of good and bad, of better and worse, is simply helping or hurting." And I do a little of both.

That's a matter of opinion. I don't think on myself as a bad person, but who does? I think it was Ralph Waldo Emmerson who said, "The meaning of good and bad, of better and worse, is simply helping or hurting." And I do a little of both.

I agree with that. I don't consider myself as a good person, but I don't think I'm evil either.

I believe in doing good deeds. As a human, I naturally have flaws like everyone else. I think being labeled as a "good" person is to simple.

How can that be?

Because it's all about intention. How can you be a bad person if you're trying to do good ?

I have far too many faults to be called a 'good person'. I don't think there's anyone I know well who I haven't at some point intensely disliked.

Individuals always have faults. Not only is it human, but also constructively critical to dislike people you know well or are good friends with. Well, not dislike the person as a whole, but at least voice your criticism or dislike of certain aspects of that person.

You can have your faults and still be a good person.
I agree with that. I don't consider myself as a good person, but I don't think I'm evil either.
I guess it depends on the person's faults and who's judging that matters.
Eye of the beholder. Like can attract like, and like can judge like. Evil can regard itself as the ultimate good.:eek:
Good IS a relative term, depending on whose standards. Some of the worst people have regarded themselves as the highest good.

Nah, Enmos is Dutch, which at least makes him sexy. And sexy people are good! ;)

Dutch is a sexy language, at least.

Most people do a little of both.
I do think there is ultimately a universal template for good.

Personally I find that people I like embody these qualities:

-Overall interesting to talk to
-Has sense of humor (extremely important to me)
-Does not have excessive ego or self-importance
-Doesn't have petty dislikes of other people
-Generally empathetic towards humans and animals
-Willing to recognize when one is wrong

"Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so"

Hamlet, Bitches!.

That doesn't mean that good and bad don't exist. They are concepts we often refer to, especially when judging the qualities of a person.
Hamlet may of said that, but he himself considered his uncle to be so bad that he wanted to send him to hell.

Individuals always have faults. Not only is it human, but also constructively critical to dislike people you know well or are good friends with. Well, not dislike the person as a whole, but at least voice your criticism or dislike of certain aspects of that person.

Nah, I pretty much dislike them as a whole.

I do think there is ultimately a universal template for good.

Personally I find that people I like embody these qualities:

-Overall interesting to talk to
-Has sense of humor (extremely important to me)
-Does not have excessive ego or self-importance
-Doesn't have petty dislikes of other people
-Generally empathetic towards humans and animals
-Willing to recognize when one is wrong

Sense of humour? Pretty much irrelevant either way. Interesting to talk to? Personally I'd find it fascinating to converse with a serial killer (albeit a bit unnerving). Empathy? Is someone with Asperger syndrome a bad person?

Surely it's all a matter of intent.

Is there such thing as a 'good person' per say?
What characteristics would you say make somebody a good person?
Do you consider yourself a good person?

A good person is some one who strives to do good and avoid doing ill and is able succeed at this reasonably more than they fail.

Surely it's all a matter of intent.

Intent is nice to smooth out a few rough edges but follow through is what most people go by for the long haul.

For example when you are gravely ill do you select people who intend to be doctors or people who actually are doctors.

Because it's all about intention. How can you be a bad person if you're trying to do good ?

I know of many people who have good intentions and who think it is all about intention. They live in psych wards or on the streets or something like that.

Just treat others as you want to be treated and respect others as you want to be respected as well.:itold:

Back