Do we own our organs?

@ Doreen:

This thread is an offshoot of the "other one" which was declared taboo. However, the issues are unrelated

I don't think people own their bodies at all.

If everyone accepted this, think of all the scientific achievement we could have through experimentation? We could ignore silly religious burial rules. (Judeo-Christian/Muslim come to mind)

Starvation? No big deal! Slavery? Why not! The sky's the limit!

@ Doreen:

This thread is an offshoot of the "other one" which was declared taboo. However, the issues are unrelated

I missed the 'other one', but I'll keep this unrelatedness on the hush, hush.

I do think that organs are finders keepers. Sort of like mushrooms in the woods. I have no idea if the Israeli army views things this way and besides I would never raise an issue unrelated to this one in this way.

It depends on your system of morality. If you follow a strict "do whatever maximizes benefit for the greatest many" system, then perhaps it would be moral. But the vast majority of people don't use such a moral system.
Oh pretty much all of them do when it suits them. When they fight wars they kill civilians, use land mines that will kill children for decades after the war, etc. Car companies calculate the likely number of deaths a certain feature might prevent and then compare litigation costs vs. production costs. The companies that make Prozac decided to hide information regarding the suicidal tendencies their product created. Most middle class Westerners choose pretty much every day to NOT SAVE a poor person. What outweighs this choice? Well, it could be higher quailty food for their own children
or it could be a gameboy
or it could be hiring a stripper for a batchelor party
or it could be the price of the bullets at a shooting range...
whatever.

It seems very common to me that people decide that other people's lives are dispensible, not simply to save ours, but just for some fun.

Back