Do wild African Dogs (Hyenas) Have A God?

superluminal

I am MalcomR
Valued Senior Member
Hyenas live in communal groups called "clans" and are a matriarchal society.

They have the following basic moral attributes:

- They do not kill their own kind
- They care for their young. Pups (after a certain point) are raised in a communal den where mothers all share rearing dutys and intercede in disputes
- They care for older and injured members of their clan
- They never kill more than they can eat.
- They share food and rarely fight over a kill as each individual knows and respects its place in the hierarchy.
- They show great affection for members of the clan (playing, caretaking, nuzzling, cuddling)
- They do not interbreed
- They protect and defend their territory as a group
- They are at a loss without the company of their fellow Hyenas.
- Males will forego a "fair" share of food to give extra to his pregnant mate

There may be more, but I think this is enough to start with.

So, do hyenas have a god of morality? As humans supposedly do? If so, who's god is better? I could argue easily for the hyena's.

Last edited:
All animals follow God. Animals don't have free will so God controls them. When we look at small insects, it's easy to see that "God" controls them, since they're so perfect. They never do mistakes. If a lion kills, it has not sinned. Animals can never do anything wrong. God has set different laws for animals and humans.

There is only one God. He also created the hyenas.

§outh§tar said:
Yorda, do you believe what you are saying?

I don't believe, nor do I disbelieve, my own words - I remain neutral in all matters about which I write. I offer an alternate perspective, which is no more or less true than any other. Truth is subjective.

He who has ears will hear that every word is true.

Last edited:
superluminal said:
Yorda funny. Him devils advocate. Ha. Ha.

your true face... what kind of... face is it? i wonder.. the fAce under the mask.... is that... your true face?

.kj.... .

!d

you don't hav3 any masks left, do you? well, let's do something else. let's play good guys against bad guys.... yes. let's play that.

are you ready? you're the bad guy. and when you're bad, you just run. that's fine, right?

well......

shall we play?

Yorda,

I told you. I am INFINITE! I have all faces. All masks.

I run. I attack. I negotiate, I destroy, I create. I hide, I lead, I follow, I praise, I ridicule. Mostly, I laugh.

Let's play!

superluminal said:
So, do hyenas have a god of morality? As humans supposedly do? If so, who's god is better? I could argue easily for the hyena's.
Lassie... :D

Sorry couldn't resist..

:p

Yorda said:
All animals follow God. Animals don't have free will so God controls them. When we look at small insects, it's easy to see that "God" controls them, since they're so perfect. They never do mistakes. If a lion kills, it has not sinned. Animals can never do anything wrong. God has set different laws for animals and humans.

How do you know... 'cause you read it in some stupid book?

Lassie...

Of course! It was so obvious! Thanks! :D

"There's a hyena pup in trouble girl? Where?"

"WOOF"

"At the water hole by the old baobab tree?

"WOOF WOOF"

And his mom is trying to fend off an entire pride of lions by herself?

"WOOF"

"Let's go girl!"

So, where are all the theists explaining how the morality of humans is fundamentally different and better than that of dogs?

I'm panting with anticipation...

s0meguy said:
How do you know... 'cause you read it in some stupid book?

I didn't read it in a book. Just because something is written in a book doesn't mean its true. How do you know the sun exists? I know this for the same reason.

superluminal said:
So, where are all the theists explaining how the morality of humans is fundamentally different and better than that of dogs?

Ain't no theist, and I don't think I'll comment on the "better" part of the question, but .....the morality of humans are fundamentally different from dogs and other animals because humans have learned how to lie!! Lies and the manipulation of the truth seems to be a major and fundamental difference between humans and the "lower" animals.

Baron Max

I didn't read it in a book. Just because something is written in a book doesn't mean its true. How do you know the sun exists? I know this for the same reason.

Let's have it then. Put up or shut up. How do you know that your statement is true:

in the same way that we know the sun exists?

Yorda said:
All animals follow God. Animals don't have free will
But....animals DO have free will. Ever read "Gorillas In The Mist"?
Read it, and you will learn that other animals (whether they be insect, hyena, gorilla, or dog) have free will, emotions, and they make mistakes all the time.

superluminal said:
Hyenas live in communal groups called "clans" and are a matriarchal society.

They have the following basic moral attributes:

- They do not kill their own kind
- They care for their young. Pups (after a certain point) are raised in a communal den where mothers all share rearing dutys and intercede in disputes
- They care for older and injured members of their clan
- They never kill more than they can eat.
- They share food and rarely fight over a kill as each individual knows and respects its place in the hierarchy.
- They show great affection for members of the clan (playing, caretaking, nuzzling, cuddling)
- They do not interbreed
- They protect and defend their territory as a group
- They are at a loss without the company of their fellow Hyenas.
- Males will forego a "fair" share of food to give extra to his pregnant mate

There may be more, but I think this is enough to start with.

Let us wait till they start talking. Then each one will have its own God.

Back